Dragon Ride 2011

Comments

• _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    First time on the dragon ride but done quite a few sportives to compare to. We got to the M4 roudabout at about 0740 and it was chaos, traffic totally jammed up, but the signage pointed off left so we followed that down to the overflow (bocam) area and parked there. Due to family committments, staying in the area was not an option so we drove up from Somerset, a couple of hours away but still left at 0545.

We got ready and arrived at the start line at 0800 to be met by the sight of hundreds and hundreds or riders queueing. Went to the back of the queue and didnt get away until 0925 so 85 minutes stood around, by which time I was quite cold. There were no marshalls on the queue line meaning lots of people were pushing in, but there were 4 marshalls stood on the line at the front drinking coffee?? Had to use the field on the side of the field for a quick comfort break as did others we were waiting so long, the queue for the toilets was crazy. I had already stopped in the services on the way up but needed to go again!!.

The course itself was nice, lovely scenery, enjoyed getting to the top of blwch as well :) I stopped at both the two feedstations (i did the medio) which were chaos, i grabbed water and left, didnt bother with anything else, too chaotic. Rest of the ride was fine. At the end, it was chaos again, riders and bikes alll over the place in the way as you come through the finish line, I almost hit a couple. I didnt even bother looking around, just wheeled my bike up the carpet path and went back to my car.

Checked the results this morning, my time registered ok so the chip worked but they have mixed my details up with another rider, apparently I now belong to a welsh cycling club!!..

Overall I enjoyed the event, but dont think I will be doing it again, the traffic chaos and start were too much hassle.
  • BigGar35
    BigGar35 Posts: 30
    Well I'm showing a time for the first split but nothing after that!! Frustrating.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    does anyone know what the likely gold, silver and bronze cut off times will be?
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • They are on the Entry / Results page:

http://www.wiggledragonride.com/uploads ... 0times.doc
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    The award times are linked to on their entry/results page here http://www.wiggledragonride.com/entry_list.php and I doubt they'll change them.
  • slogfester
    slogfester Posts: 39
    Ummm... I see too that my timing chip failed to work :(
    Half the problem was it was impossible to get the chip/numberplate thingie flat against the bars with the ties given out (I had to pick mine up on the day). They were just too short, meaning that you had to bend the chip/numberplate in order to tie it on. Another couple of cm would have fixed it easily.
    Penny pinching backfiring?
  • Gooner69
    Gooner69 Posts: 97
    Seems a bit strange that simply "curling" the flexy bendy chip around the bars is enough to make it unreadable. Surely it couldnt have been damaged by that process?
  • Mingsta
    Mingsta Posts: 24
    Just checked my results - doesnt look like my chip worked either. That was one of my better performances but I may not get to see where I came in the overall rankings.

I have much love for the Dragon (have done it every year since 2005) but I think next year might be the time to vote with my feet until they sort things out.

By the way, that "just turn up earlier" argument just doesn't wash - from previous listings about 2/3rds of entrants do the long route - so even if everyone turned up at sunrise, there will be a 6000 deep queue and someone will still be at the back when the start gate opens. If they're going to do things in such a way that the last groups depart after 10am, then the feedstops and cutoff points need to accommodate that.

I didn't depart till 10. Luckily I was with a decent group for the first 30 and from the polar stats, got to the cutoff point at roughly 1pm - didn't realise how close I was to being shut out.
  • EdFrancis
    EdFrancis Posts: 11
    No time for me either. I managed to miss the timing mat on the first climb of the Bwlch, and was p*ssed off about it at the time, but obviously wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

I'm interested to know how many people came a cropper on the fast sweeping right hander as you hit the coast for the first time after about 10 miles. I was in a really fast group of about 4 going into it and as we went round the corner there was a bike in the road, as some poor chap had come off and broken a rib or two. Had to brake hard, and unfortunately I skidded on some gravel, mounted the pavement and went into the seawall. Remarkably, I didn't come off, but got some pretty nasty road - or seawall - rash on my amrs and legs. Not sure whether there was any damage to the bike other than a puncture and rips to the bar tape, but I managed to get round the 200k course ok. Didn't notice the pain in my arms and legs from the road rash until this morning.

Shortly afterwards, an ambulance arrived and parked on the road just after the bend, which meant that loads of cyclists had to brake hard on the bend to avoid going into it. There were some pretty close calls.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    my chip didn't work either - that really doesn't reflect well on the organisers. i'm sure wiggle will think twice about sponsoring it next year with all the negative feedback.

that said there were plenty of positives too - the feed stations were manned by really friendly folk and well stocked when i got to them. plenty of marshalls out on the course directing at junctions and reassuring to see plenty of paramedics/ambulances out on the course, ready if needed.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I enjoyed the actual ride. But the queue at the start was a complete joke. Over an hour standing around getting cold. My timing chip didn't work and as far as I can see the only reason for queueing was to go over the timing mat anyway!

Crap feed stations, a 'goody' bag full of tat. Crisps and a T bag WTF?

Britains Premier Sportive, Gold UCI status - my a%se!
  • 9jan11
    9jan11 Posts: 67
    as far as I can see the only reason for queueing was to go over the timing mat anyway!

That is so true. Could have just ridden the route from the car park with the first group out.
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    slogfester wrote:
    As per my earlier post, the Medio turned out to 110km/1200m, 10 km and 500 m (of ascent) less than quoted. Thats a large error. Will the UCI tolerate that?.

Had the same thing when looking at my garmin, however just uploaded the ride on Strava and there it says 1,676 meters of ascent (though still 6km short), am really confused and annoyed, either my Garmin tells me crap (i used the adjustment on garmin connect) or the organisers cut it short 400 meters, but can't even tell. Anyone any insights?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Well I had quite a good day yesterday. Rode with a couple of good groups, did a lot of miles with some dudes from 'Derby Mercury' club? ( I was the guy with the black Storck bike) and enjoyed most of the route.

Came close to 60mph decending down one part of the Bwlch which was fun and thought the apple pies at the feed stations were delicious.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I see the "winner" did an average of over 30 mph then?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    Fastest time that I know of was Ben Simmons, 5hrs 54min.
    He set the fastest time last year as well (5hrs 40min?).

Not sure if anyone else actually went faster this year.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • bendertherobot
    mattpage wrote:

According to racescence the winner did 3hr 59 on the long route.

It's broken basically.
  • Tim Sluman
    Tim Sluman Posts: 34
    Brakeless wrote:
    But the queue at the start was a complete joke.

Bit disappointing to pay £35, turn up at the allocated time, in fact we planned to start at the end of the allocated start time (9.30...to miss the crowds), and still be met with an hour + long queue to the start mat, we didn't bother, just bypassed the start and recorded our own times on our Garmins.

To all the very important people who pushed into the queue.. you should be ashamed of yourselves.

But overall the event was superbly marshalled with loads of first aiders round the course as well. Feed stations are always chaotic as these mass participation events, so took our own feed, have learnt to never rely on the organised ones, but they are there if you are desperate.

Enjoyed the course, nice to have a good ride before the hills started

Overall thoroughly enjoyed the day but won't pay £35 to go again... purely because of the start and no official time !.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    mattpage wrote:

did Mr Simmons have to queue for two hours like all the rest..? ;)
  • Mingsta
    Mingsta Posts: 24
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Well I had quite a good day yesterday. Rode with a couple of good groups, did a lot of miles with some dudes from 'Derby Mercury' club? ( I was the guy with the black Storck bike) and enjoyed most of the route.

Came close to 60mph decending down one part of the Bwlch which was fun and thought the apple pies at the feed stations were delicious.

Did you have a yellow top/waterproof on? I might have met you at the last feed stop. Rode a short distance with someone with a lovely 0.7 with lots of lightweight trimmings and commented on it. I was the chinese guy on a touring bike.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Mingsta wrote:
    Zoomer37 wrote:

Did you have a yellow top/waterproof on? I might have met you at the last feed stop. Rode a short distance with someone with a lovely 0.7 with lots of lightweight trimmings and commented on it. I was the chinese guy on a touring bike.

Naa, I was on a Scenero with matching go faster Storck team jersey :lol:
  • bendertherobot
    update on timings, they've reversed the gran and medio by the look of it. Doh!
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    Well, if you consider the number of people registered for the Gran Fondo but only actually did the Medio Fondo, courtesy of them closing the route split, maybe that explains the times? Because, if I had been lucky enough to register a time, that would be how I'd show up...
  • Those timing chips were utter pants.

13 pages of individual results for the gran fondo but only 9 pages with times. :roll:
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439

It's broken basically.

That'll be somebody entering the 200 and riding the 120.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    We were in the queue at about 7.30 and still didnt get away until nearly 8.30. What didnt help was muppets like 'twotyred' (see earlier post) and many like him who decided to dispense with the queueing system and jump in at the start. He does go on to say though that they should sort out the start.... brilliant.

Not sure about the new route, my chip didnt work either. My third time doing it but keep coming away feeling it should be better, particularly for £35. Maybe its time to go elsewhere.

Could 'twotyred' and his mates let me know which events you're doing so I can avoid those.
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Pseudonym wrote:
    mattpage wrote:

I met him at Newport Velodrome and the answer to your question (for 2010) would be no. Last year he arrived at the start and realised he'd forgotten his shoes, had to drive back and get them, started last. :D
  • bendertherobot
    caw35slr wrote:

It's broken basically.

That'll be somebody entering the 200 and riding the 120.

Indeed, but in the absence of a split you'd think the system would assume a 120k time.

But it is broken, I'm missing, my mate is missing and hundreds of other riders are missing.
  • bendertherobot
    mattpage wrote:

Seems not, by a process of removing the splits etc........

https://www.raceplus.co.uk/raceplus-ind ... _id=DRAG11
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    caw35slr wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:
    mattpage wrote:

I met him at Newport Velodrome and the answer to your question (for 2010) would be no. Last year he arrived at the start and realised he'd forgotten his shoes, had to drive back and get them, started last. :D

So he did a 190km individual time trial with slower cyclists as obstacles and still got the fastest time?! Not bad...

Unlike the lack of chip timing for this year's event. After last year's comedy energy drink c*ck up (ordering individual sachets of powder, rather than big tubs!), this is pretty poor. Doesn't reflect well on the organisation...