So what you wearing ...?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Yes you! what are you wearing right now?

More precisely excluding those that have to or choose to wear uniforms, what do you wear to work?

My reason for asking is that i've just been shopping for new work clothes, in the past this would have meant suits and white shirts, now days it's much more casual, today I bought several pairs of Ralph Lauren chino and some plain but smart gap trousers.

This is of course for normal work days, not when meeting customers or other big meetings, then it would be a suit.

Is this now the norm?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I'm working from home today. My flat's quite cold so I'm wearing a LS Planet x jersey with a 2009 Melbourne Victory shirt underneath.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Suited and booted, double cuffs and everything every day.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Currently the MD is favouring board shorts and rugby shirts, as for me - sometimes trousers and a shirt, sometimes jeans and a shirt, sometimes cycle kit.....meh!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Jeans and a t-shirt as standard, particularly if visiting a (building) site; a shirt and smart jeans if meeting a client (gotta look creative innit); suit for first meetings but ties are specifically prohibited (makes us look like estate agents). My site meetings are often on my way in to the office so several of the contractors we work with are now familiar with me in lycra (I usually pull a pair of jeans over the top to avoid snagging on scaffolding, and cycling shorts and steel-toed boots really are a step too far).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Jeans and a t-shirt as standard, particularly if visiting a (building) site; a shirt and smart jeans if meeting a client (gotta look creative innit); suit for first meetings but ties are specifically prohibited (makes us look like estate agents).

Buy a proper suit and tie then!! :P
  • rjsterry
    edited May 2011
    rjsterry wrote:
    Jeans and a t-shirt as standard, particularly if visiting a (building) site; a shirt and smart jeans if meeting a client (gotta look creative innit); suit for first meetings but ties are specifically prohibited (makes us look like estate agents).

Buy a proper suit and tie then!! :P

My boss's words, not mine. My suits aren't shiny enough to look like an estate agent, but they are proper suits.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Jeans and a T-shirt. That's been my work attire for most of the past decade. I'm a programmer/web developer, and seldom mix with clients. If they came to our office, they'd see me as I normally dress. If I were going to see them, I might dress a little more smartly, but it's unlikely that would extend to a tie.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Dress down day on a Friday but as I invariably cycle in I still wear a suit ('cos it's here)

We don't have to wear a tie any more either but oddly everyone still does (at least in our team anyway)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've changed into "smart cas" now, trousers and open necked shirt.... Was wearing my cycling gear until about 2 but got too many comments, someone said it looked like a courier had wandered in and decided to sit at my desk....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Always Suit at the moment as I'm working at a bank. As a freelancer I think it's important to look professional, anyway.
    They have token "dress-down days" here... I don't. Partly on principle (if I can do my job effectively in normal clothes on the last Friday of the month, why not the rest of the time?) but mostly because my wardrobe misses out the "Smart but Casual" stage between "decent suit" and "scruffy jeans"...

Cheers,
    W.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    black work trousers and a tee shirt. on and some very scruffy ex Royal Mail shoes. which makes me smarter than most of my collages!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Previously suit minus tie and jacket (proper trousers).
    New CEO, old ideas
    Now suit including tie (jacket sits on a hanger, unworn so far)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    Partly on principle (if I can do my job effectively in normal clothes on the last Friday of the month, why not the rest of the time?)

Pssst, you can the rest of the time, bank or not.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    I've gone from uniform, suit, suit no tie, trousers (suit) to jeans + shirt, i'm moving back to trousers + shirt, I think that's smart casual??

I blame the Americans
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    dhope wrote:
    New CEO, old ideas

Last time I had a suit made I had three pairs of trousers to go with each jacket, the jacket still looks like new :?

I'm happy to report though that today I bought trousers size 31" which is quite something for me because when I started cycling it was heading towards 36"

Happy days
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Trousers and shirt is normal.
    Sometimes wear a tie to disorientate my colleagues who still wear one. Suit for visits if I don't know the customer very well.
    Friday anything goes.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • dhope
    itboffin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    New CEO, old ideas

Last time I had a suit made I had three pairs of trousers to go with each jacket, the jacket still looks like new :?

I'm happy to report though that today I bought trousers size 31" which is quite something for me because when I started cycling it was heading towards 36"

Happy days

Yup, I got 3 pairs of trousers for the 1 jacket too. At this rate it'll be about £50 per time I wear the jacket :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    well, recent management change has meant i now have to wear shirt an trousers but when there was strict policy i was wearing shorts an tee seeing as my office is generally about 29C (even with 2 air conditioners and extractor fans)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Dress down day on a Friday but as I invariably cycle in I still wear a suit ('cos it's here)

We don't have to wear a tie any more either but oddly everyone still does (at least in our team anyway)

Where I used to work, "dress down Friday" had its own dress code. :roll:

There is no dress code where I work at the moment, but most engineers seem to wear trousers and shirt, with no tie.

The engineering personnel in semiconductor companies seem to be easy to spot from a distance - Shirt and chinos.
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    New CEO, old ideas

Happy days

Yup, I got 3 pairs of trousers for the 1 jacket too. At this rate it'll be about £50 per time I wear the jacket :roll:

Suits are such impractical things, they're expensive to buy, expensive to wash (you have to dry clean and can't just bung them in the machine), you barely wear the jacket so end up with worn out trousers and a pristine jacket and they're not particularly comfortable to sit around in...
  • rick_chasey
    Suits are such impractical things, they're expensive to buy, expensive to wash (you have to dry clean and can't just bung them in the machine), you barely wear the jacket so end up with worn out trousers and a pristine jacket and they're not particularly comfortable to sit around in...

Suits suck.

Even nice ones.
  • itboffin
    I agree but then again a good well fitting suit is hard to beat for style, with the right shoes etc win win on the other hand a bad suit looks shocking.
  • rjsterry

Suits suck.

Even nice ones.

This is why mine are reserved for special occasions: dark brown linen one for the odd work meeting (cool enough to keep the jacket on and looks smart but non-threatening to nervous prospective clients); bespoke black with blue pinstripe 3-piece for weddings/funerals/etc. Really like wearing the latter but then it fits *perfectly* and is exactly how I wanted it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    A brown suit?

Linen?!
    :lol:
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    I agree but then again a good well fitting suit is hard to beat for style, with the right shoes etc win win on the other hand a bad suit looks shocking.

I seem to keep following a certain tour bus with the slogan "We're all over London"; I'm so tempted to get a marker pen and write underneath "like a bad suit".
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    The real question should be - single or double vent?

I'm very prejudice about vents, and it won't be a good suit if you have the wrong one as far as I am concerned.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I work from home all the time and my wife refers to my dress code as 'oh look there's a tramp in the living room'
  • rjsterry
    A brown suit?

Linen?!
    :lol:

Exactly. No chance of me being mistaken for an estate agent. Or a QS for that matter. Only have to look at the thing for it to get creased though.

Oh, Double vent. Never liked the look of a single vent.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Headhuunter
    rjsterry wrote:

Suits suck.

Even nice ones.

This is why mine are reserved for special occasions: dark brown linen one for the odd work meeting (cool enough to keep the jacket on and looks smart but non-threatening to nervous prospective clients); bespoke black with blue pinstripe 3-piece for weddings/funerals/etc. Really like wearing the latter but then it fits *perfectly* and is exactly how I wanted it.

Trouble is linen gets so scrunched up, you wear it once and if you don't get it cleaned and pressed it looks like a piece of sacking the next time you put it on...
  • Headhuunter
    The real question should be - single or double vent?

I'm very prejudice about vents, and it won't be a good suit if you have the wrong one as far as I am concerned.

If you've got a big old ass to hide then double vent, if you're tall and slim (comme moi) single breasted, single vent...