Giro preview.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Alright guys, the connoisseur's favourite is upon us, and since this is a forum, surely we should be spuriously speculating about 3weeks solid of racing?

As far as I am concerned, the organisers have really done something quite special when it comes to the 'transition' stages. Every one is interesting and different, bar 2 pan flatters.

I get the impression the big mountains might be a little too much, but christ they sure know how to create interest across the whole 3 weeks.

Since it is such a tough corse, I expect Contador to clean up, and Nibs is going to falter big time...

Comments

• stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Yes,definately one for the cognoscenti.
    With the route being so hard alot of people seem to be ruling out menchov, but as a proven GT performer,I think he can make the top 3.
    Also can anybody come out of the pack and make a challenge?
    PTP winner 2015.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'll be looking out to see how Anton does after his Vuelta disappointment. Was his climbing form last year a one-off or can he be considered a consistent GT threat? He's climbed well on the odd day before, but before his crash was the first time he'd really threatened a big performance.

I can see Scarponi being up there in the top 3.

Fabio Duarte for a stage win in the mountains.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Scarponi has arguably been strongest overall this season. Will he finally crack or run out of form?

If Anton is climbing like he was in the Vuelta then he is surely top 3/4 material. He was far superior to Nibali at least. The TT miles might edge him out though.

The really interesting one for me is what the trio of Sella, Serpa and Rujano will (or won't) do. If they work well together in the mountains they could blow the race apart, maybe forcing one of the true contenders to crack. I don't think they'll do better than top 5, any of them. But no podium.

I think Kreuziger could prove a real disappointment and miss out on top 10. Maybe Kiserlovski could finish higher if he's over his P-N crash. Hmmmm.

The final TT is a big'un. Could be a nail biter with Contador, Menchov and Nibs around. Hopefully Contador doesn't run away with it!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    After the 14kms of 10% Monte Crostis climb and before the Monte Zoncolan, the riders have this to look forward too....................
    bettiniphoto_0079481_1_full_600.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Will spectators be allowed along the roadside?
  • afx237vi

Only if they bring their own abseiling gear.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    afx237vi wrote:

Only if they bring their own abseiling gear.

I know which side of the road I'd stand on!
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    wow, thats some road. Hope its not slippery when they ride that
  • afx237vi
    You can only hope the photographer has one leg longer than the other and that's not the actual slope of the road. If so, we might never see Menchov again.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Blimey.

Who was the Barloworld rider that rode off the edge of a mountain in The Tour a couple of years ago?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    John-Lee Augustyn
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    andyp wrote:
    John-Lee Augustyn

Ahh yes, thanks!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    afx237vi wrote:
    You can only hope the photographer has one leg longer than the other and that's not the actual slope of the road. If so, we might never see Menchov again.
    Don't worry, they're putting in a safety net to catch him.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Will they go at usual breakneck pace along there or like the rest of us will they crap their pants and slow down?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The transitional stages will create some time gaps. Maybe not decisive ones like will be created on Monte Zoncolan but someone will be caught out, maybe Menchov.

I expect Rujano to do well, probably on the Finestre stage, but he'll have a job making the top 10
  • blazing_saddles
    Two ridiculously steep, back-to-back climbs, that crazy descent and the Finestre dirt.
    Fortunately, the Tour doesn't need such publicity stunts, given their.........................er...................publicity caravan. :P
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Really looking forward to it. Will be the best again I hope. Very pleased to see Contador tackling this beauty rather than the less romantic Tour.

I think Contador said there was something like 6000 ft of climbing on the Queen stage when he recce'd it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    GIRO2011poster10a.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    That descent looks ridiculous. Wouldn't surprise me to see the lead group call a truce on the descent and just get down it safely given the Zoncolan is still to come.
  • frenchfighter
    Overall Winner

Alberto Contador - $1.65
    Vincenzo Nibali - $6
    Michele Scarponi - $6
    Denis Menchov - $11
    Joaquin Rodriguez - $15
    Igor Anton - $15
    Roman Kreuziger - $26
    Domenico Pozzovivo - $41
    Jose Rujano - $51
    Tiago Machado - $51
    Emanuelle Sella - $67
    Danilo Di Luca - $67
    Carlos Sastre - $101
    David Arroyo - $101
    Giovanni Visconti - $126
    Marzio Bruseghin - $126
    Jose Serpa - $151
    Juan Jose Cobo - $151
    Paolo Tiralongo - $151
    Stefano Garzelli - $151
    Thomas Lovkvist - $201
    Marco Pinotti - $201
    John Gadret - $201
    Giampaolo Caruso - $251
    Yaroslav Popovych - $251
    Christope Le Mevel - $251
    Sylvester Szmyd - $301
    David Blanco - $301
    Daniel Moreno - $301
    Francesco Masciarelli - $501
    Steven Krijswijk - $501
    Jan Bakelandts - $501
    Oliver Zaugg - $501
    Branislau Samoilau - $501
    Morris Possoni - $501
    Matteo Carrara - $501
    Lars-Petter Nordhaug - $501
    Daniel Navarro - $501
    Jesus Hernandez - $501
    Evgeni Petrov - $501
    Dario Cataldo - $501
    Frederik Kessiakoff - $501
    Cyril Dessel - $501
    Rinaldo Nocentini - $501
    Alessandro Ballan - $501
    Kanstantsin Siutsou - $501
    Carlos Ochoa - $501
    Kevin Seeldraeyers - $501
    Jackson Rodriguez - $501

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=18612
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Really looking forward to it. Will be the best again I hope. Very pleased to see Contador tackling this beauty rather than the less romantic Tour.

I think Contador said there was something like 6000 ft of climbing on the Queen stage when he recce'd it.

The stage he was talking about to Gardeccia/Val Fassa is 6500 metres (not feet)! And I'm going to be there in person at the end of the stage. Can't bl00dy wait, looks like it's going to be a brutal race.
  • frenchfighter
    Comparing 2011 to previous years... 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
    Flat Stages 4 7 6 6 8 6 ?
    Medium Mountain Stages 6 5 6 7 5 4 ?
    Mountain Stages 8 5 5 4 5 4 5
    # of Categorized Climbs (Cat 2, 1 and HC) 21 24 23 23 22 20 24
    Mountaintop Finishes 8 6 6 5 4 4 4
    Individual Time Trialing 45k 36k 77k 63k 65k 56k 80k
    Team Time Trialing 21.5k 32.5k 20.5k 28.5k 25.6k 38.0k 0
    Overall Distance 3525k 3418k 3396k 3424k 3442k 3526k 3498k
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stage 20 is 242km!! Finishing with a summit finish on Sestriere!!

In the last 5 days there are 3 mountain stages (all over 200km) and an individual TT. Recovery is going to be a major factor to be at the front end with that at the end of all the previous difficulties.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Quotes from the famous strade bianche stage:

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... d-men.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    preview-gardeccia.jpg
    preview-crostis.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    Don't think those updated Steephill stats are right.
    According to the official guide, there are 25 (26 including the mountain ITT) 2,1 and HC climbs.
    I didn't think the Giro used the HC cat in anycase.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Don't think those updated Steephill stats are right.
    According to the official guide, there are 25 (26 including the mountain ITT) 2,1 and HC climbs.
    I didn't think the Giro used the HC cat in anycase.

Also, the Grand Tour limit for distance is 3500km and this Giro comes up 4k short at 2496.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Got a feeling this year's giro is going to disrupt the old 'cycling/life balance' a little. Have pefected the art of appearing to listen while thinking about cycling but not sure I can be so convincing with my eyes glued to the tv!

And what happens when the tour of california begins?! P45 and return to single life?

Anyway, the parcours should guarantee an exciting race in many ways, but I do have a sneaky feeling that contador will win pretty easily. Reckon scarponi won't peak as well as bertie, nibali will lose on a key climb or two and menchov won't cut it either. I'll go for:

Contador
    Scarponi
    Menchov
    Nibali