New North West Top Secret Sportive

2»

Comments

• Just to let you know, we raised £3500 for Claire House.
    I agree that the north Wirral section was unnecessary, and a route that included a bit of Wales would be good. I think this route was trying to be true to one of Steve's training rides, and to confirm for you he wasn't there, he was riding in the Vattenfall Cyclassics. All in all a good day, and planning is now under way for next years.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Hey Palefish,

It was me who sent the original route to Shaun (think it was Shaun). The route I sent is the actual route that Steve had printed in Cycling Weekly a few years back. Since then, it's become a firm favourite of mine and Frank Kinlan. The actual route takes in Oil Sites road (again, another road that I complained should have been included, not pretty, but it's true to Steve's original route, and there is actually a reason why he chooses to go down such an ugly road which I will share with you some time).

For whatever reason, the route was then changed significantly, including reversing the direction, cutting out Oil Sites, cutting out Missing Link and others. But yeah, I understand the organisers have other motives.

Looking forward to next year's.

Edit to add: Oil sites road may be ugly, but it's exceptionally quiet, smooth, and remains the safest and quickest way in and out of Delamere.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Did they ever announce who won the raffle prizes ?

They had some good stuff up for grabs - frame, helmet, oakleys, jerseys etc etc.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    A mate of mine was in the shop one day when the winner of the frame came in for a fitting. I didn't win anything though :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pah. I liked the look of that frame.

Don't know why they haven't announced all this on the website - you'd think they'd want to share the good news ?