EuroSport commentators

Comments

• magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    David Harmon and Sean Kelly are a great partnership. It's taken me a couple of years to get to like Sean but now I really like his insight.

Carlton Kirby or Brian Smith however make me turn the sound off / not bother watching.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Mssrs Harmon and Kelly are great. They have that test match special knack of able to keep the commentary interesting when nothing is going on. I have it on whenever possible.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    When I first tuned into a Tour stage one day out of pure boredom, I remember thinking something along the lines of, "do people actually sit and listen to this guy all day?" So ignorant..
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I like Harmon most of the time but my main gripe is he never seems to do any research. Surely it is part of his job to do this and not rely on those Twits to put him right? If I can find things out by reading mags, book or websites surely he can as well? Even Sean contradicted him the other day. Good on yer, Sean!!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    porker33 wrote:
    I was surprised at their comments today,,,particularly with respect to Contadors performance in the time trial.

They kept saying he was struggling, his cadence was too high and was in an easy gear,,,not looking his best,,,the tour had taken it's toll on him,,,,etc.....then he won the time trial by something like 38 seconds !!!!!
    nd
    You may as well have had commentators who had only ever seen a bike race once before to know that the quickest time wins.... :D
    I quite enjoyed Harmon & Kelly at the TT, after I had let go a few bollox and fer christ sake leave off's

The best bit for laughter was near the end as Nibali was about 250 m from the finish and they cut away to show Bertie under the 3 Km banner.
    The pair of wonders still maintaining that Bert was on a hiding and the gap on GC would be next to nothing.
    Pity they are not giving us times to compare with.
    Doh Ok if you say so but if you try commentating from the screen you might get something right.

Hang on chaps, Bert started 6 minutes behind Nibali and he only has less than 3Km to go which won't take 6 mins now will it.

At about the same place 250 m to go Harmon realises that something is wrong again with his mouth and Bert is going to smash the Italians yet again.
    Now he's all excited, wow.

Sean scratching his head (no doubt) says it's very decieving his cadence (is that what we called twiddling) and it didn't look like being on a good ride.

I must admit that I thought the earlier shots of Bert meant the same thing but hold on he is last man standing and being fed the times and so the shots could be when he had no pressure on that section being shown.
    The 3 Km picture said it all. :lol::lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Chung Mee
    Chung Mee Posts: 48
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Hmmmm "The Irishman called Sean" - Obviously you dont know much about cycling if you have never heard of King Kelly. Look him up on google,you might be there for a while he ONLY won 2or 3 races :roll:

I "obviously" don't know much about cycling, because I didn't know the surname of a voice-over Irishman on EuroSport, eh?

FWIW, Gazzetta, I've only been following pro tours since 2005, having taken up cycling in late 2004, so only 6 years compared with your ?? years?

Since 2004 I'm now on my 4th bike having ridden bikes 1 and 2 into the ground. I've been on cycling tours in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France. I ride every day except when it is actually snowing. For winter riding I have bought a trainer (to the astonishment of my biking buddies) to keep my miles and fitness up. My otherhalf has taken up cycling too and also rides every day. I have about 20 books on the subject which I read over and over again. In the summer I'm glued to EuroSport and follow every stage of every grand tour. Last year I organised our entire holiday in Spain around the Vuelta.............I could conduct a class on how Grand Tours work and have done on another messageboard where friendly people who are keen to learn, know nothing whatsoever on the subject.

So much for "don't know much about cycling".

:shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Chung Mee wrote:

I think he might have been shocked at not knowing who Kelly was. It's not like he was a minor name in the sport.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chung Mee wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Hmmmm "The Irishman called Sean" - Obviously you dont know much about cycling if you have never heard of King Kelly. Look him up on google,you might be there for a while he ONLY won 2or 3 races :roll:

I "obviously" don't know much about cycling, because I didn't know the surname of a voice-over Irishman on EuroSport, eh?

FWIW, Gazzetta, I've only been following pro tours since 2005, having taken up cycling in late 2004, so only 6 years compared with your ?? years?

Since 2004 I'm now on my 4th bike having ridden bikes 1 and 2 into the ground. I've been on cycling tours in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France. I ride every day except when it is actually snowing. For winter riding I have bought a trainer (to the astonishment of my biking buddies) to keep my miles and fitness up. My otherhalf has taken up cycling too and also rides every day. I have about 20 books on the subject which I read over and over again. In the summer I'm glued to EuroSport and follow every stage of every grand tour. Last year I organised our entire holiday in Spain around the Vuelta.............I could conduct a class on how Grand Tours work and have done on another messageboard where friendly people who are keen to learn, know nothing whatsoever on the subject.

Lightweight! ;-)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,658
    It's like asking "Who the bloke with the big ears" is on Match Of The Day, that's all
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    It's like asking "Who the bloke with the big ears" is on Match Of The Day, that's all

He's a part-time crisp salesman isn't he? :wink:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Chung Mee wrote:

You are Edvald Boasson Hagen and I claim my five pounds
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Chung Mee
    Chung Mee Posts: 48

What is Match of the Day?

==============================

As to this apparent ignorance of Sean Kelly, at no point did Eurosport offer his surname. Why, then, should someone be supposed to know who he is from his first name and Irish accent?

Since this "you know nothing about cycling" barb was posted, I've looked him up. According to Wiki, he was done twice for drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kelly ... %29#Doping

"Kelly tested positive twice during his career.[29] He failed tests after Paris–Brussels in 1984 and the Tour of the Basque Country in 1988."

I also see that he retired in 1994, ten years before I took a keen interest in the sport. What do you expect from contributors here? That they should know everything about everyone whom everyone mentions? Give some of us a break, please.

:?:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,658
    LangerDan wrote:
    Chung Mee wrote:

You are Edvald Boasson Hagen and I claim my five pounds

If it is Eddy Boss, he was certainly on holiday during the Tour.

Boom tish
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    Chung Mee wrote:
    Since this "you know nothing about cycling" barb was posted, I've looked him up. According to Wiki, he was done twice for drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kelly ... %29#Doping

"Kelly tested positive twice during his career.[29] He failed tests after Paris–Brussels in 1984 and the Tour of the Basque Country in 1988."

Dont read into the drug tests too much, they need to be viewed in context. Cycling in the 80's and 90's was a very different (Or so i keep telling myself) place to what it is now. Drugs were far more widely 'accepted'...

Surely your cycling books alluded to that?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Chung mee you really aren't paying attention then- Harmon frequently tells us hes with Sean Kelly or asks him about his racing.

You really cant have followed it very well for the last five years if you haven't picked this up.

And you came on here to pick on poor pronunciation that wasn't poor ! Lol !

(thats "laugh out loud" by the way. In case you've only been on the Internet for a few years)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    Chung Mee wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

sounds like you need a hobby
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    David Harmon and Sean Kelly are a great partnership. It's taken me a couple of years to get to like Sean but now I really like his insight.

Carlton Kirby or Brian Smith however make me turn the sound off / not bother watching.

thanks...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    cougie wrote:
    Chung mee you really aren't paying attention then- Harmon frequently tells us hes with Sean Kelly or asks him about his racing.

You really cant have followed it very well for the last five years if you haven't picked this up.

(thats "laugh out loud" by the way. In case you've only been on the Internet for a few years)

I think you better calm down dear 8) - And like the rest of us your obviously a lightweight who does`nt go out on the bike when it snow's - thats a sign of a big girl`s blouse. No wonder you have read 20 books on cycling you have plenty of time on your hands :D
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I think you better calm down dear 8) - And unlike the rest of us your obviously a lightweight who does`nt go out on the bike when it snow's - thats a sign of a big girl`s blouse. No wonder you have read 20 books on cycling you have plenty of time on your hands :D
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    Chung Mee

2+x=4
    what is x? :wink:

That's how you figure out it's Sean Kelly I find it hard to believe his name has never popped up in any of the 20 cycling books you've read.

Get off your horse and give the lads a break on Eurosport there much better than most football or rugby commentators on TV at the moment. Be thankful Eurosport are showing the races, and since your streaming the feed from an alternative site other than eurosport I presume you're not paying for it either am I right? So I think you don't have the right to complain. :roll:

Were you Speed King by any chance?
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Quick, someone has said something "silly" on the internet - pile in!!!!

I'm more astounded that there are posters that doen't know Brian Smith is on here! (For the record Mr Smith, I think you have a voice of liquid honey and the wisdom of Solomon!) :oops:
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    mroli wrote:
    Quick, someone has said something "silly" on the internet - pile in!!!!

I'm more astounded that there are posters that doen't know Brian Smith is on here! (For the record Mr Smith, I think you have a voice of liquid honey and the wisdom of Solomon!) :oops:

you've gone to far now... 8)
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I think they all do an excellent job, considering the amount of time they all have to fill. I can't imagine speaking for 4/5 hours everyday with only relatively brief interludes of action.

IMO Harmon sets the standard and works perfectly with Kelly providing the profesional insight.

I've only watched a few races with Brian Smith and I am getting to like him.

Carlton is a hard one to judge, he appears to be Eurosport's go to guy for any sport and therefore to expect him to be an expert on everything is ridiculous. I like the role he does for the TdF. I think that suits him perfectly. Some of his stories are excellent and he doesn't have the burden of filling hour after hour...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Harmon and Kelly have easily become the best partnership for cycling commentary. I also think backstedt is decent when on eurosport. The alternative of sherwin and liggett on ITV and in the US on verses. Once you have any grasp of riders or teams then you can probably spot riders better than sherwin and liggett. WHen I was in the US though verses do offer great coverage bar the commentary.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    BrianS wrote:

thanks...

Brian

I am surprised and probably doubt very much that you are who you say you are so:

1. If you are the Brian Smith in question then why does an intelligent feller like respond to these air heads?

2. If you are not the Brain Smith in question then bravo for winding up these air heads!

Finally in my opinion Brian's fine but Charlton does waffle rather a lot. :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    I am surprised and probably doubt very much that you are who you say you are so:

1. If you are the Brian Smith in question then why does an intelligent feller like respond to these air heads?

2. If you are not the Brain Smith in question then bravo for winding up these air heads!

Finally in my opinion Brian's fine but Charlton does waffle rather a lot. :D

No, it's Brian for sure. The more important question is what caused the change of his twitter profile pic away from a Livestrong yellow band to a BikePure band at around the time tyler confessed. :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • 3 pages and no mention of Jens 'Focht'? For shame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    3 pages and no mention of Jens 'Focht'? For shame.

Why?
  • In the content of an expansive discussion of cyclists names and their varied pronunciation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    In the content of an expansive discussion of cyclists names and their varied pronunciation.

Sounds pretty accurate to my ears.