OT: Does anyone have a swimming pool?

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking about buying a house which comes with a pool & want some advice from anyone who has an outdoor pool......

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    someone i know is mates with Dave Unsworth (is/ was an everton football player) he said his gas bill for his heated pool was £3000 or £4000 per quarter :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Thinking about buying a house which comes with a pool & want some advice from anyone who has an outdoor pool......

I get my butler to deal with all the maintenance. If he's not too busy hiring himself a new somelier. So the only advice I can offer is to make sure it's got water in it before you jump in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188

I have this one (but in orange), what sort of advice do you need?

transparent-swimming-pool-c-01.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The parents have one, its housed in a green house type construction. Tend to rely on the solar panels and the sun (:lol:) to keep it warm, it'd be damn expensive to heat it from the mains.
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    :oops: I know a bloke in oz. who in the past had a pool, now says never again, cleaning pumping chemicals etc. too much grief. He says now if he wants to swim it's down to the the local council pool & let them have the work etc.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Can't you just burn peasants to generate heat?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Ask to see current owners heating and servicing bills (including chemicals) for the pool for the last year. It will increase your outgoings by an amount per month, best know what that is.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited May 2011
    I have something similar to this, with the heater in a garage next door out of site, but we rarely use the heater. Occasionally we'll leave it on overnight if the weather is particularly good, but generally just use it without. Ours is quite deep and takes a while to heat up.

5689895080_be99956720_z.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    One of my mates has a med sized outdoor heated pool, unless you're loaded you'd better be down with ice swimming :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    I think estate agents generally consider that a pool reduces the value of a property due to the maintenance and running costs, so I'd steer away unless you particularly want a pool. Also, how old is the pool, and how long are you looking to live there. If the pool is a few years old already, then you are quite likely to have to replace a lot of the kit and maybe the lining of the pool in the not too distant future.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • woodford2barbican
    woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
    edited May 2011
    The boiler & pump are new & it is well maintained. I think lining will need doing sooner though but will get someone in to look at it prior to purchase.

The pool will not be a deciding factor in buying the house, just want more info. But obviously recognise that it will cost me money to run.

@bails87 - Was thinking about burning peasants but they leave a nasty residue and apparently £50 notes burn much more cleanly

@mudcow007 - someone told me £3K for the year the other day. Lots of scare stories out there! Footballers are a different league though aren't they?

@Sampras38 - do you leave the pump on all the time?

The pool is 10m x 5m. I expect that we will use it May - Sept. Could I heat it for just a few hours every day during period to maintain a decent temp (19 - 21C) or do I need to leave the boiler on all the time adjusted to maintain that temp?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got a pond, does that count?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin wrote:
    One of my mates has a med sized outdoor heated pool, unless you're loaded you'd better be down with ice swimming :shock:

Can you define loaded?

Then I will be able to base my decision on your advice!

:)
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    The boiler & pump are new & it is well maintained. I think lining will need doing sooner though but will get someone in to look at it prior to purchase.

The pool will not be a deciding factor in buying the house, just want more info. But obviously recognise that it will cost me money to run.

@bails87 - Was thinking about burning peasants but they leave a nasty residue and apparently £50 notes burn much more cleanly

@mudcow007 - someone told me £3K for the year the other day. Lots of scare stories out there! Footballers are a different league though aren't they?

@Sampras38 - do you leave the pump on all the time?

The pool is 10m x 5m. I expect that we will use it May - Sept. Could I heat it for just a few hours every day during period to maintain a decent temp (19 - 21C) or do I need to leave the boiler on all the time adjusted to maintain that temp?

No, the pump is only on when we use it, or periodically when we do a clean.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:

Can you define loaded?

If you have to ask the price... :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Can you define loaded?

Carbon + Di2 + Deep Carbon Rims on the commuter. :wink:
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Different pools and system cost different amounts to run so be sure you know what this one costs. A director here has heated pool and pool house so he can us it all year round, I think there's gym equipment and a sauna in there too! Costs him a lot of money to run, I think he said it's a couple of hundred notes a month on heating and chemicals. But he knew this before buying the house as he looked at previous owners bills so budgeted for it. However by the time you take in to account gym membership for his family it's not the much more. Also find out how long / difficult maintenance is do. You my find you need to spend a few hours week cleaning which can be a bummer (especially with a nagging wife). Of course a "pool man" will do the job for you but again it's more money.

I believe new filter systems use less chemicals (UV filters etc) and you can save a fortune heating the pool via solar, both of which can be retrofitted so I'd look at those options too.

With the exception of the director with pool house who can swim every morning before work, my friends that have had outdoor pools say far too much work and expense for a few days use in the summer.

Buy the house fill the pool in, sell off the equipment on ebay and turn it in to a vegetable patch.
    --
    Chris

• fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    A friend has one.

A few years ago I remember him talking of gas bills of 75pds per week
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Bloody hell, you people know people with pool?

*Shakes head and wanders back down t'pit.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why the fudge do you need an Outdoor pool in England? For those two days when its unbearbly hot and happens to be a weekend?

Indoor subteranean pool, a girl I know has one, lives in Holborn (I didn't actually think it was possible to live in such a place).

I also have an indoor pool. Though I call mine a bath.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've got a pool. Nice, heated, separate changing areas, people at the door to welcome visitors, lifeguards on duty, occasional fit burds & attractive young mothers drop in, there's a sauna alongside & lots of people from the surrounding villages use it as long as they contribute to the costs. I call it The Swan Pool in Buckingham, or The Local Baths. It's so much easier and cost-effective to let the local council run a swimming pool on your behalf.

Isn't having your own a pool a bit naff these days, a bit footballers wives?
  • Sketchley wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Can you define loaded?

Carbon + Di2 + Deep Carbon Rims on the commuter. :wink:

Columbus SL steel tubing, 1990 vintage, friction shifters, 7 speed, box section rims.
  • CiB wrote:
    I've got a pool. Nice, heated, separate changing areas, people at the door to welcome visitors, lifeguards on duty, occasional fit burds & attractive young mothers drop in, there's a sauna alongside & lots of people from the surrounding villages use it as long as they contribute to the costs. I call it The Swan Pool in Buckingham, or The Local Baths. It's so much easier and cost-effective to let the local council run a swimming pool on your behalf.

Isn't having your own a pool a bit naff these days, a bit footballers wives?

Maybe, but like public transport the problem with public pools is the other people.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why the fudge do you need an Outdoor pool in England? For those two days when its unbearbly hot and happens to be a weekend?

Indoor subteranean pool, a girl I know has one, lives in Holborn (I didn't actually think it was possible to live in such a place).

I also have an indoor pool. Though I call mine a bath.

I agree. But it is already there. I will use it though. I swim a lot & IMO 10m is just about enough to exercise in.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    A mate of mine had a pool - said he'd never have one again, money and effort black hole.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Different pools and system cost different amounts to run so be sure you know what this one costs. A director here has heated pool and pool house so he can us it all year round, I think there's gym equipment and a sauna in there too! Costs him a lot of money to run, I think he said it's a couple of hundred notes a month on heating and chemicals. But he knew this before buying the house as he looked at previous owners bills so budgeted for it. However by the time you take in to account gym membership for his family it's not the much more. Also find out how long / difficult maintenance is do. You my find you need to spend a few hours week cleaning which can be a bummer (especially with a nagging wife). Of course a "pool man" will do the job for you but again it's more money.

I believe new filter systems use less chemicals (UV filters etc) and you can save a fortune heating the pool via solar, both of which can be retrofitted so I'd look at those options too.

With the exception of the director with pool house who can swim every morning before work, my friends that have had outdoor pools say far too much work and expense for a few days use in the summer.

Buy the house fill the pool in, sell off the equipment on ebay and turn it in to a vegetable patch.

Ha! Start new job soon in which I will be a company director. So I therefore presume I should buy the house and the pool.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    An office I once worked in had a 40 foot diameter 30 foot high tank for testing ROVs in. I think the odd diver was dunked in now and then too. It was in Aberdeen and it wasn't heated so we seldom used it for swimming :-)

You did get a nice view of the town from the portacabin we had perched at the top though.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You could empty it, put in a ramp and roof, bish-bosh you have a basement workshop ready to be filled with all things bicycle related.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    itboffin wrote:
    You could empty it, put in a ramp and roof, bish-bosh you have a basement workshop ready to be filled with all things bicycle related.

Bit of banked concrete... et voila! A velodrome...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    10m sounds a bit short for proper excercise to me.... entirely your call but you'd be doing a lot of turns to get any kind of length and half of each length would be push off

with a neck weight for freediving I can easily push 10 or 15m
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight