Giro Stage 6 Orvieto - Fiuggi *** Spoiler ***

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Five riders up the road: Modolo, Popovych, Veikkanen, Vandewalle and Veuchelen

We'll see if they stay away, the route looks good for a break but so far the gap doesn't seem that big, 5 mins after 50km but there's a long way to go.

Comments

• cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    can this stage be anywhere near as exciting as yesterdays?

I was bouncing like a little kid as they were coming down the bianche with their feet out like cyclocross riders! 8)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The PTP picks for today make interesting reading.

The majority have gone for climbers like Scarponi or Rodriguez

A couple have gone for breakaway guys like Pineau

And a small handfull have gone for sprinters, but this handful includes PTP big shots Kleber, andyp and FJS.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

And a small handfull have gone for sprinters, but this handful includes PTP big shots Kleber, andyp and FJS.

(sssh. take a look at the odds for the stage...)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    What channel are you watching it on lads?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Not Eurosport online i presume. Nowt but tennis :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't think the finish is suited to climbers (5 kms at 4% from 10 kms out) then an uphill finish but not a steep one) but I don't think the pure sprinters will be up for it too. I've seen Petacchi win similar stages to this in the Giro in the past so thought he was worth a punt, especially given how well he's been climbing this year.

If Bettini was still riding I'd have picked him for today's stage, but there aren't really any riders like him in the field.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Some odds for today.

Stage 6 Winner Live
    9/2 Alessandro Petacchi
    8/1 Mark Cavendish
    11/1 Stefano Garzelli
    11/1 Joaquin Rodriguez
    14/1 Oscar Gatto
    18/1 Fabio Duarte
    18/1 Angel Vicioso
    20/1 Francisco Ventoso
    22/1 Giovanni Visconti
    22/1 Gerald Ciolek
    25/1 Vincenzo Nibali
    25/1 Michele Scarponi
    25/1 Jerome Pineau
    25/1 Borut Bozic
    28/1Christophe Le Mevel
    33/1 Alberto Contador
  • nikle
    nikle Posts: 32
    Tennis balls
  • TMR
    Give me a clue then? Channel? If it's streamed please let me know where from.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited May 2011
    I first picked Visconti as he's useful in uphill sprints... but then read he's got knee problems and also that the finish isn't too hard. Then I hesitated between Petacchi, Modolo (FJS's pick today I think and now in the break) and Oscar Gatto. High chance none of them gets a point but the finish line is a long drag and it could come down to a sprint and maybe one of these guys might do it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    I don't think the finish is suited to climbers (5 kms at 4% from 10 kms out) then an uphill finish but not a steep one) but I don't think the pure sprinters will be up for it too. I've seen Petacchi win similar stages to this in the Giro in the past so thought he was worth a punt, especially given how well he's been climbing this year.

Oh, I agree with you (I've gone with Apollonio). It was majority going for climbers that baffled me.

My rule of thumb is that if I could ride up a climb without stopping, then most of the sprinters aren't going to be dropped on it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nikle
    British Eurosport or videochat.gazzetta.it/index-giro.shtml [/url], don't no how to post live links, new to these forums and a cyber neanderthal, try steephill tv there are a couple of italian broadcasters that are unrestricted.
  • TMR
    nikle wrote:
    British Eurosport or videochat.gazzetta.it/index-giro.shtml [/url], don't no how to post live links, new to these forums and a cyber neanderthal, try steephill tv there are a couple of italian broadcasters that are unrestricted.

Excellent - thanks :)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I was in a hurry when I made my pick (Scarponi). I've since had a look at the profile and would quite fancy Russell Downing for it if he gets the chance the ride for himself. Depends on whether the peloton goes hard enough to drop Cav and Petacchi. If they were here i'd say that it shuts Hushovd or Friere.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited May 2011
    Give me a clue then? Channel? If it's streamed please let me know where from.

I'm watching here mate: http://www.fromsportcom.com/v-2/6/20/v-262001.html.

Edit: apologies, I didn't realise someone had replied already.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nikle
    think hushvod or friere are californ i a bound.

Would be great to see downing up there, probably hasn't the legs here?, going to be a lot of fast guys at the finish- assuming ii does end in a sprint, 4% climb or something.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Kléber wrote:
    I first picked Visconti as he's useful in uphill sprints... but then read he's got knee problems and also that the finish isn't too hard. Then I hesitated between Petacchi, Modolo (FJS's pick today I think and now in the break) and Oscar Gatto. High chance none of them gets a point but the finish line is a long drag and it could come down to a sprint and maybe one of these guys might do it.

Looks like Visconti's knee just got better. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Impromptu Aussie sprinter conference in the gruppetto.
  • nikle
    Cav' dropping off
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Bugger Popovych is looking good, picked him a cpl of days ago in the PTP thinking he wld go for a break - PTP sods law.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Millar looks so smooth on his bike.

Good attacks here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Should have expected a Petacchi win after what he did in Turkey. Virtually a repeat of this stage. Doh.
  • afx237vi
    WTF, Petacchi sat up?

Edit: Or ran out of puff.
  • frenchfighter
    ??!!

Out of gas or thought he got it?!?!?

His kit looks sooooooooooooo cool
    Contador is the Greatest
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Viva Ventoso, viva Ventoso!
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Petacchi looks like he could do with his inhaler.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • afx237vi
    Very odd finish.
  • frenchfighter
    Who was 3rd 4th?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Nice work Ventoso either way. Nice move by Di Luca too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Looks like Petacchi had a mechanical there
    Contador is the Greatest