Adopting a slightly more 'aggresive' riding postion

Zoomer37
Zoomer37 Posts: 725
When lowering the bar height a few mm, how much does it throw the rest of the measurements out? i.e. seat height and for/aft

Is there a rule of thumb that when bar height go's down, seat go's back or forward a few mm?

Cheers

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It lengthens the cock pit a bit, but your seat position is the one that would remian static. If you drop the bars and it feels too long then you need a shorter stem.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you lower the height of the bars then you increase the reach to the bars however if your goal is a more "aggressive" riding position then presumably you are looking to stretch out more. How stretched out is down to what you can cope with so whether the seat goes back as well is determined by that. If you do move the seat back you will need to adjust seat height downwards.

Contrary to what some bike fitters would have you believe there is no correct position for seat position that fits everyone ie KOPS. What is correct is what is right for you.

Whatever you do only one thing at a time and test each change thoroughly.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you do move the seat back you will need to adjust seat height downwards.

Dont adjust your seat though.

You set your seat up in the correct position first, to achieve maximum comfort or power or whatever. Then adjust everything else around that.

If you start moving your seat backwards or forwards or whatever then you risk losing power or efficiency or straining yourself.

This is all assuming your seat is in the correct position to start with.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I love the fact that the swearword nanny changes cockpit to foolpit!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    How many know that their seat position is correct? Most will use a silly old wives tale to set it up and just because they don't get injured they don't try anything else because the doom and gloom merchants go into overdrive. It's one position which is just as important as every other part of the bike fit. None is more important than the other.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    doyler78 wrote:
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you lower the height of the bars then you increase the reach to the bars however if your goal is a more "aggressive" riding position then presumably you are looking to stretch out more.

Perhaps 'aero' would of been a better word for me to use. I've dropped the height about 4mm yesterday and it now feels like my back is slightly hunched even though as you said the bars are further away, but perhaps its fine and just takes a little time to adapt to the new postion.