Wind

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Yes, groan another wind thread. :roll:

I'm getting fed up with being blown around like a leaf in a gale. My bike is light, but I'm not. What are the best ways to cope with windy days like this?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    stay in. :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Peddle Up!

But the pro riders must be able to cope, and compete. How do they do it?
  • cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    Plan a route so that you're going into the wind the first half and it's behind you the second. Totally the opposite of what i did yesterday and it nearly killed me, although i changed routes along the way to stay on sheltered country roads and avoid open areas where possible.

Also try to think positive and see it as building up strength, even though it takes twice as long to get where you're going. :D
  • Peddle Up!
    I don't mind cycling against the wind. Well, not much, :) but I hate the sidewind gusts that have me over the other side of the road and in front of a car or truck!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I agree with the previous; riding in strong wind (as we did yesterday) just adds to the challenge, and can make a short-ish ride into a decent day's exercise. If its that windy I just get the heavier, alu-bike out and leave the lightweight at home. It does help!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    Just about to head out for my dose of pain!

I plan to treat the first half as a series of intervals and then marvel at how effective and quick acting they are as the 50 mile gusts blow me home at an average of 23mph!
  • -steves-
    -steves- Posts: 99
    edited May 2011
    If its dangerously windy, then out comes the turbo trainer instead, though I think today is borderline so will have to check see how strong the gusts are after work :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My plan for the weekend was hill repeats up Cairngorm, no chance. Got above the middle car park at about 1600 feet and the winds were just stupid. Did a loop through a fairly heavily forested area instead. Normally if it's windy I just go mountain biking in the forest.

I mentioned to my wife this morning that I pity anyone doing John O'Groats to Lands End this week, someone going north will have a big smile on their face though.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,282
    i'm in lanzarote for a couple of weeks cycling, first three days lovely, then...

the past 8 days it's been 30-50km/hr wind from the north

and of course, i'm staying in the south, so every day begins with a couple of hours uphill into the wind, no shelter aside from the odd volcano

that which does not kill us makes us stranger
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I passed a couple of lejog'ers today on the way in - they looked pretty happy. They'll be in Wick by lunchtime now the wind's picked up! :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I must confess, I've never found strong winds to be dangerous - and I grew up in the Fens!

What's the fear? You should be getting out more and practicing if you struggle to steer straight in the wind.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    was out on my TT bike this morning in a tailwind and going 40mph! lovely :D headwind was a bugger but i would just say get used to it, will make you a stronger rider!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Get out and ride!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    haha what a brill clip! super funny when he can't get his bike on two wheels!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Carbonne
    Carbonne Posts: 20
    Treat a headwind like a hill, tempo ride it in a gear that suits you. Hate crosswinds myself but you learn to lean into them! Makes an interesting sight for anyone following! The 30mph tailwind was great this morning though, 11 miles dispatched in 19 mins!! Quickest commute for a long time.
    It\'s not the destination that\'s important, it\'s the journey!
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    hehe bet you arent looking forward to the 10mph crawl home!! =D

That clip was awesome btw!!

For me this is dangerous wind... I live in a fairly "trafficky" area where driving licenses are given away with every bottle of WKD/Super Tennants, so im staying in and revising for my exams!!

Took a trip about half a mile to the shop and felt really bad for the guys I saw passing through Dartford on a club ride! Gonna be hell getting back =)
    exercise.png
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    severe weather warning in force around here, so no bike today 60-70 mph winds forcast.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I must confess, I've never found strong winds to be dangerous - and I grew up in the Fens!

What's the fear? You should be getting out more and practicing if you struggle to steer straight in the wind.

Not too many bridges like this in the fens from what I remember

63_dingwall2.jpg

On one side a 4' barrier stopping you falling 40m into the North Sea. On the other side, a 3' Armco barrier preventing you going under the wheels of a 40T artic. And about 4' between the two... Now add a 40mph cross-wind with variable lea of the trucks. That is dangerous.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Get out and ride!

Flipping 'eck! An airborne bike. :shock:
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    I rode the Cross Border 100 yesterday... was really windy and when the rain came through it was damp to say the least.
    So a pretty hard 100 miles!!
    But a great day out, so it would be fab to get more riders next year
    take a look at http://www.action.org.uk/cross_border_100_scotland
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    well it was miserable commute this morning into the wind and rain, but then 19.9 mph average on way back home with 38 mph coming down from Waterloo Place.

Got to take the rough with the smooth
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Riding on deep rims is interesting in this current windy climate.

Did 115 miles trying to keep my bike in a straight line yesterday.

Lush
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I don't mind cycling against the wind. Well, not much, :) but I hate the sidewind gusts that have me over the other side of the road and in front of a car or truck!
    Try going round a tight corner with a VERY strong gust of wind hitting ur disk wheel on the back... scarey as hell.... lmao
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I do a mini-time trial - i.e. a favourite 9 mile route (900ft ascent) that I do 2-3 times a week as hard as I can trying to beat my time)

Anyway, the first half (tailwind) was awesome and I thought I was going to smash my previous record, but once I started coming back home into the wind it was PAINFUL!

Felt like I was towing an anchor!!!
  • The wind can be quite demoralising and it sucks lately as there doesn't seem to have been a day without even strong breezes.
    I did my first century of the year today and it was painful at times, it's not really hilly around here but in the New Forest there are some very exposed stretches on the high ground. A few times I thought I could cut this short and still have completed a respectable long ride but once you set out to do something there's no turning back unless your are risking life and limb. One of the forum members has the comment, "pain is temporary but quitting is forever" mull this over when you're struggling.
    My time was pants but that became academic well before the first 25 were over. I'm knackered now but am happy and tomorow I'll have a rest day which means I can replace some of the lost calories with a glass or two of Belgiums finest.
  • martincashman
    martincashman Posts: 116
    Is this normal weather for this time of year?

I'm only cycling since August last year and right through to the end of September I only needed a short sleeve cycling Jersey, now in the last day I was out I needed to wear a dry base layer, merino longsleeve, normal cycling jersey and a Winter gilet to stop the wind from freezing me.

Even through the Winter I remember a few windy days but also getting an equal amount of calm days, but since April it seems to be wind every single day. Made the effort to get out in it all through April as I figured it would clear up in May and the long days of pain would pay off... then May came and the wind stayed, but I figured it would clear up in a week or two.

Now looking at the longterm forecast it looks like 20 to 40kph winds to continue well into June. Today was the first day since I started cycling that I didn't go out when I was meant to.

Is this an exceptionally bad spell or is 2 to 3 months of windy days to be expected from spring to summer.
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • IMHO Martin I don't recall the winds to have been quite so persistant this at this stage of the year, others may disagree and it was a wee bit parky riding to work this morning

Thanks for the long term weather report, I'd advise like many others to head off into the wind to start your ride and then let it help you home BUT as we all know weather maps with thier wind direction seeem to bear no resmblance to the real world.

There might just be one day later this year during our inevitable indian summer when, once you get home, you realise there was no wind.

Don't hold your breath for now though.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    In April a mate asked me what was the best road bike he could get for £600, he hadn't ridden a bike for years so i told him not to bother and gave him my winter bike to use for now.
    His intention was to 15 mile commute to work, to get fit and save money, i went out a couple of times with him and he managed 30miles in a couple of hours so the commute wouldn't be a problem.....
    Four weeks later and he's done it twice because of the bloody wind, hopefully it won't put him off for good.

Personally i've never known it this bad for this length of time and i'm sick of adjusting my routes to the direction of the wind, but you just have to get on with it and get out.
  • Peddle Up!
    I'm fecking fecked off with the fecking fecking wind. :evil:

But that's just me.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Head east