Do you fly a desk or have a real job?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm guessing that we will be disproportionately middle income professionals - but what do I know? Maybe 99% of us are in fact lumberjacks. Let's find out.

I'm on the darkside. I'm a salesman. Desk and car but rarely break a sweat outside of my commute on desk days (and the velodrome :D )
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yup, SCR is so much fun because I do sod all else active during my working day
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    At the mo i have just been made redundant but i used to sit behind the wheel of an artic,and from Monday will do so again :(
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    most people who post here during the day will be desk jobbers

might be a few shift workers and unemployed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Mechanical Engineer; spend a lot of the time at a PC designing but also get to run Construction Sites and install equipment
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i think the most strenuous thing my job requires is lifting a computer off the floor onto my desk, i generally have a little lie down afterward that too

im an IT nerd so there aint nowt physical about it

although at the moment when i get home from work im working on my house/ garden, dug 9 tonne of soil last night....does that count for anything?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    Work with teenagers doing sport and other activities during school holidays, so it's about 75/25 desk/active. I do go out and about and even turned up at a meeting the other day in my bike stuff. :shock:
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Desk jockey/computer pilot and occassional loafer
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Desk Job - err, posting whilst at work
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I spend my days walking from meeting to meeting browsing an iPad and pretending I'm actually doing something. Looking busy is more mentally exhausting than anything else.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm in sales too (well, currently between jobs but I live in hope...)

Lugging a little wheely bag and a laptop for miles around airports/hotels/offices can be quite tiring :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Asprilla wrote:
    I spend my days walking from meeting to meeting browsing an iPad and pretending I'm actually doing something. Looking busy is more mentally exhausting than anything else.

You may well be my boss / one of my clients!
  • robocolley
    robocolley Posts: 37
    I have a desk but since nearly all the people I work with are spread around the world it doesn't really matter where I work from so long as I make the calls I need to. Works quite well with a girlfriend in Geneva and lunchtime rides along Lac Leman with Mont Blanc in the distance are somewhat nicer than my usually commute through Reading Berkshire.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm in sales too (well, currently between jobs but I live in hope...)

Lugging a little wheely bag and a laptop for miles around airports/hotels/offices can be quite tiring :lol:

As can those looong lunches, entertaining prospect eh! :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Sit at a desk all day except when I'm walking from meeting room to meeting room. Nearest shops / pub is about 4 miles away so don't even get out for lunch.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    come on now seriously of course most of the regulars on here work at desks, and I use the word work in the looses sense.

lost man hours to sick days, nah matey BR more likely. If you've never witness one of the SCR pointless online milestone races like the 500 page (me), or the 1000 post then you haven't lived :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm a desk pilot, but recently, I've become aware of the idea of "standing desks"; i.e. standing up to work, rather than sitting down. I'm quite interested in the idea - might experiment with it at home, rather than trying to introduce it at work though.

I know standing meetings are quite popular in some circles, but I'd not considered the idea of standing to do my work.

Some links about the subject:

Is Sitting a Lethal Activity?
    Stand Up While You Read This!
    Stand while you work
    Why and How I Switched to a Standing Desk
    Expedit standing desk (IKEA hack)

There are some downsides to standing constantly:
    Working in a standing position on a regular basis can cause sore feet, swelling of the legs, varicose veins, general muscular fatigue, low back pain, stiffness in the neck and shoulders, and other health problems. These are common complaints among sales people, machine operators, assembly-line workers and others whose jobs require prolonged standing.

But perhaps they can be offset by taking occasional breaks to sit down; as opposed to now, where I sit down and take occasional breaks to stand up.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Desk jockey. Marquee erector was a lot more fun but didn't pay quite as well :cry:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Spend half my time chasing da Bandit, the other half eating Doughnuts
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Half n half; manual trade but management role.

Being a Traffic Womble means I can't really claim to be flexing my muscles all that often. According to Clarkson, all I do is shut motorways for i) my own personal amusement or ii) to pick up a wing-mirror...
    Rules are for fools.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sometimes wander off to check on things, chat to people, see what's going on, see if anyone's making me a cup of tea yet. Mainly sitting at a desk working like a trojan though.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    3 days a week im a desk jocky, the other 4 im in my woodshop (garage) man handling wood into various bits of furniture and instruments.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    mainly desk based, trying my hand at a bit of project management and can now get away with easy days by stomping about looking grumpy with a piece of paper in my hand.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Window cleaner here.

An active and stress free life for the last twelve years after desk/sales/driving/management lardy fat boy jobs.

:D Love it and the commuting free life it brings!
    I co own a garage and spend most of my time with a spanner in my hand
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Manager of a vocational training centre for adults with learning difficulties, a mix of desk plus nicer bits like occasionally getting to drive tractors and stuff. Best job I've ever had.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ha, you see ITB, not as feckless as we may have thought :shock:

A few proper manual skilled.folks on here.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Grafting in a machine shop on a centre lathe! Metal swarf flying all over! Swear words! Blood! Sweat! Tears! Easier than it sounds because its computer controlled so you can make product (and scrap if you are not paying attention)quickly and accurately. Making bits for train couplings, power stations, and some racing car applications.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    i lift slabs bricks and bags of sand for 9 hours a day 6 days a week.

the joys of being a yardsman!

:cry:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Bit of both - desk job working on slope stability issues, field trips 2 or3 times a year usually to somewhere where curried yak is regarded as haute cuisine.
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    double glazing fitter here, work up a sweat near enough every day plenty of muscle flexing going on lol.

Only problem is keeping the fitness regime up and still having the energy to earn the money at work. working on a price can be a real pita when your tired.