Post ride nutrition...

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to nutrition side of cycling, i've always had sports drinks during the ride (used to be off the supermarket shelf Lucozade stuff, now moved on to SIS) but i've never really used gels, bars or shakes before...

My main thing is with SIS recovery shakes, i'm unsure when to take them!

Under what circumstances is it wrong/right to have a recovery shake?
At the moment i don't always have one, i only have one after a longer ride out on the road, or after a hard turbo training session (like one of the 'Sufferfest' videos)....is this about right?

Any advice on what's right/wrong with when to take recovery shakes please?

Thanks

S

Comments

• rock_hopper
    rock_hopper Posts: 129
    Don't think there is any hard and fast rule really, just get some good nutrition into your body within 30 minutes of finishing your training. I usually use a recovery drink after hard training/races as it's been shown that your body absorbs liquid food quicker than solid food. Makes sense really, your saving your body the job of breaking the food down. Chocolate milk is a good alternative to more expensive recovery products, it has worked for me.
  • you need protein for muscle reparir.

but...

eating the protein with high GI carbs (sugars) shuttles the protein through the system faster than normal.

but...

carbs get used with water so you need enough liquids with the carbs to make them 'work'. otherwise the carbs dehydrate you by sucking in the water from inside your body.

but...

too much liquid without electrolytes wont hydrate you properly and you can spend a lot of time in the bathroom if you dont PACE it.

so...

you can only take on so much protein, carbs and water per hour. recovery drinks conveniently combine all of the right proportions for those who dont know about the science.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... des-23620/
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    3 bottles of peroni usually do the trick for me
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    What a load of crap. After a ride you need to get proper nutrition for recovery. Drinking three bottles of lager is going to inhibit recovery considerably.

I highly recommend Bateman's Combined Harvest and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout - proper recovery drinks.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Herbsman wrote:
    What a load of crap. After a ride you need to get proper nutrition for recovery. Drinking three bottles of lager is going to inhibit recovery considerably.

I highly recommend Bateman's Combined Harvest and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout - proper recovery drinks.

I prefer Guiness :lol:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Chocolate milk apparently does the job for recovery as well as the overpriced branded stuff like SiS and For Goodness Shakes (and not just because this article says so). It has what the body needs, as do a number of 'normal' foods, namely carbs & protein at a decent ratio and easily digestible. See http://www.cptips.com/chocmlk.htm and others.

http://www.training4cyclists.com/5-simp ... -recovery/

If it's after a time trial then it should be cake. It's the Law!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Herbsman wrote:

snarf!

I think if you're not going to be getting any decent solid food in you within a short time after a ride then these recovery shakes probably do a job.

I just had a High5 protein shake, chocolate - not bad. Half a pint of milk and a banana also, and then I felt like I could go and take a shower etc without thinking I should be getting 'real food' inside me.

Also probably makes me less ravenous when I come to put lunch on and I won't pour a crate of pasta into the pan.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    save your cash and buy the following for recovery
    1 loaf wholemael bread
    1 tin HEINZ baked beans-only HEINZ
    perfect recovery food as is scrambled egg on toast, wash down with a good cup of tea-2 sugars then a banana
    Tastes much better than some of the recovery stuff out there...and a lot cheaper in the long run.
  • Herbsman
    dave35 wrote:
    save your cash and buy the following for recovery
    1 loaf wholemael bread
    1 tin HEINZ baked beans-only HEINZ
    perfect recovery food as is scrambled egg on toast, wash down with a good cup of tea-2 sugars then a banana
    Tastes much better than some of the recovery stuff out there...and a lot cheaper in the long run.
    What a load of rubbish.

Aldi beans are perfectly acceptable.

Apart from that, spot on post. One thing you benefit from with proper food is the fibre content. Recovery drinks might get the carbs and protein to your muscles faster but that's probably not beneficial to long term health.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Beans on toast. Mmmmmmm................. food of champions.

..................and students. :D
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Heinz are the only beans..the best for trumpeting after a hard work out
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    Did 50 miles yesterday, ended up stopping off at the cycling club night. Had two pints of Worthington's Creamflow felt great today, instead of my usual grumpy aching git that I usually am.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    SIS Rego Chocolate with skim milk is far cheaper than buying plain chocolate milk - and has most 'stuff' in it you need for recovery (assuming you buy a big enough tub of the Rego).

I mix mine with part milk and part water (for volume). It's the tastiest stuff I've ever tried.

It's not a replacement for good nutrition - it's why they call them SUPPLEMENTS.
  • Herbsman
    Did you get a little bit ANGRY then?
  • simon_e
    Pokerface wrote:
    SIS Rego Chocolate with skim milk is far cheaper than buying plain chocolate milk - and has most 'stuff' in it you need for recovery (assuming you buy a big enough tub of the Rego).
    Really? SiS REGO 1.6 kg (16 servings) = £23.85 at Wiggle, and that's without the cost of the milk you add to it, but you do get some Aspartame thrown in for free. That is 'stuff' I would rather do without, thanks. It's mostly maltodextrin, soya protein isolate, vitamins and minerals. For plebs like me it's not really that different from soya chocolate milk (94p/litre) or cow chocolate milk.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Beer might not be quite as daft as you'd think. Here. OK, maybe not everyday and I don't think drinking 10 pints is x10 times better than one.
  • Herbsman
    edited May 2011
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Beer might not be quite as daft as you'd think. Here. OK, maybe not everyday and I don't think drinking 10 pints is x10 times better than one.
    fox news? ffs. poor.

That article is an excellent example of what's wrong with science reporting in the media.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Simon E wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Really? SiS REGO 1.6 kg (16 servings) = £23.85 at Wiggle, and that's without the cost of the milk you add to it, but you do get some Aspartame thrown in for free. That is 'stuff' I would rather do without, thanks. It's mostly maltodextrin, soya protein isolate, vitamins and minerals. For plebs like me it's not really that different from soya chocolate milk (94p/litre) or cow chocolate milk.

If you use the 1000g serving size, then yes - only 16 servings. But that's WAY too much! I use one scoop and that size bottle lasts me months (plus I pay £20) for it.

Nothing wrong with Aspartame either - unless you are already drinking 16 cans of Diet Coke a day also :roll:

Sorry - I guess I just got suckered by marketing again. :oops:
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I read a popular French language cycling mag last year which said that one small beer at the end of a hard cycling day (post massage, shower, recovery food etc) was a good idea as it was ' cleansing' - which sounds fine by me! :D
  • EightOhEight
    EightOhEight Posts: 170
    I put 2 bananas a spoonfull of peanut butter and 3/4 of a pint of milk in a blender when I get in from a ride for a homemade shake. followed by a cup of tea and some homemade fruitcake. I always treat myself to a bottle of Pinot Noir in the evening after a long ride - I've earnt it.
  • Herbsman
    You've earnt poisoning yourself? Weird mindset, that. I know, 'cause I once shared it.

I don't want to turn this topic into a pro vs. anti alcohol debate, but people underestimate the damage alcohol does to their bodies. As much as I love the taste of good ale and good wine and enjoy drinking it, especially after a long, hard ride - I think if you've been out riding hard, you've worked hard, and you don't deserve that bodily damage in return for your hard work... you've earnt something that actually benefits you physically. Sex and hot chocolate maybe, not booze!

Each to his own though, nobody owns our bodies but ourselves.
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    Sh*t, better cut out the 20 Woodbines then as well.
  • EightOhEight
    EightOhEight Posts: 170
    cipollini4.jpg
  • simon_e
    Pokerface wrote:
    If you use the 1000g serving size, then yes - only 16 servings. But that's WAY too much! I use one scoop and that size bottle lasts me months (plus I pay £20) for it.
    Somewhat more economical.
    Nothing wrong with Aspartame either
    Sorry, can't agree on that.

If you really want it sweetened (why?) surely a natural sugar source wouldn't be so terrible?
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Its very true you should eat within 30-45 mins of finishing any exercise as the muscles you have broken down and energy stores used up need to be re fueled.

Otherwise you body will break itself down to replenesh its stores in anticipation of another bout of exercise.

You body can take on board roughly 20-25g of protein per 2-3 hrs so no more than this per meal is recommended but you can eat plenty of carbs.

Usually low gi carbs (slow energy release) are good for repleneshing your stores and the faster absorbing ones during your work out to give you a boost.

Dont overlook the importance of repleneshing your energy throughout your exercise in the form of energy drinks and nutrition bars or the odd banana. This will stop your body going into a starvation phase if you cant eat within the best time frame after exer ise.

I shop at www.myprotein.com they have lots of protein/carb/recovery drink products which are very well priced and can fill gaps when you cant get proper food inside you but having a nutrition/protein/energy bar in you bike bag/car/cupboards is a great idea.

Xommul
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    As for alcohol and smoking

Everyone knows that in moderation alcohol can be beneficial but too much will make you sluggish and lethargic, goes straight on as fat and can damage you liver.

Smoking - i smoked for about 3 years then kicked it, long time ago aswell, i know how addictive it is including the habbits formed along side, you need to kick this as it will kill you and will stop you getting the most from your lungs.

But....

Life is meant for enjoying, you only get one shot at it.....make the most of it either way!
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Herbsman
    Simon E wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Somewhat more economical.
    Nothing wrong with Aspartame either
    Sorry, can't agree on that.

If you really want it sweetened (why?) surely a natural sugar source wouldn't be so terrible?
    But real sugar contains CALORIES! And it does stuff to your INSULIN LEVELS!

brunette_screaming2.gif