Tanned Commuters

mese13
mese13 Posts: 38
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
On my way in this morning it occurred to me that my westerly commute in the morning, followed by an easterly ride home in the evening means that the sun is on my back on both legs of the commute. Hence my pasty complexion. :(

Are commuters who face the sun both ways (i.e. heading east in the morning, and west going home) now developing mahogany tans?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Me. I'm cultivating some razor sharp tan lines on my arms.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :lol:

I go south east on my way in into the rising sun and north west on my way home, (kind of) into the setting sun.

I'm a bronzed adonis due to this!

I have noticed a rather embarrassing white patch where my watch is....luckily my watch covers it up.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    16 miles east in the morning (6am so too early for sun really) and 16 miles west in the afternoon, arms face and thighs tanning nicely!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I just get in red in the face and puffing!
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My freckles slowly join...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I'm starting to get Brown Arms White Hands Syndrome. Not immediately obvious to the casual observer but it's gonna keep getting worse as time progresses.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I don't like temps much over 20'C But I tan very quickly only need to walk past a window frankly.

so yes fairly tanned, the commute wiggles around but even in summer I normally come home in the dark at least once a week. though do also ride in the midday sun.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah I ride away from the sun everyday but I haven't particularly noticed that the backs of my legs and arms are particularly more tanned, I think just being outside in sun or shade helps develop a tan...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Any helmet wearers beginning to develop badger stripes on their forehead?
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    I chase the sun but it doesn't make any difference I'm always white.

I wear as little as possible (no mitts, cap etc) for summer commuting to try and get a bit of colour but it doesn't work.

In preparation for delivery of my new WHITE club kit I even tried a bit of fake tan recently (it's in the mens No7 range so it must be ok for men right?). The only thing I turned brown was my half of the bed. And the hairy bit of my big toe.

I'm gonna start shaving my legs.
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    pst88 wrote:
    I'm starting to get Brown Arms White Hands Syndrome. Not immediately obvious to the casual observer but it's gonna keep getting worse as time progresses.

I'm currently sporting the brown(ish) finger tips, white hands and brown(ish) arms as well. Not too bad atm, but it's only going to get worse...
    FCN 7
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Can I play? :lol:

Haven't noticed much darkening of the legs, but the arms have a bit 8)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm thinking of sellotaping my jersey sleeves to my arms so I get a nice sharp tan line :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm thinking of sellotaping my jersey sleeves to my arms so I get a nice sharp tan line :)

Why not take it a step further and try writing something in suntan cream down your arms or across your face... You know like "Love" and "Hate" or write "Guns" across your biceps or something...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Watch strap and shades lines are marring my nutty brown hue.

That and the distressingly white legs that only see the air in public in the velodrome.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my tan is coming along a treat if my watch mark is anything to go by

IMG_0347.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • King Donut
    mudcow007 wrote:

IMG_0347.jpg

I always forget that you're not an actual cow.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    King Donut wrote:

In preparation for delivery of my new WHITE club kit I even tried a bit of fake tan recently (it's in the mens No7 range so it must be ok for men right?). The only thing I turned brown was my half of the bed. And the hairy bit of my big toe.

Jesus wept!

MTFU.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    King Donut wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I always forget that you're not an actual cow.

i am just a well tanned one
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    my tan lines never really go away but this time of year they are improving 8)
  • Crawler2
    Crawler2 Posts: 29
    The skin on my face and neck is slowly becoming the same colour and texture as one of Mrs Crawler's handbags.

Legs, however, refuse to change colour. The hairs must provide 50+ SPF protection.
    My legs really ache.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    mudcow007 wrote:

IMG_0347.jpg
    Way back in '95 I lost my watch, it burned badly, now there's a freckly watch shaped smudge.

So far his year the freckles on my arms are starting to coagulate below the sleeve line.

Legs are stuck at pastey white.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mese13 wrote:
    On my way in this morning it occurred to me that my westerly commute in the morning, followed by an easterly ride home in the evening means that the sun is on my back on both legs of the commute. Hence my pasty complexion. :(

Are commuters who face the sun both ways (i.e. heading east in the morning, and west going home) now developing mahogany tans?

Yes
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    King Donut wrote:

Jesus wept!

MTFU.

FFS I take a couple of days away from the forum and this ^ happens :shock:

Fake tan .....! REALLY ...?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • King Donut
    itboffin wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Jesus wept!

MTFU.

FFS I take a couple of days away from the forum and this ^ happens :shock:

Fake tan .....! REALLY ...?

They said it was completely normal on The Only Way is Essex :?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm too fast for the sun's rays to catch me.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I have a north east in the morning and a south west at night, so good tan developing, thought it's in limited areas. I have to fake tan my feet, hands and shoulders :lol:

Going to Croatia in a couple of weeks, I'm going to look a bit strange on the beach with my cycling tan lines!
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Clare_M wrote:
    I'm going to look a bit strange on the beach with my cycling tan lines!

Sunbed or nudist beach - wear just arm warmers and leg warmers. All over tan - sorted.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Clare_M wrote:
    I'm going to look a bit strange on the beach with my cycling tan lines!

Sunbed or nudist beach - wear just arm warmers and leg warmers. All over tan - sorted.

Going with my parents, so nudist beach is out :shock:
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • itboffin
    Clare_M wrote:
    I have a north east in the morning and a south west at night, so good tan developing, thought it's in limited areas. I have to fake tan my feet, hands and shoulders :lol:

Going to Croatia in a couple of weeks, I'm going to look a bit strange on the beach with my cycling tan lines!

Snap I'm going on the 26th June