Castelli Free Aero bibshorts.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I know some of you/had have these from previous posts and I think I'll get some. Was the Castelli size chart correct when you ordered? I've been using Santini Twistgel in XL. Thanks.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah spot on. They are BRILL!! :o
  • Aggieboy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yeah spot on. They are BRILL!! :o

Thanks for quick reply, finger hovering over button deciding on which pair. I thought you were one of the owners but not sure. x :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • greeny1
    greeny1 Posts: 106
    Sorry to hijack your post but I have been looking at Castelli bibshorts myself, Want a posjh comfy pair and they are my preference over Assos, Is it best to go a size up? I have a 33 inch waist and I am 6'3 would I be better with XL, My Demarchi and DHB bibs are both large! And am i better with free aero or bodypaint? Cheers, Aggieboy have you bought them yet? How are they?
  • Anonymous
    Wtf? How quick is Internet shipping where you live?!?

Aggie was thinking of pressing 'buy' and you're asking him what he thinks of them! :o;)

Just go by what size you are on the size chart, they are accurate. According to the chart I'm an XL, I ordered XL and they fit beautifully!
  • greeny1
    greeny1 Posts: 106
    Yer I live by Jupiter time :) large it is then cheers NAP
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, I'd have thought by your measurements you'd be XL...
    I'm an inch shorter with same waist... You are a tiny bit taller too ;)
  • Aggieboy
    greeny1 wrote:
    Sorry to hijack your post but I have been looking at Castelli bibshorts myself, Want a posjh comfy pair and they are my preference over Assos, Is it best to go a size up? I have a 33 inch waist and I am 6'3 would I be better with XL, My Demarchi and DHB bibs are both large! And am i better with free aero or bodypaint? Cheers, Aggieboy have you bought them yet? How are they?

Fantastic!! I wouldn't even know I was wearing them.
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for size being spot on. I initially thought they were a bit tight when I put them on but after a couple of rides they feel fab.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I bought some and went a size up and found that spot on. I also have a Castelli Test team top and did the same. Mind you I find this normal for all italian stuff (Altura/Endura I am medium, Nalini/Santini/Castelli I am fatboy large).

Mine are in the washing machine at this very moment having been for a spin out tonight. Top shorts and a great tip from the chaps, mucho gracios :)
  • SteveBowen
    SteveBowen Posts: 23
    I am 6ft & 11st and large fit me just fine, a little short in the leg but I find them all a bit like that now. They are the comfiest shorts I own and have some Assos F1 Uno as well.
    Mind you I have an Aero Race Jersey and had to go up to XXL from large for a decent fit.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Just got some. No one mentioned that the side panels are see through! Just to make sure they are the ones with the stripy weave pattern?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do all the Castelli shorts have the Kiss pad? I have a pair of Nanotech shorts with the Kiss pad and I don't find the pad as comfy as the Assos pad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Aggieboy
    Do all the Castelli shorts have the Kiss pad? I have a pair of Nanotech shorts with the Kiss pad and I don't find the pad as comfy as the Assos pad.

No. These have a Progetto X2 pad (gel).
  • Anonymous
    The pad in these is better than Assos etc. IMO....
  • Aggieboy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The pad in these is better than Assos etc. IMO....

Thanks for that update, in view of this. I see the pad in the Uno's mention isn't gel, so I'm still going to try them as my current ones have it. Waiting for their arrival to see if they're "see through" :shock: (I ordered the plain black)
  • peter101cycle
    peter101cycle Posts: 298
    greeny1 wrote:

Got a pair of Castelli BodyPaint shorts last week, to replace my Assos pair that have lasted me about 4/5 years.....I am 6ft and 12 stone, with XL & they are snug on me shall we say :lol:

After a long ride round the IOW over the last weekend, I felt more comfortable on the bike than I have done before......recommended!
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    So what do you base the sizing on - waist or chest size? Castelli don't appear provide a guide based on riders height. Am 6' 2" with 34" waist - should I go for XL?

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Anonymous
    Derosa, you are same measurements as me, yeah, XL...
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I have these and they are very nice indeed.

Im 5'11 34w and L fits great.
  • Andyb10
    Andyb10 Posts: 126
    Am 6'1'' and 34/35 waist - bought XL aero fit and they fit fine - preferred choice over my Assos ones now
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    I just received a pair from Ribble. I'm 6ft, waist 33 and I went for an XL based on the height value in Ribble's Castelli size chart. Having tried them on they do fit but they don't feel as tight as I'd expect (certainly not as tight as Assos Uno's in XL) and the legs seem a little long (almost down to the top of my knee). Am pondering returning them for an L but I'm wondering if my height would make them feel a bit too short over my shoulders.
  • Bobbinogs
    I think at 6ft you are close to the top of the range for Large, judging by what my own experience and others have posted, but still within it.

I am 5'9ish, 32 waist and the large are a lovely fit around my legs/bum but my other bibs are slightly tighter over the shoulders and still ok. Other folks are 6'1 and also fit a large so I think that is probably the range (as in 5'9ish to 6ft'1ish, 32-34 for large). XL probably starts near the extreme of the scale and overlaps slightly. However, it does sound slightly too big for you and it would be worth trying large. I guess the problem is that our shapes are all slightly different (thighs, chest, etc.,) so it is a case of suck it and see. At this price, you want them to be as right as possible, and they really are lovely to ride in.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Derosa, you are same measurements as me, yeah, XL...

That's great - many thanks.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    Cheers Bobbinogs, sounds like good advice
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Quick further Q on sizing if I may...

Is it best to go with the chest/waist measurements or the height?

I am short and "squat" (5'6 and 11st - 40in chest, 32in waist) so would be L by chest/waist and M (or even SM) by height.

I am erring towards the L but thought I would consult other owners
  • Aggieboy
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Quick further Q on sizing if I may...

Is it best to go with the chest/waist measurements or the height?

I am short and "squat" (5'6 and 11st - 40in chest, 32in waist) so would be L by chest/waist and M (or even SM) by height.

I am erring towards the L but thought I would consult other owners

I'd suggest L for you. They are a snug fit and you'd need the 'large' bit to be the actual shorts imo.
  • Bobbinogs
    Difficult one because I would suggest M.

In an ideal world (where Castelli made the shorts just for me) I would have my Large pair (phnar) slightly tighter over the shoulders but not by much. I am about 3-4 inches taller than you so you may find the shoulder straps feel a bit loose which means they won't hold the bib snugly in place. I didn't try the Mediums but figure I could actually wear them as I would be at the top of that range but the large do fit me so well around the bum/legs that medium will probably be slightly too tight for me.

I guess I am really saying it depends on quite a few factors so maybe check out the returns policy before you buy.

Sometimes I buy two sizes of kit, accepting that one of them will be returned but at least I will be sure of the fit for the one item I keep. It adds about £4 to each high value purchase (for additional postage) but I figure I am worth it 8)
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Difficult one because I would suggest M.

In an ideal world (where Castelli made the shorts just for me) I would have my Large pair (phnar) slightly tighter over the shoulders but not by much. I am about 3-4 inches taller than you so you may find the shoulder straps feel a bit loose which means they won't hold the bib snugly in place. I didn't try the Mediums but figure I could actually wear them as I would be at the top of that range but the large do fit me so well around the bum/legs that medium will probably be slightly too tight for me.

I guess I am really saying it depends on quite a few factors so maybe check out the returns policy before you buy.

Sometimes I buy two sizes of kit, accepting that one of them will be returned but at least I will be sure of the fit for the one item I keep. It adds about £4 to each high value purchase (for additional postage) but I figure I am worth it 8)

Thanks - I think I might go down that route because I too am concerned that the straps will be loose. It may be that I am just not castelli-sized but I will give it a go!!

Ribble seem best-priced and their returns policy is ok so I will probably go with them although they don't have any large shorts in black at the moment, so will need to wait a while
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have L and have now bought M to make sure. Will send one back. The Castelli size charts say M the Ribble size charts say L for my height. 5-10.5, 32" waist.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo