Deep Section Wheels! Help Needed!

2»

Comments

• One Man, the reason I wouldn't get Gipiemme wheels is they have no reputation to speak of so if/when you resell them, you'll get nothing. All the old deep wheels they made like the Grecal Parade etc had the same downsides of being really heavy, overpriced, and just not desirable. Also, what if you need spares for these wheels in 3 years time? Wouldn't fancy taking that risk myself.

I know a few people riding their wheels (Gipiemme), not heard a bad thing said about them and they love them, funny how life is on things like that.

I also know of people struggling to get "spares" for major manufacturers wheel parts after only owning their wheels a few years, again, funny how life can be that way huh?

Also, I offered the Kinetic-One wheels as an alternative, I also point out you can get some of the other wheels that were on the list cheaper from Kinetic-One. ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Having raced again yesterday on my cheapest front wheel (a destickered A Class that came with my cheap TT bike) and Open pro 32h rear and been well able to keep up (in fact I was feeling strong and very optimistic leading up to the sprint until a nobber caused a crash) I really question the need for deep rims in a group race at our level...
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    HED wheels = generic Chinese wheel with expensive price tag.

ooh you nasty man, how dare you shatter my illusions that big steve had fashioned my wheels personally in the USA, whilst still maintaining that raised by wolves look of mysteriousness spent by spending many hours in the wind tunnel.

ok then, where can i buy a generic 23mm wide deep section wheel other than from HED ?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Having raced again yesterday on my cheapest front wheel (a destickered A Class that came with my cheap TT bike) and Open pro 32h rear and been well able to keep up (in fact I was feeling strong and very optimistic leading up to the sprint until a nobber caused a crash) I really question the need for deep rims in a group race at our level...

They're not necessary. I've been in the top 5 in my last 7 races riding alloy rims.
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    amaferanga wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

They're not necessary. I've been in the top 5 in my last 7 races riding alloy rims.

Good man :)

I think at our level you get more benefit from greater experience/positioning. You also need to be prepared to replace if you crash. That's why the chinese rims/wheels are perfect IMO, they are cheaper than many decent alloy rims! :)
  • 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    The Assaults get my vote! cheaper and lighter than the others but are good and strong

Can you write a review Of the Reynolds Assaults?
    Scrumple wrote:
    But cosmic carbones have made me quite a bit faster on my club rides. They spin faster, and have upped my average speed easily. No wish to ride with tubs as I don't race. I'd only swap back for big hills.

Why do they slow you down on hills?
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    06townsonj wrote:
    The Assaults get my vote! cheaper and lighter than the others but are good and strong

Can you write a review Of the Reynolds Assaults?
    Scrumple wrote:
    But cosmic carbones have made me quite a bit faster on my club rides. They spin faster, and have upped my average speed easily. No wish to ride with tubs as I don't race. I'd only swap back for big hills.

Why do they slow you down on hills?
    because they are heavy. weight matters on hill sections.
  • 06townsonj
    Hi,

Thanks for your opinions! Anyone else?

SRAM S60 are appealing to me at the minute!
  • 06townsonj
    Hi,

SRAM S60 are appealing to me at the minute.
  • 06townsonj
    Hi,

SRAM S60 are appealing to me at the minute.
  • Anonymous
    Go for them then. Maybe write a review for everyone else?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Scrumple wrote:
    Racing - yes.

But cosmic carbones have made me quite a bit faster on my club rides. They spin faster, and have upped my average speed easily. No wish to ride with tubs as I don't race.

I'd only swap back for big hills.

Also, having the alu brake track helps if you like to swap wheels, as you dont have to mess with new pads. Much better reliabilty for club riding. Not sure why you'd say deep section rims are less reliable?

deep section on a club ride :?: Prepare to have the p1ss taken :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    nmcgann wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:
    Racing - yes.

But cosmic carbones have made me quite a bit faster on my club rides. They spin faster, and have upped my average speed easily. No wish to ride with tubs as I don't race.

I'd only swap back for big hills.

Also, having the alu brake track helps if you like to swap wheels, as you dont have to mess with new pads. Much better reliabilty for club riding. Not sure why you'd say deep section rims are less reliable?

deep section on a club ride :?: Prepare to have the p1ss taken :wink:

Nothing wrong with riding deep rims on a club ride. Not everyone has different sets of wheels for different times and if a grown man took the p*ss out of another because the wheels on his bike are 20mm deeper then he needs to have a word with himself.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Why not look at a pair of handbuilt gigantex carbon clinchers from wheelsmith??

I'm on the verge of getting a set laced with cx ray spokes and a novatec superlight hub.

The Chinese imports sound appealing, however it's a roll of the dice if you get stung or not.
  • Anonymous
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Race wheels = carbon rims + tubs.

Posing wheels = 'deep' rims with clinchers

I'll qualify the statement - if I'd been riding clinchers in today's race I simply wouldn't have finished because of the potholes and impact punctures. Some potholes were right on the racing line and difficult to avoid in a strung-out punch doing 50kph with as much forward visibility as the ar$e of the rider in front. Plenty of people seem to like the idea of deep rim wheels, but frankly a weight penalty and lesser reliability wouldn't make them my choice.

Sorry, but I don't agree with all of your qualification. I ride 58mm all carbon clinchers with vittoria corsa evo cx 22mm tyres up at 140psi and they are great. They are no heavier than my Kysrium ES SL wheels and more aero. Also a bit of pschology plays a part, look fast/feel fast, maybe ?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The Chinese imports sound appealing, however it's a roll of the dice if you get stung or not.

Indeed. However, if you pay £1500 for wheels from a UK distributor who imports them from China for £600 and puts a couple of stickers on them, then no rolling of dice is necessary.