OT: Does anyone have a swimming pool?

2»

Comments

• skellator3
    skellator3 Posts: 200
    check this link out it costs £600 per month ro heat this one in the summer, more in winter when ambient temp is lower but its nice tho
    http://www.kinnelhook.co.uk/gallery/
    dont only ride a bike
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have 2 of them....

does a bath count?
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Hot tub seems like a better idea tbh
  • rml380z wrote:

looks like fun.
  • skellator3 wrote:
    check this link out it costs £600 per month ro heat this one in the summer, more in winter when ambient temp is lower but its nice tho
    http://www.kinnelhook.co.uk/gallery/

That does look very nice. Looks quite large as well!
  • edhornby wrote:
    10m sounds a bit short for proper excercise to me.... entirely your call but you'd be doing a lot of turns to get any kind of length and half of each length would be push off

with a neck weight for freediving I can easily push 10 or 15m

I don't push off when swimming in any pool. don't see the point, just conning yourself that you are swimming further / exercising more.....
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Was just looking at a house with a pool, seems like an absolute liability. Have got an outdoor heated public pool 25 minutes ride away...
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Pools = bloody nightmare!
    As you can see I live on a greek island, so there's loadsa pools, and lots of time to enjoy them.
    Dont know anybody who's happy with 'em, after that initial "novelty" period wears off.
    Too much time, MONEY, maintenance, cleaning etc.
    Steer clear I say.
    Finished
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    our swimming pool is known as the English Channel, just half a mile away from our back garden :lol:

It's a bit chilly this time of the year :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    We had one at our house near Chichester, I was a child at the time and all I remember was my mum constantly saying that she spent more ***** time cleaning the **** thing than we did swimming in it. She never turned the heating on 'cause it was too expensive, so it was like ice.

A friend has one now, I swim in it more than he does, and it costs them 'a fortune' to keep it at a decent temperature. They're 'work? why would I do that?' levels of loaded...

Shallower ones, I gather, heat a lot faster than deeper ones, irrespective of total volume. This is what I've been told, I'm sure JonGinge or one of the other fizzycysts will correct me!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    We had one at our house near Chichester, I was a child at the time and all I remember was my mum constantly saying that she spent more ***** time cleaning the **** thing than we did swimming in it. She never turned the heating on 'cause it was too expensive, so it was like ice.

A friend has one now, I swim in it more than he does, and it costs them 'a fortune' to keep it at a decent temperature. They're 'work? why would I do that?' levels of loaded...

Shallower ones, I gather, heat a lot faster than deeper ones, irrespective of total volume. This is what I've been told, I'm sure JonGinge or one of the other fizzycysts will correct me!
    I really must see someone about that.

Yeah, the shallow ones probably feel warmer quicker. Assuming the heaters are in the base of the pool (and are the same number and power in each), the temperature of the surface layer of water will be raised more quickly in the shallow (assuming conductive heating rather than convective) even though the average temperature of the two will be the same.

So, in the deep your feet may be warm but your torso cold and in the shallow the temprature gradient between the two should be less.

The greater surface area of the shallow means it'll cool down more quickly but will also be heated more effectively on a sunny day

Ramble over
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Turn off the heating, MTFU and just jump in, seems like a good solution to heating bills.....

I maintain the opinion that unless you are a guest house or hotel in Cornwall or somewhere else warm in the UK an outdoor pool is pointless when you stack up cost and effort against the number of times you'll use it.

Indoor pool is another matter. I'm thinking of buying this (I wish) see PDF for great shot of the pool. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 88638.html
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    JonGinge wrote:

I really must see someone about that.

Yeah, the shallow ones probably feel warmer quicker. Assuming the heaters are in the base of the pool (and are the same number and power in each), the temperature of the surface layer of water will be raised more quickly in the shallow (assuming conductive heating rather than convective) even though the average temperature of the two will be the same.

So, in the deep your feet may be warm but your torso cold and in the shallow the temprature gradient between the two should be less.

The greater surface area of the shallow means it'll cool down more quickly but will also be heated more effectively on a sunny day

Ramble over

I was thinking that too. Cysts is one thing, but if they're fizzy as well :shock: .
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Sketchley wrote:
    Turn off the heating, MTFU and just jump in, seems like a good solution to heating bills.....

I maintain the opinion that unless you are a guest house or hotel in Cornwall or somewhere else warm in the UK an outdoor pool is pointless when you stack up cost and effort against the number of times you'll use it.

Indoor pool is another matter. I'm thinking of buying this (I wish) see PDF for great shot of the pool. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 88638.html

Sadly, even for £15million, apparently you don't actually get a pool, but just an artist's impression of a pool conversion. Have a look at the small print.

£70 million gets you five pools, apparently.
    http://residentialsearch.savills.co.uk/ ... 0/hi/gbp/1
  • Sketchley wrote:

That's the one we are thinking of buying!

if only....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Teehee. Estate Agents, eh?

Look at this amazing swimming pool and spa complex...

...that doesn't actually exist, but you could convert the ballroom into something like it.

Perhaps when I come to sell my house, I should include a picture of a bowling alley in the particulars - I reckon the garden's about long enough.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Yes I saw that. But at 15million my negotiating skills would ensure pool was included.

Problem I have in finding 15million. Any care to sponsor me? £1 a mile?

Surrey house looks nice but 70million bit over priced
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    This seems oddly appropriate to flag up!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-13301317

There you go - have a pool, just don't invite anyone over to use it (stupidly).
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011