Deep Section Wheels! Help Needed!

06townsonj
06townsonj Posts: 509
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am going to purchase a new set of wheels. What wheels would you pick? & Why?

Here are the options:

Spinergy PBO Stealth (£800) - http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/product ... ucts_id=81

Reynolds Strike (£1100) - http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.ph ... itm_pk=640

Reynolds Assault (£1050) - http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.ph ... itm_pk=598

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL (£850) - http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/ ... Carbone-SL

SRAM S60 (£1100) - http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/s60-wheelset

Mavic Ksyrium Elite (£475) - http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/ ... rium-Elite
«1

Comments

  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I'd pick the Ksyrium Elites, because I don't need new wheels and they're the cheapest. Also, NEVER EVER use the term wheelset. Hope this helps.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Wheelset. Wheelset. Wheelset wheelset wheelset.
    More problems but still living....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    What are you using these wheels for?
  • I offer you an alternative...

    Kinetic-One K1-55C Carbon Clincher Road 55mm Deep Aero Wheelset

    Don't mistake the low price as lacking quality or performance. This company is brilliant, they are a small operation, but you get proper service and it's like a nice LBS where they are happy to chat with you about what you want and stuff like that.

    I have a set of their K1 wheels and I adore them, I've pounded them from late summer all through winter in all conditions and they are still going strong.

    They also have some of the Reynolds you mention CHEAPER than you are listing above. ;)

    If you contact Kinetic-One, say hi to Andy from me, he's a top bloke. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you have to have deep wheels but have never used them before then I'd get some Chinese ones from eBay/dengfu/yishun.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I offer you an alternative...

    Kinetic-One K1-55C Carbon Clincher Road 55mm Deep Aero Wheelset
    /quote]

    They're a claimed 1950g (so I bet they're well over 2kg) and they're made by Gipiemme. For those reasons, I'm out.
  • 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    P_Tucker wrote:
    I'd pick the Ksyrium Elites, because I don't need new wheels and they're the cheapest. Also, NEVER EVER use the term wheelset. Hope this helps.

    Why would you pick the Mavic Ksyrium Elites over the other deep section wheels, if money is not an issue?
    Wheelset. Wheelset. Wheelset wheelset wheelset.

    Why should I not use the term "Wheelset"?

    Thanks for the recommendation of these - http://www.shop.kinetic-one.co.uk/2011- ... -515-p.asp

    However, I have narrowed my choice down to the wheels in my original post, and therefore, would be glad, if you could help me choose which wheels to go for!

    Why have 2 people voted for the Mavic Cosmic Carbones SL?
    Plus, Why is there a vote for the SRAM S60's?


    Thanks,
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you want deep section wheels then why are you even considering the ksyrium?
    More problems but still living....
  • 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    I want to know other people's opinions!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You'll get more sensible replies if you say what kind of riding you do and what you intend to use the wheels for.
    More problems but still living....
  • 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    amaferanga wrote:
    You'll get more sensible replies if you say what kind of riding you do and what you intend to use the wheels for.

    I will be using these wheels in the summer months as my all-round wheels. They will be used for normal training rides, but, they will also be used Chaingangs, Time-Trials and Road-Racing (2/3 times a week)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In that case the Ksyriums.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For a £1000 you can get yourself a decent pair of regular alloy clincher wheels for general riding plus a pair of carbon-rimmed race wheels with tubs from the likes of Planet-X / Dengfu / Carbonzone for race duties.
    If you need to ask why, then suggest you just stick to the Ksyriums, spend the other money on a coach / training in order to go fast enough to justify the latter.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 06townsonj
    06townsonj Posts: 509
    Thanks, but, the wheels I am getting come with the bike, so, only getting 1 set!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    06townsonj wrote:
    Thanks, but, the wheels I am getting come with the bike, so, only getting 1 set!

    You could get the Ksyriums with the bike and some Chinese wheels afterwards then...
  • blade8
    blade8 Posts: 43
    I offer you an alternative...

    Kinetic-One K1-55C Carbon Clincher Road 55mm Deep Aero Wheelset

    Don't mistake the low price as lacking quality or performance. This company is brilliant, they are a small operation, but you get proper service and it's like a nice LBS where they are happy to chat with you about what you want and stuff like that.

    I have a set of their K1 wheels and I adore them, I've pounded them from late summer all through winter in all conditions and they are still going strong.

    They also have some of the Reynolds you mention CHEAPER than you are listing above. ;)

    If you contact Kinetic-One, say hi to Andy from me, he's a top bloke. :)
    sorry to hi jack op but i posted over on beginners about the kinetic k1 looking to hear from any that have them they do sound good
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    blade8 wrote:
    I offer you an alternative...

    Kinetic-One K1-55C Carbon Clincher Road 55mm Deep Aero Wheelset

    Don't mistake the low price as lacking quality or performance. This company is brilliant, they are a small operation, but you get proper service and it's like a nice LBS where they are happy to chat with you about what you want and stuff like that.

    I have a set of their K1 wheels and I adore them, I've pounded them from late summer all through winter in all conditions and they are still going strong.

    They also have some of the Reynolds you mention CHEAPER than you are listing above. ;)

    If you contact Kinetic-One, say hi to Andy from me, he's a top bloke. :)
    sorry to hi jack op but i posted over on beginners about the kinetic k1 looking to hear from any that have them they do sound good

    you can get better for cheaper elsewhere so I'd say they don't sound that good.

    Have a look at the "chinese carbon" threads
    Kev

    Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    The Assults get my vote! cheaper and lighter than the others but are good and strong.

    i would never get the Srams, reason... Too heavey and too expensive! they think that because they own Zipps which have gone up a fair bit this year that they can also up the s60. however like i said above they are too heavey! :roll:
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    if i were you i would get the cosmics and as you want to use them for training get another set too and keep them just for racing, either that or ksyriums, any reason you can't get the sl's? also if you are training on the wheels you get get clinchers otherwise punctures get very expensive
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a set of Fuerte Bici 58mm all carbon clinchers that are about 1580g and are excellent. I use them for racing and chaingangs. Have a look, small friendly company in Suffolk, Ben Nicholson is a nice bloke to deal with as well.
    Round about £500-£600 mark.

    http://www.fuertebici.com/
  • WilsonHW
    WilsonHW Posts: 32
    Just been checking out the Fuerte Bici website, seems like they have some nice products, especially like the frame!

    I was just wondering whether you had the carbon clinchers with or without the ceramic coating as its quite a hefty price leap. How do you find the braking?
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    For what you're using them for the Cosmic Carbones are hard to beat. Bombproof, Alu braking surfaces, clincher.

    I'd steer clear of a full carbon rim for training / general use (actually I'd steer clear of deep section rims completely but that wasn't your question :D ).

    Fuerte Bici seem to have come on a long way since I last looked. Nice website and some good kit on there.
  • they're made by Gipiemme. For those reasons, I'm out.

    Qué?
    blade8 wrote:
    sorry to hi jack op but i posted over on beginners about the kinetic k1 looking to hear from any that have them they do sound good
    Reply waiting for you in your thread.
    kfinlay wrote:

    you can get better for cheaper elsewhere so I'd say they don't sound that good.

    Ridden them have you?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    they're made by Gipiemme. For those reasons, I'm out.

    Qué?
    blade8 wrote:
    sorry to hi jack op but i posted over on beginners about the kinetic k1 looking to hear from any that have them they do sound good
    Reply waiting for you in your thread.
    kfinlay wrote:

    you can get better for cheaper elsewhere so I'd say they don't sound that good.

    Ridden them have you?

    I definitely wouldn't spend £600 on 55mm deep wheels that weigh almost 2kg.
    More problems but still living....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Race wheels = carbon rims + tubs.

    Posing wheels = 'deep' rims with clinchers

    I'll qualify the statement - if I'd been riding clinchers in today's race I simply wouldn't have finished because of the potholes and impact punctures. Some potholes were right on the racing line and difficult to avoid in a strung-out punch doing 50kph with as much forward visibility as the ar$e of the rider in front. Plenty of people seem to like the idea of deep rim wheels, but frankly a weight penalty and lesser reliability wouldn't make them my choice.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited May 2011
    Racing - yes.

    But cosmic carbones have made me quite a bit faster on my club rides. They spin faster, and have upped my average speed easily. No wish to ride with tubs as I don't race.

    I'd only swap back for big hills.

    Also, having the alu brake track helps if you like to swap wheels, as you dont have to mess with new pads. Much better reliabilty for club riding. Not sure why you'd say deep section rims are less reliable?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    amaferanga wrote:
    they're made by Gipiemme. For those reasons, I'm out.

    Qué?
    blade8 wrote:
    sorry to hi jack op but i posted over on beginners about the kinetic k1 looking to hear from any that have them they do sound good
    Reply waiting for you in your thread.
    kfinlay wrote:

    you can get better for cheaper elsewhere so I'd say they don't sound that good.

    Ridden them have you?

    I definitely wouldn't spend £600 on 55mm deep wheels that weigh almost 2kg.

    Me neither. Shop around and you can get Mavic Cosmics for that money. I bought some from Jedi Sports for £600 last autumn and they're a lot lighter and have an alu brake track.

    One Man, the reason I wouldn't get Gipiemme wheels is they have no reputation to speak of so if/when you resell them, you'll get nothing. All the old deep wheels they made like the Grecal Parade etc had the same downsides of being really heavy, overpriced, and just not desirable. Also, what if you need spares for these wheels in 3 years time? Wouldn't fancy taking that risk myself.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    the cosmic carbones can be had for £600 fromplanetx and ribble and more places as competition kicks in.
    i only want carbon wheels for the bling/pose factor - its a toss up between the security on mavic cosmic or chines carbon clinchers at around half the price - however my performance on todays club run has took the urgency off a little :lol::lol:
  • As a HED owner .. why no HED wheels on your list ?!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    HED wheels = generic Chinese wheel with expensive price tag.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..