6 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre - ISD
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I reckon Petacchi put a large bet on him not winning... haha
    www.dotcycling.com
  • nikle
    nikle Posts: 32
    Pettachi was in heart failure mode,I guess nothing left for the final metres
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    ...or wanted to avoid the winners doping control.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Tres strange. Petacchi 2 pedal revs short. Ran out of breathe? :wink:
    Not that I'm complaining, since I picked the Movistar uphill speedster, elsewhere.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • emadden
    nikle wrote:
    Pettachi was in heart failure mode,I guess nothing left for the final metres

If that were heart failure mode he would have been visibly in more difficulty... even slumped... but what you had was Petacchi freewheeling and having a relaxed, long look to the left
    www.dotcycling.com
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    odd way to take second. i hope it was a true mechanical failure rather than a "cavendish" (a cavendish...verb...when you know you can't win so you just give up and look for someone or something to blame). we will see if petacchi mans up and says he ran out of gas.
  • nikle
    Ok didn't see the after shots looking at the other finishers.

I know these guys "recover" quickly!

So your saying a stewards enquiry is needed?,
  • emadden
    nikle wrote:
    Ok didn't see the after shots looking at the other finishers.

I know these guys "recover" quickly!

So your saying a stewards enquiry is needed?,

The jockey pulled up.... he certaintly did.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • nikle
    What would be the motivation to quit though, apart from not having anything left to overhaul the movistar rider who was holding on in those last metres, Pattachi's he's no spring chicken any more quite a big guy for a pro that will take it out of you on a course like today,Didn't he win a Giro stage last year early on the fade off a bit.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Just "another" stage win wouldn't mean a whole amount to Petacchi - perhaps he gifted it to Ventoso and will call in the favour another day? Alejet would probably like to score a (controversy-free) win over Cav on a flat finish. Might we see Movistar working for Petacchi on the run-in on stage 8, letting the Lampre boys save themselves for the leadout?

Or maybe he's just fat, old and wheezy and just got beaten by the better rider today.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    This PTP season is doomed - why does muppet Modolo decide to go in a break in a stage he has a good chance in at the finish? And why does Senor Windy think it's a good idea to win a hilly stage but gets dropped on the first little bump a couple of days earlier, when I actually picked him? aargh
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    wasabi_m wrote:

That thought did cross my mind as well
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,585
    Moray Gub wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

In that case it would have been better to accidentally get out of position, or engage a gear to low. Now it looks really suspicious.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

In that case it would have been better to accidentally get out of position, or engage a gear to low. Now it looks really suspicious.

The strange thing is that he pulled out of the slip stream overtook then looked across and backed off. Do you think he was making Movistar sure that he'd gifted the stage?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Its bizarre from Ali-jet. Surely 10 yards from the line you would still be pedalling even if your leg is about to drop off. I really hope its not drugs, but with such a random finish from him do they not have the power to check him anyway?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Its bizarre from Ali-jet. Surely 10 yards from the line you would still be pedalling even if your leg is about to drop off. I really hope its not drugs, but with such a random finish from him do they not have the power to check him anyway?

Surely, if he was trying to avoid being tested he wouldn't have bothered to sprint in the first place. He could have spent the day in the autobus.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Surely, if he was trying to avoid being tested he wouldn't have bothered to sprint in the first place. He could have spent the day in the autobus.

Anyway, he's leading the points classification so will be tested whether he wins or not.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

True, someone else in an earlier post sugested it was phaps drugs related so i was just responding to that
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    even without petachhi's odd behaviour, that is the strangest top 6 ever.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    even without petachhi's odd behaviour, that is the strangest top 6 ever.

I pointed out earlier that there was a strange mix of choices on PTP today. It turns out that collectively we were right.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's stages like this which makes the Giro have so much better racing than the Tour.

Weighted in such a way that many different riders are in the mix...and just for a transition stage!

Very clever.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Have a look who picked Ventoso for PTP, my guess is that is Petacchis forum ID :lol: