Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Rockrider 8.1: 2010 or 2011

jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have ordered a 2010 model that I should pick up on Wednesday. I am paying £450 as it is a 2010 model. But after reading a few different posts I am wondering if I should go instead for the 2011 model. As far as I can see the main difference are:
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 for 2010, Avid Exilir 3 for 2011
Fork Tora 100mm 302 coil for 2010, Rock Shox Recon 100mm for 2011

Shall I go ahead with the 2010 and save the £50 to spend on some accesories, or is the 2011 better equiped and worth spending that extra £50. Bearing in mind that I am new to MTB. Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Posts

  • getonyourbikegetonyourbike Posts: 2,804
    I'd go for the 2011 model straight away. The forks is better and has got poploc(both have tbf). Also, elixirs are better than juicys and there aren't as many problems with them either. If it was me, I'd spend the extra without a doubt.
  • pikerpiker Posts: 353
    I'd go for the 2011 model straight away. The forks is better and has got poploc(both have tbf). Also, elixirs are better than juicys and there aren't as many problems with them either. If it was me, I'd spend the extra without a doubt.

    +1, I would regret not getting the better spec,also well worth the extra £50 in my opinion.
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    piker wrote:
    I'd go for the 2011 model straight away. The forks is better and has got poploc(both have tbf). Also, elixirs are better than juicys and there aren't as many problems with them either. If it was me, I'd spend the extra without a doubt.

    +1, I would regret not getting the better spec,also well worth the extra £50 in my opinion.

    Point taken on board, the only thing is I don't know when they will have them on sale as I think they are trying to get rid of the 2010 model and I am not sure I don't want to wait too long for it :lol:
    I will give them a ring and see what is the waiting time for the 2011, thanks guys.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • stardudestardude Posts: 255
    there is a guy on here that works for decathlon i think. he knows about all the new bikes and when they are for sale, cant remember his name though >_<
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    stardude wrote:
    there is a guy on here that works for decathlon i think. he knows about all the new bikes and when they are for sale, cant remember his name though >_<

    Just finished speaking with Decathlon, and they were able to order one for next week. Thanks guys. Spent an extra £50 but if it is worth it on the long run why not. Now let's make sure that my wife don't know about it...
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    Just ordered myself a 2011 8.1 :D I had originally narrowed my choice down to Trek4900 or Talon2, but after reading this thread I just couldn't turn this bike down, especially saving myself £200.00 :D . Measured myself on the 2010 version and gone for a medium, should get it in a week, and didn't even have to pay a deposit. I just hope I've done the right thing :roll: .
    Cheers
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    neilrosser wrote:
    Just ordered myself a 2011 8.1 :D I had originally narrowed my choice down to Trek4900 or Talon2, but after reading this thread I just couldn't turn this bike down, especially saving myself £200.00 :D . Measured myself on the 2010 version and gone for a medium, should get it in a week, and didn't even have to pay a deposit. I just hope I've done the right thing :roll: .
    Cheers
    Neil

    Hi Neil, mine should be here on Wednesday, fingers crossed, I can't wait. I have chosen a medium also, I am 5.9" (1.75cm), the large had my arms slightly stretched. How tall are you to have picked a medium?

    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • getonyourbikegetonyourbike Posts: 2,804
    I'd say a medium would be about right for someone 5ft 9
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    jeannot18 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:
    Just ordered myself a 2011 8.1 :D I had originally narrowed my choice down to Trek4900 or Talon2, but after reading this thread I just couldn't turn this bike down, especially saving myself £200.00 :D . Measured myself on the 2010 version and gone for a medium, should get it in a week, and didn't even have to pay a deposit. I just hope I've done the right thing :roll: .
    Cheers
    Neil

    Hi Neil, mine should be here on Wednesday, fingers crossed, I can't wait. I have chosen a medium also, I am 5.9" (1.75cm), the large had my arms slightly stretched. How tall are you to have picked a medium?

    JC

    Same as you mate 5'9" :D
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    neilrosser wrote:

    Same as you mate 5'9" :D
    Neil

    Cheers
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    JC,
    Did the bike arrive on Wednesday?
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • paulvetpaulvet Posts: 5
    Hi

    I've just been having a look at these. Can't make up my mind on size. I'm 6'1.5" the large feels a little short but the XL feels little large. Is it better to ride slightly small or slightly large? Or would I be better looking at a different bike. Would be a shame as its a cracking bike for the cash.

    Cheers

    Paul
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    neilrosser wrote:
    JC,
    Did the bike arrive on Wednesday?
    Neil

    Hi Neil, no I went to get it on Thursday afternoon. Cracking bike (not that I have anything else to compare it, only my very cheap Claud Buttler). I have fitted some MG1 pedals and took it for a spin down my road and it feels GREAT. I should be able to take it for a proper spin on Monday morning. Did you get yours?

    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Gutted. The 8.1 in 2011 model greatly interested me. But there is nothing on the net. I've looked everywhere. Strange :(
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Gutted. The 8.1 in 2011 model greatly interested me. But there is nothing on the net. I've looked everywhere. Strange :(
    http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/8-1-2011-170473852/

    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    jeannot18 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:
    JC,
    Did the bike arrive on Wednesday?
    Neil

    Hi Neil, no I went to get it on Thursday afternoon. Cracking bike (not that I have anything else to compare it, only my very cheap Claud Buttler). I have fitted some MG1 pedals and took it for a spin down my road and it feels GREAT. I should be able to take it for a proper spin on Monday morning. Did you get yours?

    JC

    Expecting a phone call from them tomorrow to tell me it's in hopefully, get some pictures up of your bike.
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    neilrosser wrote:

    Are you keeping those pedals? Your removed everything like me (lights, reflector) :D I have kept the back light for now. I am going out tomorrow morning for a ride, can't wait...
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    The Recon Silver TK is no better than the Tora 302. In fact the latter is stiffer, and most probably can be extended to 130mm.
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    jeannot18 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:

    Are you keeping those pedals? Your removed everything like me (lights, reflector) :D I have kept the back light for now. I am going out tomorrow morning for a ride, can't wait...
    JC

    Probably going to keep them for now and see how I get on with them. Removed the lights etc as I don't think they would've withstood too much abuse. What do you think of the tyres?, I can't see them lasting too long.
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    supersonic wrote:
    The Recon Silver TK is no better than the Tora 302. In fact the latter is stiffer, and most probably can be extended to 130mm.

    Your probably a lot more experienced than me in this deparment. But for a first mb it's a bargain. If it only lasts 12 months then it would've been worth it and I will def either upgrade or go for another make altogether.
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    neilrosser wrote:
    jeannot18 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:

    Are you keeping those pedals? Your removed everything like me (lights, reflector) :D I have kept the back light for now. I am going out tomorrow morning for a ride, can't wait...
    JC

    Probably going to keep them for now and see how I get on with them. Removed the lights etc as I don't think they would've withstood too much abuse. What do you think of the tyres?, I can't see them lasting too long.
    Neil

    I don't know about the tyres, I am a complete beginner so it is not like I am going to go downhill at 50 miles an hour, so I guess for now they will do. I will update as I go along. I already spent a fair bit of money and the other half is not too happy about it. I wish I could go and spend a couple of grands like some people but I just can't. Enjoy yours and let me know how you get on.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • PXR5PXR5 Posts: 203
    I've had a 8.1 for a few years now and am still well happy with it.

    I would guess the pedals are the Clip in Wellgos, I recently replaced mine with some Shimados, because i found it difficult to clip back in in muddy conditions - however the Shimados are no different, so its probably my cleats or shoes.

    My 8.1 came fitted with Michelin XC dry tyres which i took an instant dislike to, I now run Maxxis tubeless on different rims - I just could not get comfy with the Michelin tyres, too high a pressure and grip seemed limited, too soft and they punctured like made - however a friend of mine swears by Michelin tyres and will not use anything else - so horses for courses i guess..

    Anyway get out and enjoy it - from an old RR 8.1 fan !!
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • jeannot18jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Thanks PRX5, first ride out today. 1:45 in Thorndon Park and well happy with the bike. The tyres don't seem to be the best but they will do for now. Brakes and fork did their job though I did not do anything challenging. The Wellgo pedals are really good too, I don't have any proper shoes yet (such as Five Ten) but the Reebok trainers i had on this morning were ok. I need to find some other routes and maybe link with other people. But so far well chuffed with the 8.1, don't regret at all spending £500 on it.

    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • neilrosserneilrosser Posts: 236
    Great comments guys, sounds like we made the right choice. Not got out on mine yet though. Will probably keep the tyres and change them when I need too, or sooner if they puncture easily.
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
Sign In or Register to comment.