Giro preview.

13»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:

The Giro-Tour double is almost impossible these days (IMO), especially with the Giro parcours of recent years (riders must be praying that Guardini develops into the top sprinter so they get easier Giros)
    Or an Italian time trial champion to emerge, a la Moser
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    StefanP wrote:
    Some Giro stats for this year:

Oldest Rider = Andrea Noè (42!)
    Youngest Rider = Carlos Alberto Gomez
    Lightest Rider = José Rujano
    Heaviest Rider = Alex Rasmussen
    Tallest Rider = Olivier Kaisen
    Shortest Rider = José Rujano
    "Thinnest" Rider = Francesco Masciarelli
    "Fattest" Rider = Alex Rasmussen

btw Thinnest/fattest are based on BMI - not very scientific I know but it gives a general weight/height ratio

Full Information Here
    Giro Stats
    José Rujano is 48kg?!? That's unbelievably light.
    (Highest BMI is Napolitano at 27.08, I think)
    The BMI column is quite interesting: many of the riders are where you'd expect them to be (low twenties, high teens), but a few are up in the 27ish range, which seems a lot for a cyclist, but particularly one going into this hugely hilly giro. (I vary between 75 & 80kg when properly fit, depending on the sort of exercise I'm doing & am 1.92m: at my best, I'm a bad climber, but Rasmussen is heavier & shorter than me. I can imagine him struggling. No doubt he has a far better power output, but the pace will be higher).
    Cheers for posting, one of those interesting things that doesn't really tell you much, but is fascinating for a while anyway!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pretty impressive that they can have this sort of thing:
    Getty
    cf90876ca6fcc56b2e70e2886d93ac7c-getty-cycling-ita-tour-giro-ceremony.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    José Rujano is 48kg?!? That's unbelievably light.
    (Highest BMI is Napolitano at 27.08, I think)
    The BMI column is quite interesting: many of the riders are where you'd expect them to be (low twenties, high teens), but a few are up in the 27ish range, which seems a lot for a cyclist, but particularly one going into this hugely hilly giro. (I vary between 75 & 80kg when properly fit, depending on the sort of exercise I'm doing & am 1.92m: at my best, I'm a bad climber, but Rasmussen is heavier & shorter than me. I can imagine him struggling. No doubt he has a far better power output, but the pace will be higher).
    Cheers for posting, one of those interesting things that doesn't really tell you much, but is fascinating for a while anyway!

Hi, yes, the Napolitano one is too high, his real weight is some way lower - 77kg rather than the stated 82, making his real BMI 25.43 - actually still the highest by 0.01 I think!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Funny how Contador is considered the outright favourite by everyone on this forum and out. I thought he was only good because...

Anyway, yes he always was and still is the Worlds Best Champion Stage Racer.

Well, the previous owner of that title was always considered outright favourite for the Tour by everyone on every forum.
    I cannot agree with that B.S.
    The Worlds Best Champion Stage Racer as you infer can only get one 4th place in the Vuelta and bugger all in the Giro.
    How many stages would he want nullified in this years GIRO.
    His team would have had trouble giving him his armchair ride with more than one GT in a year.
    I would suggest you say the Worlds Best Champion (Tour de France) Team Leader Stage Racer. (which is a lot different for short memories around here)

One Race seven times is not one of the best champion stage racers but I have to say it counts for something.
    What is it 15th best stage racer. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Since it is such a tough corse, I expect Contador to clean up, and Nibs is going to falter big time...

*ahem*
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Since it is such a tough corse, I expect Contador to clean up, and Nibs is going to falter big time...

*ahem*

Self praise is, well you know ;)
  • rick_chasey
    dougzz wrote:

*ahem*

Self praise is, well you know ;)

Self praise is always good praise ;)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

*ahem*

Ha! Picking a clean up Contador is standard if you are a believer in raw talent. The Sicilian hasnt faltered - he is on the podium, only two riders currently better than him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Note to self- follow Rick's PTP picks for the Tour
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:

Don't let his bluster fool you. He's currently in 60th position - even behind me. And I make all sorts of bonkers picks.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ha!
    I'm 44th. Currently.
    Unfortunately, in the expectation that raw desire would propel him up those hills and after reading the Procycling article on him, I hopefully picked Nibali for GC. So I expect to finish in the 100s.[/i]
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Don't let his bluster fool you. He's currently in 60th position - even behind me. And I make all sorts of bonkers picks.

My Boonen love-in encroached onto my classics PTP choices.

It has been very expensive.