Any ex fatties?

ChrisLS
ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
...like me.

I used to be sixteen and half stone with a forty two inch waist at one time. I am now thirteen stone with thirty four inch waist...tell us your vitals, or maybe you are riding to loose it, which in that case, keep going as in my experience, as long as you go carefully with what you eat, you will decrease in weight...
...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ChrisLS wrote:
    .. as long as you go carefully with what you eat, you will decrease in weight...
    That's where I fall down :lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    still a fatty

17.5 stone (i think) my weight hasn't changed but my waist has, strangely

ive cut down quite a lot of what i use to eat but i still eat loads of rubbish, need to make a effort really
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I find it virtually impossible to lose weight without being really miserable. I'm not fat but I am CHUNKY.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I was on the wrong side of 20 stone, 46inch waist and a fatty liver basically liver cells regenerating as fat cells rather than healthy liver cells.

Now I’m 17.5 stone with a 40inch waist. So still a fatty but the good news is my liver function tests are now normal again, which means the internal fat around my organs (the stuff that kills you) has decreased.

For those that are interested my ALT level was over 140 at one point now it's back in the normal range 20-40.

So on my way to being an ex-fatty, but already seeing the benefits.

Oh and I've just brought some lycra bib shorts and I'm ditching the baggies. There is no way I would have worn lycra at 20 stone. Probably shouldn't now but I don't really care, if you don't like the view stop drafting.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Never owned a pair of scales TBH.

I merely exist, I have no right to judge. 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    Yeah, ex fatty here as well. When I was 20, I was about 130-140 kg. I dared not step on the scales. Then one day, I got really annoyed with being fat and I got it down to 90 kgs six months later. I'd love to be a bit lighter still to help me with the hills, but I'm almost 2 m tall, so 90 kg is all right.

The only trouble with being ex-fatty is that I dread putting on weight and it sometimes I get annoyed when I eat too much.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Over 20stone 18months ago my heaviest ever so was a bit of a shock when I stood on the scales although at 6ft3" I could hide it a bit . Started commuting 12miles each way a couple of days a week starting in January 2010 took me about 1hr.15 to start, now doing 4-5 days so anywhere between 100 - 120miles currently down to 17st and time about 45mins.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • mudcow007
    all you skinny people out there....yeah you! what do you eat during the day an when you get home from work?

i find it hard to find just normal food, everything is either diet food or normal (stuffed full of saturated fats)

like what Sketchley said, if i cut my calories down i tend to get really miserable an lack any sort of energy, that makes me look for some sort of sugar rush, suppose one idea is to take some Meth, when was the last time you seen a fat addict?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I hit 19 once.

I'm 13 now.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • clarkey cat
    mudcow007 - I think it has more to do with the sheer quantity of food. Skinny people just eat less. People say, 'oh I eat like a horse' but then I witness their pathetic nibblings and I think, some horse.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited May 2011
    There's always gaz the famous ex-39 stone cyclist. He's on here now and again. Quite an astonishing story.

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 - I think it has more to do with the sheer quantity of food. Skinny people just eat less. People say, 'oh I eat like a horse' but then I witness their pathetic nibblings and I think, some horse.

Shetland pony perhaps?
  • clarkey cat
    my little pony more like
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    All this talk of food is making me hungry.

Time for lunch....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ha!

Eat when you're hungry. Enough to stop you being hungry.

As long as the food isn't crisps and MaccyD's then you're fine. The healthy body is pretty good at self regulating.

With me it's beer - if I don't like what I see standing sideways at the bedroom mirror then I cut back on the hooch a bit and up the miles.

I have a private belief that it's mealtimes that make you heavy - if you sit down three times a day and eat a set portion then that portion is unlikely to be comensurate with your energy expenditure.

Fuel in matching fuel burnt keeps you level, burn more than you eat then weight goes down and vis versa. Diets are for fools. Eat nice food but match it to what you burn.

Sorry if I'm upsetting heavy people here - I'm not a vegan beanpole by the way.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mudcow007 wrote:
    all you skinny people out there....yeah you! what do you eat during the day an when you get home from work?

8 and half stone here.

I eat a lovely big dinner. Probably as big as you'd eat.

Difference is, if all I've done is sit at work all day, beforehand I will eat a big bowl of cereal in the morning, and a proper sandwich at lunch.

That's it.

When I cycled every day, I could eat whatever I wanted when I wanted - but I've never been one to graze. I just don't like it, and I always made sure I was hungry for dinner because I luurve dinner, and it's a waste otherwise.

It sounds like this is all very controlled and disciplined, but it's just qutie natural. It barely crosses my mind how much I eat.

Having said that, if i did start to put weight on I'd start eating a little less or cycling more.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245

Not sure if I qualify as skinny - 6' 1" and 72kgs - you be the judge - was about 78kgs last November before winter training.

When I get home from work (about 6.30) I usually eat 2 or 3 slices of wholemeal bread with butter and marmite and maybe a piece of fruit - usually 'cos I'm hungry and dinner isn't until 7.30. Dinner can be anything from sandwiches and salad, pastas, fish pie - my wife is a very versatile cook.

I eat a cereal and toast (more wholemeal and marmite!) breakfast 3 to 4 days a week and supplement this with eggs (poached, boiled or fried in olive oil) on the other days. I eat a school lunch monday thru wednesday - so this can be pot luck - pasta, chili con carne, sausages - usually supplemented with more salad and bread.

My downfall - crisps, crackers (more marmite!) and digestive biscuits (occasionally with marmite!).
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Forgot to mention my eating pattern fuels about 150 to 200 miles of riding per week.
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Well done all you guys, especially Sketchley with his now normal liver :-). When I was at uni I put on over a stone and had an awful lifestyle and was verging on having an alcohol problem (even drank at breakfast). Then I joined the gym and started mountain biking and cycling to uni, very quickly lost the weight but my diet as a student was still atrocious but I did severly reduce the alcohol intake. Now I have the opposite problem and thats msotly due to work, I work irregular shifts in an environment where food is not easy to get hold of especially on nights (mix of 12 hour earlies, lates and nights) when I first started I would not eat for the whole shift then just crash out from tiredness when i got home, I probably ate one meal a day and that was breakfast (bowel of porridge) and then either a processed sandwhich or a ceral bar and lots and lots of coffee, I dropped down to just under 7 stone and was told by a Doctor that I really needed to increase my calcium intake as my bones looked alittle thin (x-ray after being hit by a car) which was abit alarming. Now I am abit better and take either a thermosk flask of soup to work or a chicken, pasta and vegetable salad aswell as a muller rice and fruit. I also force myself to get up early to have a breakfast and on earlies to eat an evening meal after shift. I am now hovering around the 8 stone mark which is much healthier for my height.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • yarp knocking around 18.5 stone and 6ft 2 here... currently in the gym and cycling on alternate days as I've got just over a year to lose the weight in time for our wedding..

Doesn't help when people go all soft with the 'you're not fat though, you're just a chunky lad' - no... I am fat, I am in the obese category according to BMI charts. Don't get me wrong, In my opinion if I was in my target range for BMI @ 6ft 2" I would be lanky as hell - all I'm aiming for is to be around 14 stone, so still technically overweight but atleast I wouldn't constantly limbo between XL and XXL clothing.. L or XL would be perfect for me.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited May 2011
    5'10, about 73kg

Wake up, banana & protein shake (7ish)
    Cycle in. If gym before work then protein shake following gym at 9.
    Porridge ~9.30. You know the little sachets you get? Equiv of maybe 3-4 of them, with a handful of raisins. Few cups of tea or coffee through the morning
    Lunch will be either a few sandwiches or an M&S ready meal (one of the nice ones, paella or similar), chocolate bar, bottle of coke, possibly a cumberland sausage from the butchers if I'm peckish.
    Mid afternoon a cereal/yoghurt pot thing, handful of cashews, handful of raisins.
    Cycle home.
    Dinner a couple of chicken breasts, carrots, broccoli, half a stick of garlic bread.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    mudcow007 wrote:

8 and half stone here

8.5?!
    Without wanting to sound too rude, but you must be about 5' tall? Apparently I'm skinny at 12 stone
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    bowel of porridge
    ?

Doesn't sound particularly appetising... :wink:

I'm just under 8 and a half stone and have already lost a few pounds in the last month due to cyling 100+ miles a week.

At 5' 7" I'm now desperately trying to up my food intake before I am mistaken for Skeletor... :shock:
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    dhope wrote:
    5'10, about 73kg

Porridge ~9.30. You know the little sachets you get? Equiv of maybe 3-4 of them, with a handful of raisins. Few cups of tea or coffee through the morning
    Lunch will be either a few sandwiches or an M&S ready meal (one of the nice ones, paella or similar), chocolate bar, bottle of coke, possibly a cumberland sausage from the butchers if I'm peckish.
    Mid afternoon a cereal/yoghurt pot thing, handful of cashews, handful of raisins.
    Cycle home.
    Dinner a couple of chicken breasts, carrots, broccoli, half a stick of garlic bread.

Wow. You're consuming the planet's resources at an alarming rate! :wink:
  • dhope
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    5'10, about 73kg

Cycle home.

:D My boss has commented on the amount I put away.
    Helps that I'm 29 so my metabolism can probably still keep up. Will check back here in a few years and I'll eat half as much and weigh a few stone more.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`d love to be an ex fattie but it seems the more I do to burn it off the more I need to eat. My weaknesses are choccy bars and fizzy pop so I know what I need to do but just struggle to do it. I`m just under 14 stone but it looks much worse due to being 5`8`` and barrel chested. I`ve got an active job as well so I should be much less than I am, guess I`m just a greedy pig that hates feeling hungry
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    5'10, about 73kg

Cycle home.

6ft and 65kg
    Large bowl of porridge with honey and raisins after the commute
    graze on lots of fruits and nuts all day
    Pitas/sandwiches for lunch- homemade with chicken and salad or something like that
    lots of water and tea
    a banana or 2 before the commute home
    dinner in the evening of fish, potato & steamed veg a fav, but could be curry, stir-fry, pie, baked pots, whatever really, eat very little take away or pizza or chips, I just eat large portions of whatever my meal is in the evening.

that fuels the week day cycling around 80 miles, then weekend which is up to 100m is very similar...just with more bananas and tracker bars on the rides :)
    the odd bagel with peanut butter if i'm running or swimming as well that day

oh plus office cakes..very susceptible to them...and everyone else share!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dhope wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

8 and half stone here

8.5?!
    Without wanting to sound too rude, but you must be about 5' tall? Apparently I'm skinny at 12 stone

1m71 (5ft6)

55kg
  • Sanderville
    Sanderville Posts: 52
    edited May 2011
    I was 105Kg of fat when I started cycling four years ago. I went down to 95Kg and stayed there, but converting fat to muscle. Lately I've added 3Kg of muscle through low-zone training on the turbo. People do regularly comment on how much weight I appear to have lost. I'm 6'2".

The big change came when I decided to cut out chocolate, which I did by buying loads of sweet Pink Lady apples and keeping them in the fridge. Any time I crave chocolate I just start eating apples until I'm not hungry. It's like eating a crunchy cold drink and it works a treat.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • I was the same, 16½ to 17 stone, when faced with moving up to 38”trousers, enough was enough.
    I’m now 14st 2 and a loose 34” waist.

Eating wise I’m not that fussy, but laying off the beer in a bid to reduce my high blood pressure made a massive difference to my weight.