Do you fly a desk or have a real job?

2»

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Work as a support worker, so no desk but plenty of wiping and cleaning, and taking folks out, got paid to take a lad out on a date last week!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    gbsahne wrote:
    Mechanical Engineer; spend a lot of the time at a PC designing but also get to run Construction Sites and install equipment

Process Engineer; spend a lot of the time at a PC designing but also get to run Construction Sites and install equipment
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Psychiatrist, so sometimes at desk, sometimes pottering about the hospital, sometimes in car seeing folks at home. Not on bike enough!
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    I have 3 jobs!!! All completely varied... So technically, you can call me self-employed.

1) Gardener/Groundsman for posh people who can't be arsed to weed, but WILL ride their sit on mower...

2) Climbing instructor (self explanitory!)

3) Bike shop as a mechanic/dogs body/tea maker/annoying git...
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Classically trained pianist. Probably spend near enough as much time behind a desk as behind a piano, arranging, transcribing, typesetting and (very occasionally!) writing music.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    You guys have actual jobs? I just work at a bike shop instead.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Gap Yah for me.

Mostly building sets for theatre productions amongst other things like sound and lighting engineer stuff. Though an increasing amount of desk stuff now i work in two departments.

After that it's off to be a skint student for 3 years, but the upside is there's some decent hills and country roads where i'll be going, even if i can't afford a tin of baked beans because i've spent all my money on bike stuff.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Work as a support worker, so no desk but plenty of wiping and cleaning, and taking folks out, got paid to take a lad out on a date last week!

Was the date a success? Will you see him again? How far did you let him get? If you got paid, is this the slippery slope to sex work?

Oh, you were taking him to meet his date!
    Only kidding. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have much respect for people who do your job. I know I couldn't do it.

How did the date go? Did you feel like a spare part/goosebury?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • well im about 50/50 being an it geek, have to sit at desk and spend half my time walking up and down stairs to different floors, carrying equipment etc..
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    Construction Manager so i haver a desk but i am rarely at it for long. current project is 1/4 mile from end to end and walking that daily means we average 10 miles a day. It has been known for me to go back on the tools to show peoplemhow to do the job.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    desk job and engineering student (i.e more desk work!)

Even as detachment commander with my cadet section I am finding myself desk bound :shock: :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I work 12 hour days sat on my arse at a desk, but I only do 3 1/2 days a week :D Compressed working = loads more riding time :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • roger_merriman
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Was the date a success? Will you see him again? How far did you let him get? If you got paid, is this the slippery slope to sex work?

Oh, you were taking him to meet his date!
    Only kidding. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have much respect for people who do your job. I know I couldn't do it.

How did the date go? Did you feel like a spare part/goosebury?

did feel somewhat spare, and we did need to sit so we couldn't see buses as even attractive young ladies don't compare to buses, But yes fun was had by all and hopefully will happen again soon.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    IT consultant and sometime management consultant, currently the Technical Design Authority for a major UK travel website, so I spend most of my day wandering around other peoples desks, standing in front of a white wall (thats like a white board but goes round the whole office) scribbling furiously or fending our sales and finance people off so I can look like I'm actually doing some work!

When not at work or on the bike or eating/sleeping I am doing what my wife calls 'messing around' e.g. either working on the bike, or in my study designing/writing/testing embedded software for prototype mechatronics (thats the fusion of mechanical and electronic systems) or in my workshop with my lathe and milling machine making parts for same or working on the car...

Hmmmm.. I need to get a life LOL
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Agent57 wrote:
    I'm a desk pilot, but recently, I've become aware of the idea of "standing desks"; i.e. standing up to work, rather than sitting down. I'm quite interested in the idea - might experiment with it at home, rather than trying to introduce it at work though.

I know standing meetings are quite popular in some circles, but I'd not considered the idea of standing to do my work.

Some links about the subject:

Is Sitting a Lethal Activity?
    Stand Up While You Read This!
    Stand while you work
    Why and How I Switched to a Standing Desk
    Expedit standing desk (IKEA hack)

There are some downsides to standing constantly:
    Working in a standing position on a regular basis can cause sore feet, swelling of the legs, varicose veins, general muscular fatigue, low back pain, stiffness in the neck and shoulders, and other health problems. These are common complaints among sales people, machine operators, assembly-line workers and others whose jobs require prolonged standing.

But perhaps they can be offset by taking occasional breaks to sit down; as opposed to now, where I sit down and take occasional breaks to stand up.

I certainly notice that when I have to go down to the shop floor; I'm now sure that for me, standing is more tiring than (even brisk) walking for the same length of time
  • I used to be a desk jockey but since being made redundant I've gone back to toolsetting on night shifts up to me elbows in oil and brass swarf,(it's great really) :?

Make full use of spare afternoons to get out on the mountain bike. 8) 8)
  • getjim
    getjim Posts: 30
    Royal Mail postie with 8 - 9 mile postal walk. No fear of me putting weight on. Find it hard to get out on my bike after a day slogging around with heavy post bags.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Armed Forces here.

Depending on what i'm working on at the time, i'll spend my time at a desk (pretending to work) or out and about (pretending to work)

For the most part, i get left to my own devices - if the weather is bad, for example, i'll stay inside!
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    When we're not building exotic 1990's Lego Technic or talking about bikes, we design chips for fancy consumer gadgets.

Ocasionally have to lug FPGA chip simulators arround the office.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    getjim wrote:
    Royal Mail postie with 8 - 9 mile postal walk. No fear of me putting weight on. Find it hard to get out on my bike after a day slogging around with heavy post bags.

There is an obvious question here.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Desk jockey. Plan to escape back to the country in a few years. No idea what I will do then, but it will emphatically not involve commuting into London, or spending quite as much time behind a desk.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I like having a desk job.

Next I want my own office.

In the first instance I'm just glad to have a job.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Desk Jockey....

Software Engineer for a small consultancy....mostly in financial institutions.....

Occasionally they give me a screw driver and send me under a floor to plug cables...

I probably spend a third of my time typing things into computers to make software work, and about 2 thirds of my time as a business analyst...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • roger_merriman
    getjim wrote:

There is an obvious question here.

cornwall has hills and steep ones at that, and a fully laden post bike would have 30KG give or take.

the area I worked as a posty didn't have bike for that same reason, a bike is limited once the grades start to mount up, and welsh "valley" towns are where the coal was, so clinging to the sides of the valleys, with some truly silly steep streets and very few even vaguely flat ones.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Yachting Photographer,

Here sorting out photos, and doing expenses before heading off to Mallorca tomorrow for the rest of the week to photograph a motor boat.

It's a tough life, but someone has to do it :twisted:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs