Have you spotted any eccentric commuters?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I've now spotted the same character a couple of times so I would class him as a cycling commuter. He weaves in an out of cars whooping and shouting with the odd arm wave like a rodeo rider and seems to be having a wild time of it.

I admire the risk taking, even if it seems like he'll come to a sticky end. Sadly he does the same to people on crossings and and it does cause some fright.

So, do you spot any characters on your your commute?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Priceless, can you export him to rural Oxfordshire to brighten up rubbish days?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Seen a bloke a few times cycling with an American Football Helmet and shirt on.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    In a similar vein, I've seen a guy a few times in full downhill body armour. A touch excessive I thought but each to their own.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    When I used to commute to 6th form there was a women would be on a normal women's bike. She was probably mid 40s, grey long hair, enormous 80's snooker player type glasses. A real socks with sandles type.

What was funny was that she probably moved her upper body up and down whilst in the saddle more than her legs were moving. Every half pedal she would go from the totally upright position to totally bent over and back up again.

Absolutely bizzare.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I saw a guy on Tuesday on Embankment who was wearing what looked like checked woven boxer shorts and a very baggy day-glo castelli jacket. Bizarre.

The shorts looked like this
    http://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/prin ... e_id=33609
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    This time of year I'd call anyone in full length gear eccentric. I see some in full length leggings AND jackets and I wonder what they pour their sweat into when they arrive...

I might have to forgo my shoulder bag and get something that has venting on my back :(
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Occasionally see a guy on Filton Road in Bristol - MTB commuter, but wear lycra short with full upper body armour and a downhill mtb race helmet.

Looks kinda odd, skinny legs and then a load of armour plating.....
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    pianoleo wrote:

No. MUCH MUCH shorter. Really very much boxer short length.
  • davmaggs
    Priceless, can you export him to rural Oxfordshire to brighten up rubbish days?

He'd be a tricky one to catch, worse than a wet bar of soap. Plus he is quicker than me so I'd need a team.

is there such thing as rodeo tourettes?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Its gotta be the gangly guy with the radio blaring out on his handlebars that shouts at everyone on NKR...
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I've seen a student unicycle to school.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    When I lived in rural North Suffolk (is there any other kind of North Suffolk?) we had a guy called the Sheriff of Oakley who would ride into Diss on market days in his cowboy outfit with a packet of Players No.6 in each holster.
    He made an occasional appearance in Mere Quacks, the local Diss Express cartoon.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    notsoblue wrote:
    Its gotta be the gangly guy with the radio blaring out on his handlebars that shouts at everyone on NKR...

I for one would not get in his way.
  • SEone
    SEone Posts: 6
    Sketchley wrote:

I've seen him a few times too, comes up from Kennington Road through Elephant and up to London bridge.

When I passed him last, his back brake was unhooked, maybe that's why he cycles in the helmet :lol:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gussio wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I *really* wanna meet this guy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    When I used to live reet oop north leek (Islington), I quite often saw a guy who rode a tourer in the classic tourer style - that's to say on the drops with his back so horizontal that you could eat your lunch on it, and with his saddle so high he was on tip toe at the bottom of each pedal stroke.

He sported reading glasses, a 'tache, and had his trousers tucked into his socks. And he would rarely not be hectoring traffic at the top of his top (which was predictably nasal) for any and everything that displeased him.

I believe him to have been what is known as "a local character".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When I have to drive (different timing) I see a guy on tri bars, that may not seem excessive until you realise this is a very rough country lane where the top dressing has peeled back in many places leaving a succesion of 1/2" up and down steps, in one place it's so rough I can't read my gear indicater its vibrating so much it becomes a blur.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&h ... 54.11,,0,0

Before last winters attrition I would add!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cjcp wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Not seen him for a few years, so perhaps he is now a thing of legend? He rode an MTB with nobblies, always in prime position, at around 40mph on the flat :shock: The boy would have been awesome on a road bike.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Zachariah wrote:
    I've seen a student unicycle to school.

My brother used to do this in Fareham, good 3 miles or so.

During the winter I saw a girl riding over Tower Bridge in the rain in hot pants and wellies which I thought was quite a fashion statement.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    When I was at Uni (many years ago) I used to see a guy on his bike with a bucket on his head and a slit cut out where his eyes were.

There's an old guy who I often see cycling down my road (I think he turns left at the end, goes back down the road behind us and then comes back, basically doing laps) and he wears a skin tight vest, VERY short shorts (I'm not sure how his junk doesnt fall out) and flip flops. All year round.

I also often see a uni-cyclist, spinning hell for leather, holding onto his seat like his life depended on it. It must take him forever to get to where he's going - seems like a lot of energy spent for not much forward propulsion.

Whatever floats your boat...
  • Seen a guy a few times around the Southbank - Slick MTB/Hybrid thing, Tracksuit tucked into Socks, Trainers, Rucksack... very slow, usually on pavement & wearing a TT helmet! Looks very odd - anyone seen him?
  • When I used to commute to 6th form there was a women would be on a normal women's bike. She was probably mid 40s, grey long hair, enormous 80's snooker player type glasses. A real socks with sandles type.

What was funny was that she probably moved her upper body up and down whilst in the saddle more than her legs were moving. Every half pedal she would go from the totally upright position to totally bent over and back up again.

Absolutely bizzare.

There is a delivery guy (sandwiches or something) that rides up Greys Inn rd like this - pulling a big trailer too! Looks sooo painful!
  • davmaggs
    Gussio wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Not seen him for a few years, so perhaps he is now a thing of legend? He rode an MTB with nobblies, always in prime position, at around 40mph on the flat :shock: The boy would have been awesome on a road bike.

The nut in my original post is on a similar machine with a high viz builders vest. I tend to spot him around Clapham, looks about 30ish from a distance.
  • Crawler2
    Crawler2 Posts: 29
    Few years back, I used to see a mosnter of a man, thighs like tree truunks, calves like hams, on a single speed/fixie round the Tower Bridge Road/Minories area. He always wore a bowler hat.

Made it look cool though.
    My legs really ache.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    There was a fella heading down the strand this morning, with regular sport shorts, trainers, rucksack and helmet, but no shirt/top whatsoever - just a rather large amount of grey/greying body hair across a not insubstantial frame!!

Very strange - looked like it was his normal commuting getup too
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    SEone wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I've seen him a few times too, comes up from Kennington Road through Elephant and up to London bridge.

When I passed him last, his back brake was unhooked, maybe that's why he cycles in the helmet :lol:

Me too. I said to him, 'mate, I gotta ask why you are wearing that?'

well, he says, I already own it so it saves me spending £50 on a cycle lid. Fair enough, says i

plus, he says, it gives me better protection if i were in a crash. Righto says I

And of course, it stops people f*cking with me.

yup, it does that too.

He is actually a nice guy; big lad too
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    But my favourite is an old boy who rides the opposite way to me every morning

Late 50/early 60's he is on a shopping bike and is always in a blue boiler suit type outfit. White beard and yellow builders lid. Rides from Colliers wood back up towards Morden

Not necessarily eccentric, I'm sure it's his work garb but he always reminds me of Papa Smurf and I find myself looking out for him.

Another guy I see on ocassions wears hi viz long sleeve jacket zipped up to neck and long trews whatever the weather plus he always wears a full face lid which is lilac with a flowery pattern on it.
    FCN = 4
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    I saw a guy yesterday, on a back road just outside Edinburgh, riding a mountain bike with with a small terrier under his arm. Very odd!
  • Just spotted a great one coming down Leith Walk. He was on one of the classic gent's bikes with a wicker basket on the back, but he'd fashioned a huge lump of a wind-brake/fairing for the front out of fibreglass, it looked as though he'd have no chance of seeing past it. Worse still, he was wearing those dark-red ski-goggles. How he could see anything is beyond me.

Plus, get this, he was wearing a hi-viz jacket. Lol!