Fighting off thigh cramp

unixnerd
unixnerd Posts: 2,864
My cycling has been going pretty well so far this year, really on top of my game and fitter than I've ever been. Only prob is that after a while I get the first warning of cramp in my left thigh and have to back off a bit, happens on the road bike and tourer so may not be bike position.

I'm 43, yesterday I did Aviemore to Tomatin and back which is 35 miles and twice over Slochd summit - averaged over 20mph. I remember when I used to struggle to get up there on the granny gear.

I've been doing a lot of pretty big hills and putting in a lot of effort all the time. But I tend to cycle one day and rest the next. After about 20-25 miles is when it tends to strike. Then if I feel it creeping in I have to ease off a bit. Is it just a case of MTFU and train more or is this normal? I've never had this before, maybe I'm trying too hard.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Comments

• slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Maybe your in too low a gear....try spinning a higher gear.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You may be right, I have a constant battle with myself to maintain a decent cadence. I generally go along about 70-75 but it can fall to 65 on hills. I really struggle to hold a cadence above 80-85 even downhill.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    cramp is one of those things which nobody can be completely sure of it's causes and how to prevent it.

However usually due to either dehydration, lack of salts and or muscles doing more than they are used to. You can plan for the first two but will only improve with the third one when the muscles get used to it.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells