Berms

clamps81
clamps81 Posts: 315
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
A bit of background first off - I bought a bike about six weeks ago and since then I've been hitting everything I can in the local area and I'm pretty pleased with how I'm going. My fitness is improving from completely dreadful to merely embarrassing, I'm having loads of fun and I've only hit a few instances of things that I plain can't ride or that have caused me major trouble.

Berms are one these things. They look dead easy and the principle is simple enough, but I keep stuffing them up. First time round Cwmcarn I got spat out by them and ended up sliding down he bank next to and while I stayed on for attempts two and three it was not pretty. I was at Afan today on the wall and things got worse still. I got a new fork the other day and while it's marvellous in most departments I found that I was washing out the front round really sharp corners and in particular the berms - I managed to save myself in one case by sticking my leg out, but this is really bugging me now. Obviously, some of this is due to me getting used to a new fork barely after 'learning' the old one, but I think it's mostly due to me just doing berms wrong. I think I'm at least keeping my head pointed in the right place and keeping my weight on the correct pedal, so it must something else. Any ideas?
Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces

Comments

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOGCxwA ... 20B3683293

Noot sure why they call it "railing" berms... maybe because its supposed to sound ultimate gnar.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOGCxwApFw&playnext=1&list=PL0022A720B3683293

Noot sure why they call it "railing" berms... maybe because its supposed to sound ultimate gnar.

Good videos,not seen them before.
    He recomends to keep pedals level,i have aways tried to keep my outside pedal down with my weight through the pedal if that makes sense.
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    That would be correct on a flat corner where you'd be riding on the edge of your tyre tread. The angle of the ground on a berm allows you to ride at 90 degrees to the ground so you're using the centre of your tyre, therefore want your weight distributed evenly.

That's the way I get my head around it anyway, hope it helps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Regarding pedals, it depends how tall the berm edge is, and how steeply banked, and how tight it turns though.
    A lot of them aren't tall enough to let you get the pedals horizontal and lean the bike enough.
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    i have real trouble with berms so i understand what you mean, its bloody frustrating!! i dont have the confidence to ride them properly yet. i find it useful though to practise flat tight corners that have small berms, luckly theres a place near me where they have some. experiment with how much to lean the bike and brake before the turn is what ive been told anyway.

also theres the figure of eight thing you can practise round a couple of obstacles, ive not practised this much but am going to now..... dont have much patience with it though lol. its hard work but keep trying :wink:
  • clamps81
    Yeah, it's probably worth seeing if I can find some within riding distance to practice one. I think half the problem is that I only come across them rarely and when I do I'm usually going fairly quickly.
    Cheers for the tips folks.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

• mtb crazy
    theres no harm in going slow to start with then build up abit of speed as you get more used to it and confident. i ride quite slow round berms as they are still scary to me :?
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Make sure you get high on the berm early otherwise it will spit you out over it. I used to have some trouble with berms but now I can do pretty muhc any.
    Gee Athertons tip for riding DH but applies for all types of riding is to learn to ride smoothly first before trying to get the speed.
  • mtb crazy
    yeah thats what im trying to do sharky, its just frustrating that i cant do it yet. so you mean your line should be more outside edge of berm rather than in middle? also how should the foot positioning be?

yeah i am practising turning smoothly and doing the figure eight thing, will that help? maybe it is all just practice.
  • clamps81
    By the sound of things, I think slowing down a bit for the berms is probably the wisest course. I at least know where they are at Cwmcarn and Afan now so can prepare a little better.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

• mtb crazy
    yeah slowly to start with then slowly build up. also do your braking before you start the turn, then youre less likely to skid and crash
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, go slow to go fast is generally good advice. Though with berms you do need a little pace, otherwise you just end up turning them into a flat corner. See if you can find one you're reasonably comfortable with and work on it a bit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mtb crazy
    im kinda scared of leaning the bike so gonna practise more with that and how far to lean it.
  • Anonymous
    mtb crazy wrote:
    im kinda scared of leaning the bike so gonna practise more with that and how far to lean it.
    Bear in mind that you have to be going fast to really lean it over though.
  • mtb crazy
    ill practise on flat berms first and get better at those then try the harder stuff. going out today for a practise :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    you mention Cwm And Afan... are you based in S. Wales? If so, pop along to Clyne (on the edge of Swansea) some time... It's my local trails, and there are loads of different types of turns, and hundreds of berms... I regularly go up just to practice my cornering technique... it's the perfect spot to nail berms...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    If you want, we may be able to meet up so I could show you around...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Q: What's a flat berm?
    A: A corner.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    This book is great: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Mount ... 0736056246

It has tons of info on cornering including berms.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Are you touching the brakes at all? There's no quicker way to mess up a berm (or any corner for that matter) :?

If you need to lose speed, do it before the corner than on it :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mtb crazy
    yeah but they are ones with the high sides right?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    mtb crazy wrote:
    yeah but they are ones with the high sides right?

Berms are yes :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mtb crazy
    thanks miss notax, i swear that yeehaa likes to make others look stupid most of the time.
  • Anonymous
    mtb crazy wrote:
    thanks miss notax, i swear that yeehaa likes to make others look stupid most of the time.
    No, not really.

I just have no idea what the hell you're on about when you say...
    mtb crazy wrote:
    ill practise on flat berms first and get better at those then try the harder stuff. going out today for a practise :)
    What exactly is a flat berm?
  • mtb crazy
    i mean instead of a berm thats on a steep downward corner.
  • Anonymous
    Ah. I see.
    Well, there's really no difference in technique between one that goes downhill, and one on the flat.
    In fact, on the flat you'll often not be carrying enough speed to make the best use of the berm. Speed is your friend.
  • mtb crazy
    maybe ive just not got the confidence yet then. should get there.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited May 2011
    Off camber corners at speed are good fun :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • mtb crazy
    yeah i will get to the pont where im not scared to ride them, i go out alot so shouldnt be too long :)
  • daviebroon
    daviebroon Posts: 15
    Doing the berms at llandegla... there is only 2/3 little tiny ones... but easy enough at speed.

However... I had to laugh massively when I seen my gf attack them at 1mph, stop mid turn, and then fall. Had no idea what to do.