Trail etiquette?

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Sounds like the OP lost a game of chicken. Man Up next time- maybe even scream a little?

Screaming is manning up? must remember that next time. Thanks for the tip :)
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    In my opinion the person climbing should give way to the person coming downhill.

not sure about that tbh

There are rules for all paths and towpaths which state that you should cycle on the left and overtake on the right, not many people do this sadly, many ride on the right :roll:

Given this, the rules of the road ie car mean you should ALLWAYS give way to the person coming up the hill as they have harder time to stop and position car, hill start no thanks on a 1/3 :shock:

So take all this into account if you coming downhill id give way to those coming up as it harder for them to move over and stop than you, unless you cant control your bike that is?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • masterdooh
    masterdooh Posts: 109
    Must agree with most people on here.

If your coming down you should give way. I also think that if you both have time to see each other most normal people will move over to make room if possible.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Sounds like the OP lost a game of chicken. Man Up next time- maybe even scream a little?

Screaming is manning up? must remember that next time. Thanks for the tip :)
    Just make sure it's more war cry than girly scream.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    screaming? perhaps just a polite ding on your bell.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Sod that,

if your coming down and your stopped it kinda spoils ya run, while climbing i could not give a monkies if i'm stopped :s this in my opinion for bike trails, if it said little old lady and so on I'd give the other users the way.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sod that,

if your coming down and your stopped it kinda spoils ya run, while climbing i could not give a monkies if i'm stopped :s this in my opinion for bike trails, if it said little old lady and so on I'd give the other users the way.
    Except if you could read he was talking about a lane, not a trail. In other words a public road.
    Do you drive an Audi?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I think everyone is missing the key point here. Did Arthur stop for a pint at the pub and was it any good?
  • cooldad
    Eranu wrote:
    I think everyone is missing the key point here. Did Arthur stop for a pint at the pub and was it any good?
    The voice of reason.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Eranu wrote:

yes,it was nice but not cheap. Unfortunately we were too late for food. Even so it was a bit deserted, we were the last two there and the staff were putting down the umbrellas all around us. We headed back through Stoughton past the Hare and Hounds which was still packed.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    There are rules for all paths and towpaths which state that you should cycle on the left and overtake on the right, not many people do this sadly, many ride on the right :roll:

While this may be true on towpaths, I always climb on the smoothest line (naturally) as long as I can see ahead. If I see someone coming down I move to the left. However when approaching corners I always switch to the inside - so anyone descending at speed appearing suddenly and out of control can steer wide of me.

When I'm descending and meet someone coming up I always slow right down to pass - a fair few of the people I meet coming up have their heads down, are being bounced about by the uneven trail, or a just too knackered to be thinking straight :)
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bartimaeus
    Eranu wrote:

yes,it was nice but not cheap. Unfortunately we were too late for food. Even so it was a bit deserted, we were the last two there and the staff were putting down the umbrellas all around us. We headed back through Stoughton past the Hare and Hounds which was still packed.

What's your bike then, Arthur? I'm often in that area - particularly now the climb up the hill from Stoughton past the memorial is a featrure of most of my KV rides. If I see you I'll buy you a pint. Still haven't met up with Eranu yet... must fix that!
  • Eranu
    I used to love that Pub in my youth, they used to do a great game pie and a good pint of bishops tipple.

Will be a while before we meet Bartimaeus, stacked the bike 3 weeks ago on the 'cough' singletrack from the top of harting down. Was going too fast on the new bike, ran out of skill and landed all wrong on my ankle. Going to be a few more weeks yet before I am riding anything 'technical' as it's still not quite right. I've been riding but only stuff like Stanstead/Lady Holt etc as I can't stay out of the saddle for long without the ankle complaining.
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    We are low on the totem pole apparently. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPRwOGxSKU
  • Thewaylander
    cooldad wrote:
    Sod that,

Except if you could read he was talking about a lane, not a trail. In other words a public road.
    Do you drive an Audi?

Why do yo u own one and a BMW too?

And the title states Trail :) the man can't make up his mind. and anything else other than a trail here from a bike point of veiw is relatively mute as there will probably be enough space to pass comforbly :s
  • bartimaeus
    I believe it was this track - it gets a bit rougher further up, but basically it's an unmetalled lane.
  • Thewaylander
    Would say pointless question really looking at the width,

I mean who is gonna be hammering that either way? and it's plenty wide :s
  • Eranu
    I mean who is gonna be hammering that either way?

Thats as good as it gets here in the south ;)
  • Thewaylander
    time to move.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Eranu wrote:
    I mean who is gonna be hammering that either way?

Thats as good as it gets here in the south ;)

Well that's not true. Your mistake was heading along the coast rather than inland.
  • Eranu
    Well that's not true. Your mistake was heading along the coast rather than inland.

I was jesting.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476

Also apparently when descending you might going anywhere from 10 to 20mph. Didnt realise there was a 20mph speed limit on descents, oops :P
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

Oh my god... What a complete and utter muppet.

Watched a few of the videos and they don't get any better. There is one on "how to accelerate", he says to keep your "butt" firmly on the seat to stop you "spinning out" and then proceeds to stand... :?

Re the OP, I think a lot of people have missed the point that this lane was wide enough that there shouldn't have been a problem. The guy who was climbing should just have moved over slightly and not have been a tosser (although I do agree that descenders should give way to climbers where there isn't as much room).
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    edited May 2011
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    Eranu wrote:

What's your bike then, Arthur? I'm often in that area - particularly now the climb up the hill from Stoughton past the memorial is a featrure of most of my KV rides. If I see you I'll buy you a pint. Still haven't met up with Eranu yet... must fix that!

Nothing exotic - Rockhopper

DSC01782-1.jpg

Live in Chichester and the ride we were on was up Centurion way to West Dean then up to SDW. along to Hooks Way, Stoughton and back over KV then roads back home. I'll take you up on your offer!! (and buy you one back of course)

Cheers
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I believe it was this track - it gets a bit rougher further up, but basically it's an unmetalled lane.

yes that's the one!
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    PaulBox wrote:

Oh my god... What a complete and utter muppet.

Watched a few of the videos and they don't get any better. There is one on "how to accelerate", he says to keep your "butt" firmly on the seat to stop you "spinning out" and then proceeds to stand... :?

Re the OP, I think a lot of people have missed the point that this lane was wide enough that there shouldn't have been a problem. The guy who was climbing should just have moved over slightly and not have been a tosser (although I do agree that descenders should give way to climbers where there isn't as much room).

I learnt to mountain bike by simply watching his videos, then doing the opposite. :P
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I learnt to mountain bike by simply watching his videos, then doing the opposite. :P
    :lol:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    cooldad wrote:
    I would expect someone coming down a hill to give way to me if I'm climbing. (On a road/track, not a trail).

Not sure about this. Slowing down or stopping on a good descent can spoil the whole thing. Quite often I ride back up and go again if a good fast descent is interupted. I know I'd get out of the way if I saw someone coming downill.

Walkers in my area are generally very considerate, those that aren't are usually women engaged in vigorous conversation (both at the same time) about "her in the post office" or shoes. Sorry ladies but I wouldn't mention it if it were not true.
  • cooldad
    fielonator wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I would expect someone coming down a hill to give way to me if I'm climbing. (On a road/track, not a trail).

Not sure about this. Slowing down or stopping on a good descent can spoil the whole thing. Quite often I ride back up and go again if a good fast descent is interupted. I know I'd get out of the way if I saw someone coming downill.

Walkers in my area are generally very considerate, those that aren't are usually women engaged in vigorous conversation (both at the same time) about "her in the post office" or shoes. Sorry ladies but I wouldn't mention it if it were not true.
    Try reading the whole topic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    For walkers, descenders give way to climbers. For mountain bikes, you're generally climbing so you can descend later so the climbers should give way to avoid spoiling the descent. IMO of course but it just seems blooming obvious. What's the worst that happens to the climber, they get a bit of a rest? O noe!
    Uncompromising extremist