New North West Top Secret Sportive

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited September 2011 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Hi chaps, just a heads up for this sportive which starts in the beautiful Ness Gardens. Its organised by the vita cycle shop.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/71302/The-Vita-Due

Although it doesnt say so on that link there was on on the road.cc website which said that every entrant is entered into a draw for a Kuota bike. and discounted entry to ness gardens. I'll try and find the link.

Enny way it lux good. I'm going to give it a pop.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Oops, if anybody read it, my post was not meant to be in this thread :oops:
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Cleat Eastwood
    The date for this has been changed apparently from june 19th to august 21st, if anyones doing it, according to the liverpool mercury website

"IRBY-based cycling shop Vita Cycles will be hosting their 'Vita Due Sportive' on Sunday 21st August instead of June 19th.

Starting and finishing at Ness Botanical Gardens in South Wirral, Vita have put together a sportive consisting of two routes - 35-mile & 85-mile."
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Yep, it's now called the Steve Cummings challenge ride or something :)
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Any route details?
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    So not only the dates have changed but also the event name?

:lol:
  • dodgy
    I've asked the organisers for route details more than once "still being finalised" is the answer :|
    For me, it's the route that draws interest, no route - no interest.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    dodgy wrote:
    I've asked the organisers for route details more than once "still being finalised" is the answer :|
    For me, it's the route that draws interest, no route - no interest.

They did a tweet though saying that routes had been emailed to those who have entered, so maybe they're changing the route too, our steve does like a bit of hill climbing.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    so they've changed the date, the name, and they don't know the route yet...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Garz
    maddog 2 wrote:

So "New North West Sportive" should read:

"Secretive yet undecided Sportive"
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Garz wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:

So "New North West Sportive" should read:

"Secretive yet undecided Sportive"

Ha ha, or the 'come on steve giz a clue' sportive. I've now fixed the title.....watch this space.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    sure its in the North West!
  • dodgy
    Searching Garmin Connect, this is probably the original route http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82060832
    With Steve's involvement, I expect the route to feature more hills and more time in Wales.
    It is strange to market a sportive with no route though, talk about putting the cart before the horse.
    The lads in the shop are top blokes though, honestly, they'll have a plan, even if we can't see it yet :lol:
  • dodgy
    Some more detail on the site now.

http://www.vitacycles.co.uk/vita_due_sportive
  • Garz
    Oooh shiny updates!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Apparently if he's around Cummings will be riding it. It's on the same day as the geoff thomas ride though, although this one is nearer.....mmm if only I could see the route.
  • dodgy
    I've made my thoughts on the route a few times now, it's up to Vita now, they seem to want to keep the route largely private and only release to people who have registered.

Their call I guess! I hope it's a success, it's a great shop and they have worked very hard in the short time they've opened. They run Saturday morning rides from their shop and supply coffee before hand and sandwiches after! They also have a qualified coach riding with the Saturday morning rides who's on hand for advice if you ask for it.

Great stuff.
  • dodgy
    Any of you lot riding it this Sunday? Assuming you can crack the code to obtain the route (I haven't).
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'm not Dave (I know you'll be surprised at that!! ;) )

I should be heading over for the Geoff Thomas ride myself if you're interested. That route looks great - loads of hills of up to 20%. Waiting on new bars / stem though so may end up staying local as my bike fit isn't perfect at the moment.

To be fair to Vita, the route (assuming its the one i think it is - which i ride a fair bit of every week as the start is 20 mins cycle ride from my home) does have some nice roads on it - especially the area East of Chester towards Delamere. See Dave's link posted - which I was riding with Ade who plotted it

Anyway - baffling decision to keep it secret (unless you register and pay £25ish) really. With the Geoff Thomas ride on the other side of Cheshire - you'd think they'd want to publish to give the option of type of ride / hardness to pick from to those in the North West area. Seems more paranoia than anything judging by the messages i've received lately.

So has anyone registered and got the route yet??
  • dodgy
    And the Geoff Thomas route is readily available for examination in the 2 links at the bottom of this page http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/events/

86miles
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/events/route/5.htm

26miles
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/events/route/4.htm
  • I got the Route today, via email as a PDF and a link to a downloadable GPS route. It looks like there will be plenty of people taking part, but if anyone cant make it there is an opportunity to sponsor those riding and help raise as much money as we can for Claire house, after all, it is a charity sportive!! http://www.justgiving.com/vitacycles
    Thanks
  • dodgy
    Anyone ride it then? I did, I enjoyed it too. A bit weird almost riding past your house twice on a sportive, though :lol:

Lots of talk of another event next year, building on the success. A few improvements could be made and I'm confident the guys have it in hand.
  • dodgy wrote:
    Anyone ride it then? I did, I enjoyed it too. A bit weird almost riding past your house twice on a sportive, though :lol:

Lots of talk of another event next year, building on the success. A few improvements could be made and I'm confident the guys have it in hand.

What was the turn out like. I've been laid low with a chesty cough and try as i might I couldnt shake it for last sunday.

Was the route the one you posted the link to, and did cummings show, and what the grub like?
  • dodgy
    This was the route (I guess the embargo has now been lifted :lol: ) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/641263

Turn out was decent, well lots of people milling about at the beginning and end, nothing like the same turnout as one of the established sportives, but I don't think anyone was expecting that.

I didn't see Cummings, and don't think he was there (thought I may be corrected). Food at the 2 food stops were biscuits, gels, fruit juices, bananas but plenty of it. Post ride there was a pretty decent BBQ for free, nice burgers (I had 2 :oops: ).

All in, 103 miles for me as I rode to the start and from the finish. If was asked for my opinion, I would drop the North Wirral part of the route for traffic reasons and exchange it for a deeper ride into Cheshire, or maybe include North Wales as well as Cheshire.

Like I said, it's the first time for this event, I guess some things will change next year but I was happy to be there to support it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I only had time for the small route :oops:

Very low key event - some arrows werent very obvious, and we made a couple of wrong turns, but I needed all the miles we could get..

Dont understand coming back down the Welsh Road. I never ride that - fast busy and narrow. There was no need - we could have extended the loop at any point and just come back thru the missing link ?

I enjoyed the burgers - but just the one for me !
  • cougie
    I only had time for the small route :oops:

Very low key event - some arrows werent very obvious, and we made a couple of wrong turns, but I needed all the miles we could get..

Dont understand coming back down the Welsh Road. I never ride that - fast busy and narrow. There was no need - we could have extended the loop at any point and just come back thru the missing link ?

I enjoyed the burgers - but just the one for me !
  • dodgy
    Cougie, I argued long and hard about using the Missing Link instead of the Welsh Road, I couldn't understand it either :?: I think some people thought it was too 'offroad' or something (tell it to Paris Roubaix organisers ;) ).

I might have seen you at the post ride BBQ, I was chatting with Ian Fagan for a while.
  • cougie
    Missing Link is definitely preferable. The Liverpool to Chester uses it with no bother and I'd really not take kids down the Welsh Road - its just nasty.

Aah yes I was looking at the purdy bikes. I'll see you next year then - will be up for the proper ride next time.
  • I would also drop the North Wirral loop although it's probably included so everyone gets to see the shop.

If they wanted to keep it in then I would suggest reversing the route to do that loop in the morning when the traffic is quieter. It was very congested in Heswall when we got there.

The signage could do with being a bit more conspicuous and on a stiffer material. Signs on lampposts just curled round the post and were difficult to spot.

All in all a good first event with plenty of potential for future years.
  • dodgy
    IF you went through Heswall, you went the wrong way :) Should have gone down into lower Heswall at the junction of A540 and Thurstaston road right here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.33291,-3.107007&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&num=1&vpsrc=0&z=16 which is never congested (unless it was when you went down there for some reason).