Obvious Things New Cyclists Might Not Know

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or the static deleted a part of the Internet...
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    the whole melting carbon thing is a joke surely?!?! please tell me it's a joke.... If not then Road bikes just went (yet) another notch up the pathetic scale in my book.

It must surely be a joke... carbon MTB's dont melt...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Carbon mtbs don't melt because they have a special coating to protect them from mud and dust, however they only have a shelf life of 4 years. All those buying them now will be gutted when they start degrading.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Carbon mtbs don't melt because they have a special coating to protect them from mud and dust, however they only have a shelf life of 4 years. All those buying them now will be gutted when they start degrading.

That's why previous seasons bikes are cheaper if they are carbon. For aluminium bikes it doesn't matter. They have an unlimited shelflife. It is well known that cervelo and cannondale, just melted down their unsold 2010 bikes, and used that to make their 2011 bikes.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    a gift from God!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I had a specialized tarmac with a full carbon frame for my birthday last year. I really liked it and one day went on a bike ride with some mates, they were all riding aluminium bikes even though they all owned full carbon bikes too. I asked why? to which they all replied, you shouldn't be out with your carbon bike on a day like this, it was 28 degrees and the sun was shining down hard.

Anyways we stopped for lunch at a cafe and all left our bikes outside. When we went back out the was all this squishy black stuff where my bike used to be and the groupset was all stuck inside it, I couldn't even salvage the parts because it was all just too messy. My mates couldn't stop laughing :(

I'll be more careful in future
  • pda_87
    pda_87 Posts: 1
    When selecting a gear, make sure you're not in, say, first gear on the rear derailleur, AND the large chainring at the front, as the extra friction generated may cause your carbon frame to melt.
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    jumbojimbo wrote:
    After a while, especially if you're heavy handed on the brakes and change gears under load, you'll find that the cables will stretch. You can re-adjust the tension but eventually you'll need to replace the cables.

A good money saving tip is to forget the over-priced Shimano/Campagnolo cables and instead purchase a set of Ernie Ball guitar strings- you'll find that, not only are they cheaper and stronger than the cables they are replacing, but when you brake and change up/down gears in the right order you'll be able to play the riffs of popular classics such as "Iron Man", "Smoke on the Water", or even "Rocking All Over The World" once you get plenty of practice.

Especially good if you ride in a Gstring. Just make sure you shave your legs first though otherwise you won't get the full benefit.
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • jumbojimbo
    jumbojimbo Posts: 7
    Sidi wrote:
    Especially good if you ride in a Gstring. Just make sure you shave your legs first though otherwise you won't get the full benefit.

Can't believe I missed that one!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Sidi wrote:

Just your legs? :shock: :lol:

And how would I stop my nuts falling out?

I'm referring, of course, to the bag of mixed nuts I carry for in-ride fuel. :roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Anonymous
    MarcBC wrote:

Hahahaha quality. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    No but seriously, a lot of research has been done in to bike fit and pedaling technique:

Not a lot of people realise but the best way to ride a bike is by sitting on the saddle with you left hand on the left handlebar grip, your right hand on the right handlebar grip. One you have this mastered you can start to actually "Pedal" the bike by placing your right foot on the right pedal and the left foot on the left pedal. Then pressing the pedal down and in front of one-side at a time should get the bike moving in a forward motion.

Once you have this mastered you can cycle for anything up to 5 miles!!!

There are other techniques such as "Steering" and "Braking", but they're for advanced riders only really.
  • oscar-j
    are mountain bikes 4wd?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    oscar-j wrote:
    apologies for hi-jacking this thread and being a tw@t-i blame the wine! no offence intended.
    anyway,i should really contribute something sensible so here goes...
    check your tyre pressures regularly,you'll be surprised how much they can change after a few rides

See now I bet you re using Campagnolo air. Because it's all Italian poncy it changes pressure according to how it feels at a particular time.

Use SRAM air and, although it may not be as cool on your helium/ice filled italian carbon frame it will work whenever you decide to sit on the bike and go for a ride (taking all of the above considerations into account obviously!). Some people who like slower but admittedly smoother air use Shimano but I prefer the quick albeit sharper and a bit noisier SRAM air
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    tips for a new cyclist??

NEVER EVER PUT YOUR HEAD ABOVE THE TRENCH. :lol::lol::lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    ddraver wrote:
    oscar-j wrote:
    apologies for hi-jacking this thread and being a tw@t-i blame the wine! no offence intended.
    anyway,i should really contribute something sensible so here goes...
    check your tyre pressures regularly,you'll be surprised how much they can change after a few rides

See now I bet you re using Campagnolo air. Because it's all Italian poncy it changes pressure according to how it feels at a particular time.

Use SRAM air and, although it may not be as cool on your helium/ice filled italian carbon frame it will work whenever you decide to sit on the bike and go for a ride (taking all of the above considerations into account obviously!). Some people who like slower but admittedly smoother air use Shimano but I prefer the quick albeit sharper and a bit noisier SRAM air

Yeah the Sram red air is the best but sooooo expensive. And do you really need the red air if you're not racing? Might save you 10 seconds on your TT time but Sram rival air is great value IMO, very low pressure loss over 2-3 hour rides.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited May 2011
    If you're new to cycling, you're probably looking for that magic secret which experienced cyclists all seem to know: how do I go faster, much faster?

You subscribe to cycling mags hoping to learn the secret.

You buy DVDs featuring the pros racing the grand tours, hoping to learn the secret.

You hang out on cycling forums like this, hoping to learn the secret, and some of you even consider riding audaxes hoping to learn the secret.

After all that searching and hoping, without success, you may start to think there actually is no secret. But the secret is real.

In fact, there's not just one secret, but two, which work together. And together they separate the leaders from the laggers, the winners from the losers. Master them, and you'll begin to go faster, and keep going faster, leaving others in your wake, trying to hang onto your back wheel, desperate to learns the secrets from you.

So what are these two secrets of how to go faster?

Secret No. 1
    The next time you're on the bike, press really hard on the pedals.

Secret No. 2
    Build on secret no. 1. Form a plan to keep pressing really hard on the pedals, to press even harder on those pedals in the future, and then put that plan into action.

The True Secret
    After reading this, you may feel briefly inspired to hit the road and start putting these secrets into practice, but then instead, you grab another beer, sit down, kick back, chillax, and watch the nation's finest young entrepreneurs on The Apprentice negotiating 1p off a £375 purchase. Or maybe fettle a bit, and fit one of those anti-static straps that they used to stick under cars to supposedly prevent travel-sickness, but which are now used to prevent the dangerous build-up of static by carbon frames.

You see, only you can make things happen and put your newly discovered knowledge into action. Only you have the power to motivate yourself to press harder, go faster, keep pressing harder, and keep going faster. The true secret is you.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited May 2011
    Derailleurs were invented in the first world war as portable jockey wheel and chain based, sabotuer implements for de-railing trains and other haulage systems.

Frontt Mechk, a German, saw the potential for using them to propel an item, as opposed to halt it, and thus invented the early version of todays gear system.

The gears were changed by downtube based shifter paddles on early bikes, as a tribute to the levers in old steam trains. Campagnolo, the famous Italian makers of gearing systems, was named after "Campiug Loco", the code for "derailed locomotive" used over the wartime radio systems.

Much of this is still highly classified, and not openly available due to the equipmet being part of early special forces test kit. Would be a bit ebmarrassing if you knew your derailleurs could halt an intercity!
  • Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    With all this talk of air, you are missing the point.
    What you need for those Paris–Roubaix-esque sections of your 5 Min. commute are some serious off-road tyre replacements.

16 trainers, each with their own mini air innertubes.
    (I heard some retailers do multi-packs called "pairs")

http://flic.kr/p/9JKfgZ
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • oscar-j
    Also,when pumping up your tyres,you must make sure the air goes all around the tyre.A common mistake is to pump it up,squeeze the top and think all is well when,in actual fact,you haven't put any into the bottom part of the tyre.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    oscar-j wrote:
    Also,when pumping up your tyres,you must make sure the air goes all around the tyre.A common mistake is to pump it up,squeeze the top and think all is well when,in actual fact,you haven't put any into the bottom part of the tyre.

That's a good point. Explains why only the bottom bit goes flat!
  • Andywyre
    Andywyre Posts: 73
    pawlo wrote:
    You learn most things as you go on. As for breaking in the wet, my tip is dont clean the sides ( breaking surface ) of your rims, works for me, carry a multi-tool, this has got me out of the shoot more times than i can remember, don't throw old inner tubes, cut them up - they make great chain-stay protectors, wear sun screen, do one thing every day that scares you, floss, remember compliments - forget the insults, keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements, stretch.

Awesome cd

For anyone that doesn't know get a life, how do you actually go out in a morning without listening to this inspiring tune.
  • oscar-j
    Andywyre wrote:
    pawlo wrote:
    You learn most things as you go on. As for breaking in the wet, my tip is dont clean the sides ( breaking surface ) of your rims, works for me, carry a multi-tool, this has got me out of the shoot more times than i can remember, don't throw old inner tubes, cut them up - they make great chain-stay protectors, wear sun screen, do one thing every day that scares you, floss, remember compliments - forget the insults, keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements, stretch.

Awesome cd

For anyone that doesn't know get a life, how do you actually go out in a morning without listening to this inspiring tune.

Lose Yourself - Eminen
  • oscar-j
    Don't always ride in straight lines.Eventually you WILL crash
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Sidi wrote:

Just your legs? :shock: :lol:

And how would I stop my nuts falling out?

I'm referring, of course, to the bag of mixed nuts I carry for in-ride fuel. :roll:

I'm sure you'll find somthing here www.nadsbikes.com I believe they have a racing team and crys of Go Nads are often heard from spectators. :D
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    Ok carbon is a common element on earth. In fact it may even be in our bodies. So on a hot day do take the opportunity to become one with your bike when body and frame diffuse into one enabling you to ride like the wind.
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    the bike doesnt make you go fast its your legs::PP lmao
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Anonymous
    masterchef wrote:
    the bike doesnt make you go fast its your legs::PP lmao

Well, it might be for you, my legs make me go slow.