Can't sleep

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I can't sleep

A combination of hayfever and too much sugar (damn Kellogs) I think.

Just saying... What do you do when you can't sleep?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• loveaduck
    loveaduck Posts: 48
    Eat cake and drink coffee :D
    "I love you less than cake, but way more than Marmite!"
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Wake up very, very tired.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • watch the clock, worrying about the amount of sleep im getting then fall asleep about ten minutes before the alarm is due to go off then wake up absolutely knackered.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    tune in to those special channels on late at night :roll:
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hot bath...large brandy (sometimes it takes 2 :wink: ) sorted.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,389
    Not so much of a problem since the littl'un arrived, but I still get the odd night of staring at the ceiling. I mainly read: nothing taxing, or exciting, in fact the more mindless - month-old TV reviews - the better. Try to just accept that the worst that will happen is that you'll be tired the next day, which isn't really that bad. Lying there worrying about it is not going to help. If it's a recurring problem then, aside from trying some other hayfever remedies, try and cut out anything sugary or with caffeine after about 4pm.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    How irritating is it to read this thread knowing that the OP is now prob tucked up in bed while I'm sitting in work on a beauty of a day?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited November 2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    When I can't sleep I play computer games. Or... hang on... I don't sleep much at all because I'm too busy playing computer games.

Yeah.

The second one.

In plus sides, all my insomnia is self-induced.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sex, simple.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sex: Renovated so out of commission...

Computer games: tried that played so much I began feeling a little sick... and I've been known to play 12hr stints.

One of those special channels: Cost a fiver and there's better stuff on t'internet, that is also unhindered by silly censors that stop prevent showing the 'ins and outs'
    How irritating is it to read this thread knowing that the OP is now prob tucked up in bed while I'm sitting in work on a beauty of a day?

Very much the case, I had 2 cups of tea (strong) and did all of the above (by myself). Finally got some sleep around 7-9am it was that concious kinda sleep that doesn't really count.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I stay up. Worst thing to do is lie in bed awake whether reading or watching the clock or fretting about not being asleep as you begin to associate bed with awake and it becomes even harder to get to sleep.

Get up, go downstairs, drink water if you need a drink and chill, ideally don't do anything to get your brain firing like computer games or TV or even books. Figure out if its just an irregular one or two nights or if it is a longer running or regularly occurring problem. If regular then keep a diary: what food and drink & when, what activities prior to bed, work/other stresses going on, what exercise & when. Did you go to sleep and wake up or simply not get sleepy enough to drop off, were you dozing at 7pm and wide awake at 10.30pm etc. It'll help adjust your evenings towards sleeping and give you an idea of how much/little you can or should do when you're in a wakeful phase.

My username is a giveaway for my sleeping patterns.
  • Wot Simon says,

Failing that I've got a Pure Avanti DAB/Internet radio thingy by my bedside. Together with some decent closed hesdphones (so as not to disturb mrs wbw) I've got a world of broadcasts to listen to. Occasionally I'll listen to a documentary or play - just like being read a bedtime story.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    I remember seeing a programme (EDIT: The Brain - A Secret History, BBC4) on insomnia. Featured was a chap with a really serious case - starting to damage his relationship with the rest of his family - who had tried everything with no success. The eventual 'cure' was to keep him awake for as long as possible until he was completely exhausted and could not stay awake any longer. He then slept for several hours after which he seemed to have 'reset' his sleep patterns. It seemed to have a more or less permanent effect.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    When I was younger, I would think about my pension provision. Worked like a dream.

Now I am drawing said pension I stay awake trying to work out how it all went so wrong :(
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thanks to my service in the army I'm about to sleep pretty much anytime anywhere which really annoys mrs itboffin :lol:

I can also go to sleep in mins again much to the annoyance of the wife, the downside being I usually only sleep for 5 maybe 6 hrs if i'm really tired.

God help anyone who wakes me in the night :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Read a decidedly average book.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I often get sleepless nights due to Jakes snoring (he's a man who could sleep in a ditch during a war, he sleeps that soundly!), aside from trying to suffocate him in his sleep, (which I'm told could involve lengthy prison sentences!) I usually find a bit of relaxing music on the iPod does the trick, a bit of classical does the job.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    NGale wrote:
    I often get sleepless nights due to Jakes snoring (he's a man who could sleep in a ditch during a war, he sleeps that soundly!), aside from trying to suffocate him in his sleep, (which I'm told could involve lengthy prison sentences!) I usually find a bit of relaxing music on the iPod does the trick, a bit of classical does the job.

Funny that i'm told I snore a fair bit, my fellow Alps trippers might be able to confirm :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    The best bike ride I've every had was one night I couldn;t sleep, many year ago. Tossed and turned for a couple of hours until it was starting to get light (it must have been mid summer) and I headed out for a ride to the hills around Belfast.

Did about 40 miles while the rest of the city slept
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I never have any trouble sleeping as I have learnt how to chill out before bed, i.e. watch a bit of telly, then read a bit of a book. By the time I've reached 2 pages, I am usually asleep.

The books I read must be rubbish! :lol:
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Funny that i'm told I snore a fair bit, my fellow Alps trippers might be able to confirm :roll:

His snoring is horrible, all too often I find myself having to sleep in the spare room just to get a night sleep :cry:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Get up, have a cup of tea and watch some earnest-but-dull TV for a while - BBC4 is v good for this at 2 in the morning. After half an hour so you're so bored & cold that you'll drop off in minutes when you go back to bed.

Plan B is to go shopping at the nearest 24h Tesco or Asda. May as well make good use of the awake time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I never sleep well on Sunday night, or, when it's a bank holiday, Monday night.

Always terrible sleep.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Insomnia is easily solved.
    Jump in the car and go for a spin on the motorway. Half an hour on a quiet motorway with the windows wound up, the heater on and some mellow music playing should get you to the land of nod pretty sharpish. If you are still awake after that, keep driving until you do fall asleep.
    Simples!

Very stupid advice. DO NOT HEED IT!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    [quote="itboffin"

Funny that i'm told I snore a fair bit, my fellow Alps trippers might be able to confirm :roll:[/quote]

NEVER AGAIN.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry DDD you've got me rather concerned;

"Sex: Renovated so out of commission... "

You've just had your knob re-plastered?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    SimonAH wrote:

I wondered about that. Maybe he's having an extension built?

• rjsterry
    SimonAH wrote:

:lol: :roll: I don't think he's referring to himself...

Come on SimonAH, do keep up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EKE_38BPM
    Mrs DDD getting a bit messy down below and had a labiaplasty?