Summer Training Program

TomParker1
TomParker1 Posts: 35
Hey guys,

I've been getting really into road cycling recently since having a chance bike ride with some neighbours. I'm all set with my gear and i've been commuting to and from campus each day a few times a day as well as going for rides around Birmingham where I can.

This summer, i want to use the bike as a tool to get into really good shape. I've got from July 1st until October until i go back to university to myself so i've got all the time in the world to fit in a good training program.

I'm 6'4, 101kgs and about 23% body fat mass. I'm looking to get dwn to about 15% and improve my CV - which i believe is a really achievable goal as long as i get the right program. I used to play rugby to a good level but an accumulation of head injuries forced me to give it up and in the last couple of years i've really piled on the pounds (though i've always been a 'big' guy) - I'm hoping this is where you come in!

I'm a total noob when it comes to these things. Can you give me a hand in creating a training program to suit my needs?

I'm also not naive about the importance of diet - in the last month since i've been on the bike i've introduced a much more balanced diet and i'm started to see and feel the improvements as it is; i just know it could be better with a well informed program.

Thanks in advance guys,

Tom

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    You don't need a "training program" (sic) - you're not training for anything in particular. Just ride your bike (or do other exercise) as often as you can. If having a schedule motivates you, then make one up.
  • TomParker1
    Hey,

Sorry for the misuse of cycling grammar - as i said i'm still new to this! So is as often as possible the best way or should i limit myself to x amount of times a week?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Pick a goal - /fun ride / sportive for the end of the summer and plan accordingly, building up miles slowly & progressively and mixing rides - short & hard, longer and more gentle. As much as possible with the proviso that its sustainable all summer. 7 days a week might not be - 3 -5 times a week should be.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    You should ride as often as possible without knackering yourself out. Don't push yourself hard if you feel like sh*t, remember recovery is equally important as training.

Alternatively get a job as a cycle courier, Cycle4U and Call Print are based in Brum so see if they have any jobs, you'll be fit in no time
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • TomParker1
    That would be grand if i was in Birmingham over the summer! I should have specified. I study at the University of Birmingham but i'll be in sunny rural North Gloucestershire for the summer. loads of nice twisty country lane and a good set of hills to tackle.

Thanks for the tips guys, i really appreciate it.

I think i'll make my goal cycling to Birmingham to go back to University. Its about 54 miles from my house I believe which is the longest i'll have undertaken. Heres hoping!
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Consistency is pretty important at an early stage. Perhaps work out 4 or 5 30mile loops from your house and try and do them each week. Maybe aim to attack some and just spin around others. A bit of variety will help no end when it comes to motivation.

Also, you should definitely hook up with Birmingham Uni CC. You might not be good enough to ride with them yet, but it would be a good thing to target next year. They're a really friendly bunch. Xav would be worth getting in touch with and might be able to offer some advice too.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk