Berms

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2/3? Almost every corner at Llandegla is a berm!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Unless you mean two thirds of the corners are berms, in which case you'd probably be about right! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They just opened a new blue section at Glentress called Berm Baby Berm, which is a load of berms, followed by some berms, spiced up with an occasional berm then finishes up with a really ****-off big bastard of a berm. Come up here and have a few gos, by the end you'll either have figured out how to do berms, or you'll have totally lost interest in ever seeing another berm again.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    joshtp : yup, I'm in Cardiff. Cheers for the tip. Will see if I can get over there at some point.

Everyone else : Cheers muchly for advice offered and pertinent questions asked. It's probably a bunch of things, but entry speed and mid corner ohshit braking are almost certainly factors. Will be out again at the weekend (likely at Afan) so will try and put all of this to good use.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    clamps81 wrote:
    joshtp : yup, I'm in Cardiff. Cheers for the tip. Will see if I can get over there at some point.

Everyone else : Cheers muchly for advice offered and pertinent questions asked. It's probably a bunch of things, but entry speed and mid corner ohshit braking are almost certainly factors. Will be out again at the weekend (likely at Afan) so will try and put all of this to good use.

Yeah I think you have a choice of overfast entry + slow exit or correct entry and fast exit. Whilst the fast entry feels like you're biking fast and hard the slow exit means you're not in reality.

Next time you go out take your fingers right off the brakes and commit to not using them during cornering at all. If you're like most people (well me anyway) you'll find it quite hard and have to lay right off the entry speed and it will feel way too slow. But after a while you'll learn that you can up the speed with the added bonus that you're cornering properly. It forces you to look ahead and make the speed decision before the corner rather than at the point of nearly coming off.
  • It'll come with practice... I had a bit of a Zoolander relationship with berms... I could only turn left. I put it down to too much time hurtling round banking at the velodrome.
  • FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    Berms are ace, especially when you get the pump right, bit of two wheel drift in or out is also good too.

I like berms.

Pedals flat, none of this one foot down stuff, what's all that aboot?

Imagine you're riding flat ground, you bike sit perpendicular to it, now imagine that ground being slanted and still being perpendicular to it, that's how you want to be in a berm.

Some people consider it as leaning your bike over to achieve it, bollox. Both you and the bike are in the same position relative to the ground as of it were flat. You aren't reorientating the bike, you are reorientating yourself and the bike is following.

Tilt your head to the side, see how your body automatically shifts, that's what you want to do on a bike, in a berm. tilt your head and keeping on looking for the exit, not like owl head spin look, just slight twist to maintain a curve. Where ever you're looking, that's where the bike goes.

Nozzza had some good words too, "no braking in the bend", slow in=fast out. plus you have more grip when not on the brakes.
    I hope that's clear.