Tour Of Pembrokshire - 12th June

pantsani
pantsani Posts: 114
Anyone doing it or done before ?

Was thinking of signing up to the long route.

Comments

• jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    I'm doing it for the first time this year, wanted to do it for a while but too close to the Dragon.
    Riding the 118mile route, done a few rides down West Wales and it's going to be tough up and over The Preseli Mtns and round the coast especially if this wind doesn't clear off.
    Combined with just picking up a cold that may scupper my planned training rides this weekend I'm expecting a testing day in the saddle.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • lucca
    lucca Posts: 51
    Done the long route before. It is a testing route with quite a few short sharp climbs that eat into the legs come the end. I have paid in the past for going out too hard and fast so this year plan to pace myself a bit better this year. Its a good ride though and always well organised. . . . Fingers crossed for good weather ..... Enjoy !
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172
    I`m going, not sure if its the short or medium route for me though.

I have completed a few sportives and this is probably my favourite, its a no brainer for £20.
  • pantsani
    Thanks for the replies. All sounds pretty positive, love the area anyway and a 118 miler would be perfect, so looks like I'm in.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I did this and the dragon following each other 2 years ago.
    This is one of the prettiest routes you will do, but if you have a stiff frame and wheels, will be the hardest ride ever due to surfaces.
    I would do it on a steel frame and 32 spoke wheels and forget the carbon deep sections :D
    Many climbs some very short and steep, but as the roads are coastal and hilly and busy you will not build up speed on descents like the dragon as you have to be very carefull as they are very windy ( not wind, windy as in curves lol).
    I almost crashed into some surfers who just strolled across road just before freshwater as I was coming down the hill.
    It can also be very windy on the later part of the course which is exposed.
    That is if they do same route.
  • jackfeeder
    Well I'm not sure I'm going to make this, especially the 118mile route. Can't do any training, still got a cold and headache and coughing up a bit of phlem :( . Really pissed off as this weekend was supposed to be the last few really hard rides before winding it down a bit.
    Anyone else felt like this before a big sportive?
    Can't decide if I should go out today to see how I feel or try to rest for another day. Feeling like it's all gone t#ts up.
    Any advice?
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Its not a race so if you done the prep before now you will still be ok to fo it.
    Just do some steady rides next few days, you have two weeks yet.
  • pantsani
    Right, I'm in and looking forward to this.

@jackfeeder - just try to ride and enjoy it mate , you'll be fine with maybe the last miles being a bit painful but they generally always are tbh, if it gets too much you can always turn for home early, but I bet you don't.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Did it last year after having 6 weeks off the bike due to an inury, i took 9 hours plus, i thought it was hard, same as the 3 counties challenge, there was a boring part after the turn off after Narberth to Abergwaun, all in all a lovely ride in gods country,
  • welshside
    welshside Posts: 63
    Ive done a hard 100 miler with a stinking cold, while not the best its easily do-able.. Research suggests that performance is little effected too...
    Pembs tour is a belta too..
  • jackfeeder
    Cheers,
    been out a few times and feel ok..............................apart from a 3 week headache which I can't shift.................feels fine on the bike though!
    Fingers crossed for the weather then.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Did the 118 miler last year- same again this year. It's a great ride. Hopefully the weather will be kind as it's a long slog in the wind and rain!
  • BigGar35
    BigGar35 Posts: 30
    edited December 2011
  • jackfeeder
    Yup, weather looks dodgy, could be a strong headwind for the last 1/3rd!
    Trying to decide what to wear - all the waterproof stuff I've got is really for my autumn/winter commuting.
    Anyone recommend lightweight waterproof clothing that isn't going to cook me on the day?
  • pantsani
    Worth bearing in mind weather is always subject to massive changes, 4 days forecasts aren't particularly reliable.

If it does turn out a bit grim, for me personally as a 'sweater' it's hard not to get a bit cooked this time of year with a dedicated waterproof tbh, think I'll pack my montane velo or Gore Xenon depending on how grim it looks.
  • pantsani
    Well weather forecast still looks shite! :shock:

Ah well, this could be interesting :lol:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Gilet

and

Crud Roadracers

Good luck chaps.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jackfeeder
    B*gg*r - is it possible to cycle 118miles in a wetsuit? :shock:
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I predict a huge, last minute surge in popularity for the 63 mile option... ;)
  • jackfeeder
    How much wetter can you get from 4hrs to 8hrs? Perhaps avoiding hyperthermia will be the main triumph.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Last week the Dragon was threatened with this. The heavy rain didn't come to pass. But that was because it ended up further east.

This is a west-east approaching weather system. Little chance of it not arriving I'm afraid. It's a bugger cos this is easily the most picturesque ride around.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • BigGar35
    edited December 2011
  • pantsani
    Fingers crossed rain is intermittent, wind anywhere near 30 mph and gusting over that is normally pretty mental on a road bike.

Focussing on the positive , hopefully have a nice tail wind at the start , woop woop ! :)
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I did this and the dragon following each other 2 years ago.
    This is one of the prettiest routes you will do, but if you have a stiff frame and wheels, will be the hardest ride ever due to surfaces.
    I would do it on a steel frame and 32 spoke wheels and forget the carbon deep sections :D
    Many climbs some very short and steep, but as the roads are coastal and hilly and busy you will not build up speed on descents like the dragon as you have to be very carefull as they are very windy ( not wind, windy as in curves lol).
    I almost crashed into some surfers who just strolled across road just before freshwater as I was coming down the hill.
    It can also be very windy on the later part of the course which is exposed.
    That is if they do same route.

+1 i did it a few years ago also and the road surface was pretty horrible :lol:
  • BigGar35
    edited December 2011
  • jackfeeder
    Why couldn't it have been today - it's looking pretty shitty for tomorrow. Anyone who intended doing the 118m decided to switch to a shorter route?
  • BigGar35
    edited December 2011
  • jackfeeder
    It's a lovely night here in Swansea, the weather's taking the piss isn't it.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I was working around Goodwick this morning and saw the first riders come through at around 10 o'clock. Good luck to anyone who did the long route, it was bloody vile out there.

That hill after the seafront is a bastard, isn't it?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Yup you're right it was vile. Was a real killer!!!