The humble sandwich

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I just hammered home for lunch (and to swap bike for car as I need to give a colleague a lift home after work) and made myself an 'over easy' fried egg laid on a couple of slices of carvery ham nestled between two slices of homemade bread and liberally sprinkled with ground black pepper and sea salt.

If not the king of sandwiches then certainly a minor royal.

What is your take on the finest homage to the Earl? And sorry, to our transatlantic cousins on here, PB&J is specifically outlawed. Even a gambling sex fiend like the fourth Earl couldn't possibly eat so foul a concoction.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Simple jam (your choice of fruit) with real butter - both sides of bread buttered to let the jam slide about pleasingly. Yum.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Fishfinger and Tomato Ketchup.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Sausage and egg, with brown sauce in some lightly toasted white bread. I've just finished the sandwiches my lovely wife made for me, but am salivating at the thought of sausage and egg. Mmmmmmm...
  • Depends, sometimes it's bacon and black pudding with brown sauce, other times it's the humble cheese and Branston pickle. Delicious.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sausage and Egg on the weekends.

However, I am a big fan of enhancing my lame sandwiches with the humble crisp....Nothing quite like; chicken, mayo and sweetcorn with salt and vinegar crisps stuffed inside....
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    A simple bacon sandwich with a dash of sauce magic
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Christmas dinner leftovers with silver skin pickled onions.

Just as the dishes have been done and the evening film is about to start.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    I wouldn't underestimate the chip butty either
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Bit of brie in sausage or bacon sarnies works a treat.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sausage and Egg on the weekends.

However, I am a big fan of enhancing my lame sandwiches with the humble crisp....Nothing quite like; chicken, mayo and sweetcorn with salt and vinegar crisps stuffed inside....

Forget the chicken and mayo, and just go for a salt and vinegar crisp sandwich. White bread and plenty of butter (the real stuff mind).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    FRIED EGG on buttered white.

Oooh.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cheese, ideally strong cheddar in bloke-sized chunks, and onion - big thick clonky bits of onion, enough to keep the wife away for a couple of days. Dose liberally with salt 'n' peppa. Job done. Works best in supermarket cheap and in all other circumstances nasty white bread.
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    Peanut butter bovril and cheese or smashed up crisps mixed with salad cream.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Bacon sandwich with the proper brown sauce!

or my misses has a nact of putting together the best chicken lettice and mayonaise sandwich. A perk of life which i just cant recreate!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited May 2011
    A favourite concoction of mine, though it looks like sick is the following:

Coarsely grated chedder + big tablespoon of mayo + normal tablespoon of branston pickle + pepper all mixed up into a vomit looking browny heap on a bed of rocket....

Very nice, though it does pin you down to your chair.
  • rebs wrote:
    Bacon sandwich with the proper brown sauce!

or my misses has a nact of putting together the best chicken lettice and mayonaise sandwich. A perk of life which i just cant recreate!

A sandwich made by someone else always tastes better. Fact.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    First off - gotta be with home baked bread, ideally still warm from the oven, then either:

1: Rare cold roast beef, liberal amount of horseradish and a leftover Yorkshire pudding. Warm up any leftover gravy and drizzle before adding the top.
    2: Proper salami, 2 good thick slices, Emmental, cornichons, mild french mustard. Toasted until the cheese melts.

Butter with both 'natch.

Noms.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    First off - gotta be with home baked bread, ideally still warm from the oven, then either:

1: Rare cold roast beef, liberal amount of horseradish and a leftover Yorkshire pudding. Warm up any leftover gravy and drizzle before adding the top.
    2: Proper salami, 2 good thick slices, Emmental, cornichons, mild french mustard. Toasted until the cheese melts.

Butter with both 'natch.

Noms.

1) - I've never agreed with someone so whole-heartedly on the interweb.

2) Not far off what I had for lunch, although not toasted. Was surprisingly disappointed.
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

Butter with both 'natch.

Noms.

That's not a sandwich. That's an art project!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    +1 for the Xmas leftovers. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. Omnomnom.

I like peanut butter & jam, too (although recently it has been peanut butter & marmalade). Oh, and Encona West Indian hot pepper sauce sandwiches.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Agent57 wrote:
    +1 for the Xmas leftovers. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. Omnomnom.

I like peanut butter & jam, too (although recently it has been peanut butter & marmalade). Oh, and Encona West Indian hot pepper sauce sandwiches.

No no no no no Agent 57 - did you not read the original post? And you are not even a septic? (unless you are undercover......hmmm.....maybe the clue is in the name......)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Rules are made to be broken, bucko! ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    a smoked bacon sandwich on doughy white bread with a good ol glug of spicy sauce like this

oh an the sandwich has to be cut into two triangles because everybody knows sandwiches taste better in triangles

supercalifragilistic!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    mudcow007 wrote:

oh an the sandwich has to be cut into two triangles because everybody knows sandwiches taste better in triangles

This is true but I have never worked out why. One of life's little mysteries!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Anyone else like peanut butter and apple sarnies?

Turkey and cranberry is good, should be available all year round (for shop sarnies this is, I know they exist all year round if you make them)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Avocado & tomato. Fresh white bread, squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper, yum.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dhope wrote:
    Anyone else like peanut butter and apple sarnies?
    Avocado & tomato. Fresh white bread, squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper, yum.

CalculonNooo.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Hummus and salami go surprisingly well together on toast - I think it's the mixture of healthy and unhealthy that makes it work. At least, it tasted good this morning...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hummus and salami go surprisingly well together on toast - I think it's the mixture of healthy and unhealthy that makes it work. At least, it tasted good this morning...

Also works well with pickled chilis.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Your choice of bread, personally I like the seedy stuff. Make this into eggy bread. Insert 4 slices of bacon. Bit of sauce, maybe a cheese slice.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava