hakko Posts: 34
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I accept I broke the law. But I asked the police, what about these guys::

Boris jumping reds?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sunday-mirror/2 ... -20414272/

And Cameron too?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7308400.stm

Does anyone know if they got any fines?

If not I'll report it on a police online crime report form.

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    boo and hoo

:wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Result.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ha. What's that saying - if you're gonna walk the talk you gotta take the walk. Talk the talk and walk to work. Walk to talk and wake the Turk. Umm walky walky walky-talkie, Is that it?

Anyhow. Tough shoot. If you don't wanna be caught, don't break the rules. Not whilst there's anybody watching at least.
  • hakko
    I don't mind paying the fines. The rule should apply equally to everyone.

The copper even said to do it when the police aren't around. I thought they looked like paramedics...

Previoulsy a bike officer let me off, but then he jumps the lights! To which a bus driver pops his head out and says, "they say one thing and do another!"
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2011
    You've come to the right place for sympathy, my boy.

Just sit over there, in the uncomfy chair, and someone will be along to see you soon. Really soon. I promise.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Glad you got done 8)
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    serves you right , the biggest complaint about us lot is RLJing . No pity here!
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    dont want a fine?
    dont break the law.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greg66 wrote:
    You've come to the right place for sympathy, by boy.

Just sit over there, in the uncomfy chair, and someone will be along to see you soon. Really soon. I promise.

Now now, sometimes it's safer to jump a red :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hakko
    Yes sometimes it is safer to jump a red. Roads are designed with cars in mind and only recently are they considering cyclists, especially in London.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Serious question.

Will the fine stop you RLJing at least for a short while so you can see what difference of really makes? Or are you going to carry on regardless?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • hakko
    Honestly, if I heard that Boris and Cameron got fined, I would stop. 100%

Otherwise, I must give the rule the same regard as our beloved Tory leaders. :twisted:
  • dhope
    hakko wrote:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Followed a bunch of RLJ'ing twonks home last night.

Admittedly one was a cute lass and so they probably just wanted to stay in a view, however one taxi driver got rather peeved off with them.

Lots of beeping his horn and some mean glares at them while he and I were waiting at the light, and the 3 others jumped it.

No doubt he will tarnish all cyclists with the same brush now, and I can see why :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Congrats to the copper......MTFU and stop whining - he who lives by the sword will die by the sword!

If the Police had seen B or C then maybe they could have taken action, they didn't and doing someone retrospectively on legally uncertain evidence (as to the full facts, like for example date and time) is very difficult for cars with a reg number, for cyclists its actually impossible (that's the law - sorry), but thanks for making my day!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2011
    Serious question

How far up the road do you look?

I mean honestly, there we are as cyclist making ourselves visible and complaining about motorist who don't see us (SMIDSY) and there you are managaing not to see police officers waiting suspiciously at the lights. Were these Ninja Police?

My issue isn't that you go a fine. It's not even that you RLJ'd. It's that you managed to miss the highly visible and distinct shapes associated with police, be it bicycle, motorcycle or the officers - all of which are doused in hi-visibility clobber.

If you can't see that, something designed to be as visible as possible, then how can you be sure the crossing is clear as you go through.

For not seeing the police you deserve a fine let alone for the actual offence.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • hakko
    nich wrote:
    Followed a bunch of RLJ'ing twonks home last night.

Admittedly one was a cute lass and so they probably just wanted to stay in a view, however one taxi driver got rather peeved off with them.

Lots of beeping his horn and some mean glares at them while he and I were waiting at the light, and the 3 others jumped it.

No doubt he will tarnish all cyclists with the same brush now, and I can see why :?

As a driver I find other drivers more annoying. Taxi drivers will pull out without warning, u turn etc. etc. What annoys me most about cyclists, are those that don't have lights or visibility jackets at night!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    hakko wrote:
    :lol: This is utter BS. Break the law all you want, but don't whine about it and point fingers if you get caught.
    nich wrote:

Oh god, here it comes. :roll:
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    hakko wrote:
    and if i heard that oj simpson was put in prison i would stop killing people. 100%
  • hakko
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Serious question

I mean honestly, there we are as cyclist making ourselves visible and complaining about motorist who don't see us (SMIDSY) and there you are managaing not to see police officers waiting suspiciously at the lights. Were these Nija police?.

I thought they were paramedics! It was a cross junction they were on the otherside behind a a car. There was no traffic going across and no pedestrians so guess what? RLJ time!
  • hakko
    diplomacy wrote:
    hakko wrote:
    and if i heard that oj simpson was put in prison i would stop killing people. 100%

Your analogy is incorrect.
  • dhope
    Beginning to wonder if it's a LFGSS plant. Lets go over there and complain about hipsters on fixies!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    hakko wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Serious question

I mean honestly, there we are as cyclist making ourselves visible and complaining about motorist who don't see us (SMIDSY) and there you are managaing not to see police officers waiting suspiciously at the lights. Were these Nija police?.

I thought they were paramedics! It was a cross junction they were on the otherside behind a a car. There was no traffic going across and no pedestrians so guess what? RLJ time!

Jesus wept.

OK, paramedics. You don't know wtf is going on. Cover the brakes be prepared to stop, just to be safe. If you had anticipated a need to stop - you were approaching lights so this need should have been present regardless of the paramedics/police - you would have been able to stop when you realised they were police.

RLJing a junction is dumb. A clear pedestrian crossing, debatable. Junction dumb as dumb gets. IMO.

Where did this happen? Do you ride a hybrid or fixie/hipster/skinny jeans/skater helmet?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    hakko wrote:
    I accept I broke the law. But I asked the police, what about these guys::

Boris jumping reds?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sunday-mirror/2 ... -20414272/

And Cameron too?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7308400.stm

Does anyone know if they got any fines?

If not I'll report it on a police online crime report form.

Did you go all the way through the intersection or just advance past the last line and stop before where a yellow box junction would normally be situated?

I believe technically I am in the wrong but for my own safety I do get myself about 10 metres further forward than the asl box when heading north off Tower Bridge at the 1st lights. It has too many cars turning left there to be safe heading off from a level start with them.

This is the only intersection on my commute I would have any sympathy for maybe moving a few metres extra before stopping. Key word though is STOPPING for the light to change still.
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    hakko wrote:
    quote]

Please avoid jumping red lights in front of me, I hate to think how much of a dent you may make in my car, and how upset I'll be about that. Not to mention how upset your family will be while I sue your estate for repairs.

Just a suggestion. They go red for a reason

ATB

Simon
  • DonDaddyD
    Did you go all the way through the intersection or just advance past the last line and stop before where a yellow box junction would normally be situated?

OP, if you did this then I take back everything I wrote.

I do this as like the person who wrote it like to have a bit of distance between me and the car behind - especially when the road is narrow - to allow me to set off comfortably.
    Food Chain number = 4

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still a criminal offence though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dm38
    dm38 Posts: 47
    Hmmm am I right in assuming this is not the first time you've jumped a red, just the first time you've got caught? Kind of reminds me of school days where a kid gets into trouble for talking in class and decides to whine about how another classmate is also talking?

At the end of the day we are all road users and I'm sure we wouldn't agree that it was justified if a driver tried to claim he was only going through red because some high profile politician was spotted red light jumping 3 years ago.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    hakko wrote:
    diplomacy wrote:
    hakko wrote:

Your analogy is incorrect.

You mean, before one person can do the right thing, everyone else must do the right thing first?

Nice moral backbone you've got their sonny.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}