Tour Of Pembrokshire - 12th June

2»

Comments

• jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    Yup, I bailed and did the 82miler. 5 1/2 hours of fun in the sun :roll:
    Respect to the 118milers.
    Such a shame about the weather cos that route would have been superb otherwise.
    I thought the organisation and signage was really good and a massive thank you to all the volunteers who were standing around in that all day.
    I'll have another go next year, just hope the weather's better! :)
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Did the long route. although if you'd met me in the car park in the pissing rain before it started I would have convinced you I was doing one of the shorter routes, but the choice came to early and I decided I wasn't getting any wetter.

Wettest day on bike I've ever had, never ridden for nearly 8 hours in mostly heavy rain and strong winds , had about 30 mins of semi dry conditions.

GPS said long route was 119.5 and when I left for home I had 8th fastest time at a pitiful 8:27 says it all really! Brutal :D

I was the bloke on a Focus Cayo in white Gore Jacket and chatted to some sound people whilst riding along, sort of enjoyed it once I'd got used to be soaked and the chance of being blown off the bike lessened.

All in all though, despite the weather, have to say one of the best organised events I've been on, food stations all good, signage perfect as far as I could see and plenty of marshals in right places. Weather can't that bad next year will be back to have a proper go at it in hopefully decent conditions.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Most of the dodgy road surfaces seem to have been sorted btw, as far as I could see the roads were in great shape, with the odd exception.

The only thing I struggled with was not being able to see at all on some descents due to horizontal rain ( and no specs I guess ).
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I sat watching the rain all day (in Swansea) then got bored and ventured out for a short 90min loop, I dont know how you guys managed to keep going for 8 or even 5 hours in those conditions.

Welldone you hard/crazy bastards :shock:
  • First sportive for the wife and I. Both well chuffed to have got round the short course in the conditions. We met at uni canoe club where we stayed drier than yesterday without doubt. Driving home with wet gear stinking the car out bought back memories. One of these in the dry won't seem the same. Organisation seemed good to us. Entered thick 'fog' with my new white Mavic top on only to find it was just dense smoke for 100 yds (thankfully as I had no lights) :D
  • jackfeeder
    Glad I did it - came 9th I think on the 85miler, 5hrs50 - quite pleased with that - not a surprise to see most people did the 64mile route. It was`very hard to turn right at Pembroke when there was the choice of the split between that extra loop!
    Though getting changed in the car and after 20mins I almost packed it in, but then got my head around the task in hand.
    Please let it be dry for The Merlin ride in a few weeks!
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • BigGar35
    BigGar35 Posts: 30
    edited December 2011
  • jackfeeder
    I'm doing the 104mile route which has changed since the first event, looks really good this year - did the 70mile one a few years. I go training up the Black Mountain quite a bit, great climb, even better descent!
    It's similar terrain to the TOP but seeing as you did the 64miler there will be a couple of much longer climbs - Black mountain and just after Brechfa.
    Great start/finish venue.
    Just hope the weather's better!