Giro stage 7 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Short stage, but first mountain top finish.

Do the faves sit quiet or do the great champions launch attack after attack....
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It looks like the standard first mountaintop Giro affair where it's not big enough to do real damage, so you'll get a group of the favourites at the top and the punchiest of them will contest the 'sprint' finish.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'd love to see some true champions in action, but looking at the next two weeks I can see them marking each other and letting a non GC threat go up the road..but like the stage that Chris Anker Sorenseon won last year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish tweeted that the elimination cut off would be about 20 minutes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:

He must be hoping that the leaders take it easy then, or he may as well ring Peta nowand tell her to set an extra place at dinner tomorrow.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:

Was just thinking that too - short mountain stages can be very tricky at the back. And this is extremely short.

The gradient of the finish climb doesn't look steep enough for significant gaps amongst the favourites, although there's always one or two race favourites losing time. It'll be interesting though whether Weening, Pinotti or Le Mevel can stay with or close to the first group.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

He must be hoping that the leaders take it easy then, or he may as well ring Peta nowand tell her to set an extra place at dinner tomorrow.

If the backmarkers stick together in a big enough group, they usually just 'fine' them points rather than kick them all out. So he should be OK.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Visconti, Pineau, Canuti, Bak and Montaguti allowed to get away, but since the latter is just 2 minutes down on the GC...............
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Last km is fairly tough, enough for a handful of seconds if they want them and then there are the time bonuses.

Preview:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2011/giro-d-ita ... /stage-07/

Di Luca and Cunego former winners.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bonus PTP point if you correctly predict the winner's UCI Risk Index number.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    5!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Actually, this list could make a handicap system.

Dvide a scoring rider's PTP points by their UCI Risk number* to get a balanced clean PTP score system.

The UCI should release their risk numbers for all riders, updated quarterly.

* except 0, obviously.
  • afx237vi
    guinea wrote:
    5!

I see what you did there :wink:
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Visconti, Pineau, Canuti, Bak and Montaguti allowed to get away,
    Pineau should have been the Quick Step rider yesterday when I picked him and I still think he would have won.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:

Unrated

If you'd had more warning, we could have all picked five riders and got their points added to our total.
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Unrated

If you'd had more warning, we could have all picked five riders and got their points added to our total.

Unfortunately the list is only for the TDF. Some of the riders here would probably get me into the top 10 overall...
  • FJS
    Jeez, only just started and they're in the last 50 km. On the first of the 2 main climbs of the day now. Land and Cazeau in the counter attack
  • FJS
    Johnny H in the attack, from ony 44 km out today, immediately jumped past Lang and Cazeau
  • afx237vi
    PMSL at Hoogerland. Mad.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you gotta love hoogerland.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nutter!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • inkyfingers
    edited May 2011
    Surely he'll blow up on the climb after a ride like that?

The break could easily be caught if some of the GC guys go for it, question is do any of them fancy it?
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    PMSL at Hoogerland. Mad.
    :lol::lol: :shock: :lol::lol:
    I think this is his way of celebrating his birthday - his own birthday present - a day with no tactics whatsoever
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I think Zomegnan does a better job making 3 weeks of exciting stages than ASO.
  • afx237vi
    Surely he'll blow up on the climb after a ride like that?

The break could easily be caught if some of the GC guys go for it, question is do any of them fancy it?

He'll probably miss the time limit after this.
  • inkyfingers
    donrhummy wrote:

I generally agree, but it's also the riders and team tactics that affect the quality of the racing. There is so much more pressure on during the tour that I don't think people want to take risks.

The Commonwealth games road race last year had one of the least interesting parcours of any race i've ever seen but it turned out to be edge of the seat viewing.
  • donrhummy
    I hope hoogerland can pull it out, but I'm guessing without 3 minutes lead when he hits the last climb, he's not going to stay away. 17km is too long.
  • RichN95.
    donrhummy wrote:

He has a big geographical advantage though.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy wrote:

I generally agree, but it's also the riders and team tactics that affect the quality of the racing. There is so much more pressure on during the tour that I don't think people want to take risks.

The Commonwealth games road race last year had one of the least interesting parcours of any race i've ever seen but it turned out to be edge of the seat viewing.

I agree, however, I think if the same riders went to the giro and the tdf and were in the same shape at both and tried just as hard at both, the Giro would be significantly better.
  • inkyfingers
    Can't argue with that.

Hoogerland is a beast. How long till he pops?
  • donrhummy
    Can't argue with that.

Hoogerland is a beast. How long till he pops?

Not sure. He's riding out of his mind today. i could see him being caught but then later attacking again.