Trail etiquette?

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited May 2011 in MTB general
is there such a thing? I don't mean shutting farmers gates or not leaving litter, more the unspoken stuff.
Case in point on Sunday, I was descending off the South Downs way down a wide chalky lane (wide enough for farm vehicles and leads to the Hooks Way pub if you know the area) the route is used by walkers as well as bikers. I was going a reasonable rate and up ahead of me I could see two mtb riders climbing up the slope, the lead rider was bang in the middle of the track on a smooth section.
In the reverse role with me climbing and someone coming towards me, I would move over to (generally to the left) allow them to enjoy their descent but as I approached this rider I could see he wasn't intending on moving, we had made eye contact in fact he was staring at me (it seemed almost a challenge but I'm probably reading too much into it) and I ended up passing him quite closely (probably a couple of feet clearance), his companion (female) moved over so we passed with loads of room.
I wondered if I had misread the situation but when we stopped my riding companion said ' what was up with that ******?' so he got the same message I did.
When passing walkers in the same situation if it's a group (more than two) or has kids, dogs etc. I slow down in preparation to stop when one of them steps out in the way (as they always do), if it's a couple I check out to see if they have clocked me, if the both stand aside or stop and are looking towards me I normally take this as ok to continue at full belt.
What's you're take on this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would expect someone coming down a hill to give way to me if I'm climbing. (On a road/track, not a trail).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    even if there's no need to 'give way' just move over a bit?
  • Harder to move out the way when climbing isn't it? You'd kind of lose your rhythm. The person coming down is the one going fast, so I'd kind of expect them to slow down out of politeness... well that's what I do anyway - On the other hand, I'd probably have moved over if I was going up too, again as a politeness (weakness) thing :D

Are you sure the pair of you weren't just weren't having an "alpha" moment :wink:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Basically get out of my way.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    even if there's no need to 'give way' just move over a bit?

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I'd give way or slow down to someone climbing, just because of the effort involved in starting mid climb.
    He possibly hung out in the centre to be awkward because he thought you were approaching a little too fast/reluctant to give way.

Either way, no harm done.
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    I don't see myself as having any right of way over anybody else whatsoever unless I own the land and build my own private track. :wink:
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Get up early, I only find deer on the trail :D

To be honest its all a bit of give and take. However when I'm tired I don't expect I'd see you coming down a hill towards me as I'd be blowing out my ass.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    We're all in it together at the end of the day, bit of give and take, when I'm on the bike I'm generally quite curteous (shame I can't say the same for my driving) in that situation I'll always move aside to give the other rider some space, but expect them to acknowledge it too, otherwise I'll assume they're a cunt and mumble under my breath for a little while before getting distracted by something else :roll:

But it's the same sort of thing to you wanting to overtake someone out on the singletrack, should you slow down and follow at their pace so as not to interupt their riding or should you force your way past? At the same time should they have to pull over for you immediately or should they just carry and pretend you're not there?

At the end of the day the best solution is the middle ground for both riders.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    Harder to move out the way when climbing isn't it? You'd kind of lose your rhythm. The person coming down is the one going fast, so I'd kind of expect them to slow down out of politeness... well that's what I do anyway - On the other hand, I'd probably have moved over if I was going up too, again as a politeness (weakness) thing :D

Are you sure the pair of you weren't just weren't having an "alpha" moment :wink:

on reflection it probably was that as I had moved over to the left as far as I could without riding up the bank!
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i think you did the right thing in the long run.

there isnt a lot you can do and it is one of thse things on natural trails, neither of you hit each other as you passed so alls well that ends well,

there is no specific rules and no one can really make you move at all but the smart thing is to have a bit of courtesy.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    From the OP I'm assuming he was with his missus, maybe he thought you were coming down to fast and stayed where he was to cause you to slow. Alpha moment, as mentioned before, and all that.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Oldskool_Paul
    Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
    Just take each case on it's own merit. There's some rude people about but no point getting Hung up on it.

I always feel a bit naughty a trail centres when you get a group hanging about at the start of a section. Should you just ride past or should you wait behind them? I tend to just ride past, haven't got all day to hang around waiting. Sometimes you get 'the look' sometimes you don't. I usually say hello... I don't think there's specific 'trail etiquette' just good manners.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There are some places around Cannock where the red/blue trails are shared with pedestrians and basically it's a free-for-all.

Worst thing is at night when you have the whole width of the f*cking trail to choose from and the muppets coming the other way insist on riding right in the middle.
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    i always try and stick top the left if on the trail, as you would a car on the road (in this country granted), but as the paths are open for all a lot of the time find that isnt so easy as just staying one side,
    have had a couple of moments similar to OP where some peeps seem un able to move from where they are, even if it means you have to Stop and tuck in tight to let them past, but rather than get annoyed i just Fire out The Cheeriest Hello imaginable! :D Especially moreso if they look like they arnt going to Speak!! :twisted:
    always say hello to wallkers as you never know if your paths may cross again later when your lying on the floor in a heap! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Fit Ben Hur racing chariot style blades to your bike and chop the cheeky swines legs off. After all he was riding on YOUR trail.

Theres no rules but generally its a courtesy to give way to someone riding up the hill.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    I don't know about the uk but in here we have simple unwritten rule for these cases.

On the trails:

- If you're climbing you have right of way because it's a lot more difficult to restart in a middle of a climb than it is in the middle of a descent.

Also when I'm with my gf I tend to do exactly what that other guy did. Since she's less skilled, I ride in front and make sure she has enough room to pass without any inconsiderate riders crashing into her or make her fall.

So in my books, you were the selfish and inconsiderate rider.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Oddly enough I was pondering the same question yesterday, roughly in the same area as the OP - on the SDW between Harting and Cocking. There are alot of loose flint and chalky ascents theres and its important to keep momentum on a decent line to get up.

Its alot easier to slow up on a descent than it is to speed up on an ascent!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    bentes wrote:
    I don't know about the uk but in here we have simple unwritten rule for these cases.

On the trails:

- If you're climbing you have right of way because it's a lot more difficult to restart in a middle of a climb than it is in the middle of a descent.

Also when I'm with my gf I tend to do exactly what that other guy did. Since she's less skilled, I ride in front and make sure she has enough room to pass without any inconsiderate riders crashing into her or make her fall.

So in my books, you were the selfish and inconsiderate rider.

Ouch! :)
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    In my opinion the person climbing should give way to the person coming downhill.

Sure both parties should give each other as much space as possible and the person decending should slow down but if the person climbing dosent give way the decender may not be able to stop due to speed and terrain and they are at a lot more risk of injury if you get in the way. Where as if your climbing all its gunna do is loose your stride and you may have to get off and push, its not as if your gunna hurt yourself.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cooldad
    In my opinion the person climbing should give way to the person coming downhill.

Sure both parties should give each other as much space as possible and the person decending should slow down but if the person climbing dosent give way the decender may not be able to stop due to speed and terrain and they are at a lot more risk of injury if you get in the way. Where as if your climbing all its gunna do is loose your stride and you may have to get off and push, its not as if your gunna hurt yourself.

Nope the person coming down should be in control. Could be a kid, dog, little old lady on the road. (Note OP was talking about a lane, not a bit of singletrack).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope the person coming down should be in control. Could be a kid, dog, little old lady on the road. (Note OP was talking about a lane, not a bit of singletrack).

We're supposed to be in control ???? DAMN !!!
  • cooldad
    weeksy59 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

We're supposed to be in control ???? DAMN !!!

Supposed being the operative word.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I was always taught driving that those struggling to get uphill always have right off way, just because it's so hard for them to maintain momentum. Common sense really. I use the same rules off road cycling.
    "Coming through..."
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Sounds like the OP lost a game of chicken. Man Up next time- maybe even scream a little?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope the person coming down should be in control. Could be a kid, dog, little old lady on the road.

If your totally in control you aint going fast enough.

Note: OP was talking about a lane not a road with little old ladys on it ;-)

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cooldad
    Plenty of little old ladies in lanes, that's where they hang out. And evil horses.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • reyrol
    reyrol Posts: 38
    I had a similar experience while puffing up the link track between Lee & Cragg quarries, it being about 6ft wide & and loose hardcore. A rider was tearing down towards me,and as there are
    jump rocks placed either side of the track at intervals it's not easy to decide left or right, however the rider stopped and asked why i was riding up the down trail. Upon learning that it was a link path and not part of the trail he remarked that it could be tricky on a misty day.Has anyone else had a simmilar experience on this bit of track ? .
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Personally I would have slowed right down, to create time and space, and I think I would have done what he did. Its the motorcyclist in me, when cars don't slow down when approaching you on a narrow road I always hold my line to get them to slow, being ready to move over. But the moment he moved over you would had let off the brakes and carried on. So he got the desired result - get you to slow.

but at the end of the day, you can either:
    1) slow down and avoid an accident, but spoil your fun
    2) not slow down and get sued for personal injury or worse.

lots of ole ladies and loose dogs where I ride too, you can't really take the risk of not being able to stop in the distance you can see is clear.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    reyrol wrote:
    I had a similar experience while puffing up the link track between Lee & Cragg quarries, it being about 6ft wide & and loose hardcore. A rider was tearing down towards me,and as there are
    jump rocks placed either side of the track at intervals it's not easy to decide left or right, however the rider stopped and asked why i was riding up the down trail. Upon learning that it was a link path and not part of the trail he remarked that it could be tricky on a misty day.Has anyone else had a simmilar experience on this bit of track ? .

I've been twice and that place is a law unto itself. I don't think anyone knows the intended direction of travel.

I stopped on a number of occasions to check we were still going the right way but most riders we spoke to said It doesn't matter just make your own route up!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I agree about Lee Quarry we were talking about the very same thing last time we were up there. Someones going to end up on a slab or in hospital because of a collision up there and if solicitors get involved watch the council crack down and close anything that remotely looks like fun.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap