Lidl again - 19th May

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
More bike stuff from Lidl, chain cleaner looks good for £4 and the £25 toolkit (which I got a couple of years ago) I can recommend.

Don't ask for links, its easy enough to find... :lol:

Comments

• Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Oooh, their socks look the same as the Aldi ones but are cheaper! :D Can you have too many socks? ;)
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    That £25 tool kit is excellent. I've had one for 3 years now and it's stripped and rebuilt most of my bikes. I need to replace the crank puller (overuse) and the pin spanner (massive awesome power), and I've picked up a few extra tools as I've gone along, but as a starter kit, it's unbeatable.

The lights are a pile of poop though. They are huge, eat batteries and aren't bright enough.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'll keep an eye out for the tool kit I think...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tool kit here, for 3 years, its now built 7 bikes and done routine maintenance on them all when required, Crank remover is looking a bit 'chewed' but still works!
    Only thing I've added are an Isis crank tool, a chain stretch guage, a freewheel remover, (all of which sit in the recess inside anyway!) and a pedal spanner.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Toolkit get my vote as well.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wil have a look at the saddlebag as I need a new one, it it clips on ala Topeak then all the better. Glasses are also tempting.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Glasses, chain cleaner, socks and grips look tempting. Could use a new crank puller next time my BB dies.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    bumping up for tomorrow! :)
    going to have to skip extra long evening ride to get to the lidl! woop woop! :)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    richVSrich wrote:
    bumping up for tomorrow! :)
    going to have to skip extra long evening ride to get to the lidl! woop woop! :)
    Detour with a couple of extra hills to get to one for me.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I want a set of the ergo grips. They look decent for the price and will hopefully help with my numb hands on long rides.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Spoke reflectors are good
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Can't get to a branch till Friday morning. I do want a toolkit though. What chance?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CRAIGO5000
    Do these places ever start getting this gear earlier than advertised? i.e. tonight?

It's going to be a pain for me to get to a store tomorrow and I'm worried about not getting what I need too.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I bought spoke reflectors and several pairs of socks as we seem to have sock mice who steal lots of random socks leaving us with mis-matching random socks. Fingers crossed the socks are decent and don't turn into those annoying ones that runkle up in the middle of your feet as you ride along.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I bought spoke reflectors and several pairs of socks as we seem to have sock mice who steal lots of random socks leaving us with mis-matching random socks. Fingers crossed the socks are decent and don't turn into those annoying ones that runkle up in the middle of your feet as you ride along.

You need a sock cat to keep on top of those sock mice :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Damn, I forgot about the reflectors. Hope there's some left at my local this evening.
  • sketchley
    Several Lidl's on the way home. Got to love Tooting. So a toolkit (hopefully) will be mine!
    --
    Chris

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

I think I have about 400 individual socks - and not one seems to have a pair........

Not sure about the Lidl summer socks but the winter ones are my favourite cycling socks - in my not very extensive search for the perfect cycling sock, I've not found better. And they are durable.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    Rolf F wrote:

I think I have about 400 individual socks - and not one seems to have a pair........

Not sure about the Lidl summer socks but the winter ones are my favourite cycling socks - in my not very extensive search for the perfect cycling sock, I've not found better. And they are durable.

DeFeet Wollie Bollie are very very good.
    --
    Chris

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I stopped at my local Lidl on my way to work this morning at about 07:35 but it didn't open till 8. Working a 12 hour day today so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that they've got a toolkit left when I get there tomorrow afternoon...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    leave some stuff for me!!! :)

the socks - are they just summer ones, or do they have winter ones out now as well...and the gloves - just full fingers? not summer ones?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Sketchley wrote:

+1, up there as one of my best cycling purchases - even tempted to just wear those everyday instead of other socks!

Picked up one of the tool kits this morning. Stood there umm-ing and ahh-ing for a while before thinking 'bugger it, it's £25.00...surely I'll get that much use out of it?!' and snaffling.

Now I guess I can look forward to a weekend trying to put back together a bike that came apart so, so easily!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • sketchley
    lastant wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

+1, up there as one of my best cycling purchases - even tempted to just wear those everyday instead of other socks!

Picked up one of the tool kits this morning. Stood there umm-ing and ahh-ing for a while before thinking 'bugger it, it's £25.00...surely I'll get that much use out of it?!' and snaffling.

Now I guess I can look forward to a weekend trying to put back together a bike that came apart so, so easily!

I wear mine for watching rugby in the winter and for cycling all year round, they seem to be made from pure witchcraft, warm feet in winter, cool feet in summer.
    --
    Chris

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sketchley wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I use those as well - compulsory wearing in winter for those of poor circulation though still not warm enough for me ideally. I use the Lidl winter socks (which are just a little taller on the ankle and thicker than the summer ones) between Spring and Autumn except on very warm days when I use summer socks. The Lidl winter ones aren't meant to be an alternative to the Woolie Boolie.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    had the toolkit 3 years as well. Currently rebuilding my road bike with it yet again (MTB will be done soon as well).

I can't imagine how much I have saved by using it instead of the shop.

I replaced the chain tool pretty quick as it was useless, and the crank puller as I already had a better one. The rest of the kit is still going strong :)
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Picked up a toolkit this morning. On inspection, I'd say quality was "adequate" though I know I won't be relying on any of the generic tools (regular spanners, screwdriver, hex keys) - I've long-since learned that buying cheap tools is a mistake in the long-run and these days, for car-related stuff, I only buy top-notch gear. For the very occasional use the other stuff will get, it'll do. Lots in stock though

Looked at the other gear there. My view is pretty much the same - adequate quality. I didn't buy anything.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thisischris
    thisischris Posts: 43
    Just been there in my lunch break and picked up some full finger gloves and a cheap bike lock. Same old kit, average quality but at a low price.
  • CRAIGO5000
    I bought the handlebar grips and bar ends and also a chain cleaner.

Chain cleaner looks okay but the bristles inside look a little naff. I guess it'll show it's true colours when used.

The bar ends look like they'd snap off if used in anger but the actual handle bar grips feel very nice indeed.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Picked up a toolkit this morning. On inspection, I'd say quality was "adequate" though I know I won't be relying on any of the generic tools (regular spanners, screwdriver, hex keys) - I've long-since learned that buying cheap tools is a mistake in the long-run and these days, for car-related stuff, I only buy top-notch gear. For the very occasional use the other stuff will get, it'll do. Lots in stock though

Looked at the other gear there. My view is pretty much the same - adequate quality. I didn't buy anything.

I agree there is nothing like top end tools. Unfortunatly you would need 10x the cost of this to do it.

I saw it as an investment to get going, then buy better tools when the old ones break or become inadequate for more advanced tasks.

As it happens I have had to replace very little thus far.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP