Lidl again - 19th May

2»

Comments

• geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Picked up chain cleaner, as my old one is knackered.

And lights, cannot have too much light on evening club run.

And glasses, as they looked good for price, and sooner or later I will break or lose my current ones.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    On inspection, I'd say quality was "adequate" though I know I won't be relying on any of the generic tools (regular spanners, screwdriver, hex keys) - I've long-since learned that buying cheap tools is a mistake in the long-run and these days,

Agreed, the Hex keys aren't great. One of mine has a round end after I tried to tighten one of the bolt on one of my bikes! The rest is alright though, not great, just alright. better than trying to do things with the incorrect tools, but if anything is really stuck, don't force it, you'll break the tool ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Glasses looked well tacky, socks, too colourful. No chain cleaner or grips @ Swalwell.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    might have gone a bit over board!

tool kit
    spoke reflectors
    gloves (for the semi chilly mornings)
    4 pairs of socks! :)
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Got the tool kit, and the chain cleaner. Ready for a play later.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Just modelled my mirror sunglasses with rain jacket that my Mrs very kindly bought me, she reckons I look like an old gay raver. Which is a complement in itself because I normally look like a right old miserable B**stard.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • SEone
    SEone Posts: 6
    Got the tool kit, and the chain cleaner. Ready for a play later.

I got exactly the same this morning at Lidl on the Old Kent Road. Still plenty of stuff left there.

Used the toolkit about an hour later to change a tyre on an internal geared hub. All worked very well. Looking forward to stripping my latest purchase with it.

Also, hello! I'm new.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Just modelled my mirror sunglasses with rain jacket that my Mrs very kindly bought me, she reckons I look like an old gay raver. Which is a complement in itself because I normally look like a right old miserable B**stard.

Don't worry , I'm sure she's working up to calling you a 'gay old miserable b*stard' .

Just turn it around on her and tell 'At least you weren't daft enough to marry one' .

:roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Lidl and Aldi do have some decent kit .

As far as tool kits go I've just ordered one of these , they have great reviews.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ice-toolz/essence-tool-kit-for-home-mechanics-ec006795

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Glasses looked well tacky,

They are alright really. Considering how tacky some of the upmarket brands look - basically from anyone elses perspective you'll look as cool or ridiculous depending on point of view wearing these as a pair of Oakleys....... The lenses seem adequately UV filtered and really quite OK. I'll use them as backup.
    snooks wrote:
    On inspection, I'd say quality was "adequate" though I know I won't be relying on any of the generic tools (regular spanners, screwdriver, hex keys) - I've long-since learned that buying cheap tools is a mistake in the long-run and these days,

Agreed, the Hex keys aren't great. One of mine has a round end after I tried to tighten one of the bolt on one of my bikes! The rest is alright though, not great, just alright. better than trying to do things with the incorrect tools, but if anything is really stuck, don't force it, you'll break the tool ;)

Interesting this - I have a similar looking toolkit I got from Woodrups in Leeds for twice the price. I assumed they were all much of a muchness but I can't say the hex keys seem bad in my kit (Lifu Prontool badged). The only duff one so far was the cassette removal tool which failed though I may have overtightened the cassette in the first place. Otherwise I've got good use out of most of the tools.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Just bought the toolkit, didn't think much of the rest TBH. I think it'll be fine for the few times a year its needed, I already have a cassette and chain tools but they're getting on a bit and keep meaning to buy a decent pedal and cone spanners instead of bodging it each time so its worth it for that alone. And when they do wear out I'm sure they can be replaced and its a useful case...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: