THE best upgrade?

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
ok following on from the groupset question (and the fit blonde vs, the minger) new question.
youve bought a std bike and youre allowed only one upgrade, which one for performance?
have you actually done it? did it work?
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Fitting session.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Following on from the previous thread, the best answer I've read on this forum to answer your question was "A pair of tits on the handlebars" :lol:

Mine would be wheels/tyres.
  • I suggest upgrading the rider :)
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Wider tyres.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I suggest upgrading the rider :)

Yup - your bike will go a lot faster with Cancellara on it :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    Tyres.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Tyres and tubes. Most tyres that come with factory bikes are crap.

If I was to upgrade 1 groupset item it would be the chainset. Unfortunately for me I have 9 speed Sora so my options are a bit limited unless I spend more on other bits.

Tyres are pretty important, they can make the difference between making a corner on the bike or sliding across it on your face.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    saddle, if it aint right then the best fit in the world wont make the bike nice to ride.
  • GPierotti
    GPierotti Posts: 104
    Tyres, if you aint got grip and speed you are fudged
  • sirdjango
    sirdjango Posts: 123
    get a good wheelset...
    ride like the wind... with the wind... to the wind...
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Fitness, no good making any upgrade unless you are fit enough to enjoy it in the first place, (lack of) fitness can make the difference between a bike (or a component) feeling fantastic or horrible
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Fitness, no good making any upgrade unless you are fit enough to enjoy it in the first place, (lack of) fitness can make the difference between a bike (or a component) feeling fantastic or horrible

Yep, I was going to say weight (yours, not the bikes) no point saving 20g on your chainset if you're carrying stone or 2 too many.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Pedals. In the instance that it comes with good pedals, wheels for sure. I just went through all of this, bought a new 'complete' set up. I thought the wheelset was good but was tempted by a good deal on some Mavics. Unbelievable improvement.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Proper bike fit with full cleat adjustment/shims and moulded footbeds...
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Your own fitness you could have the best of everything but unless can cope with it whats the point in spending money on your bike you will not get the full benefits.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Get a cycling coach. That's the best way to 'upgrade'!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If it can be considered as one then wheels/tyres/tubes. That is assuming the bike fits.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A bell and those tassle things that go on the end of your handlebars, if you still want more a good set of tyres, brake pads and wheels.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sounds like you're trying to simply buy something and then go lots faster. Not gonna happen unless it's new, more powerful legs, lungs, and heart.
  • mattshrops
    dennisn wrote:
    Sounds like you're trying to simply buy something and then go lots faster. Not gonna happen unless it's new, more powerful legs, lungs, and heart.
    so you never upgrade anyyhing on a bike then? its only as a matter of interest that ok with you?smashing :roll:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    tyres. Go for Schwalbe ultremos . Tubes go for light weight butyls. Rolling resistance is the first thing you need to get over to create momentum on a bike.

If you've got even more money then its Wheels. Same principle
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mattshrops wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    so you never upgrade anyyhing on a bike then? its only as a matter of interest that ok with you?smashing :roll:

My answer is still the same. You posted this in the beginners section, so in order to save you spending money on things that won't help you I suggested more training. Spend
    all you want on your bike and components. Not a problem with me. I'm just saying that
    you can't buy what you're looking for. If all you had to do was buy things, hell, we would all be as fast as the Pros. You did want to know what you could buy that would make you faster, didn't you? Was that not your intent for the original post? :? :?
  • mattshrops
    dennisn wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

My answer is still the same. You posted this in the beginners section, so in order to save you spending money on things that won't help you I suggested more training. Spend
    all you want on your bike and components. Not a problem with me. I'm just saying that
    you can't buy what you're looking for. If all you had to do was buy things, hell, we would all be as fast as the Pros. You did want to know what you could buy that would make you faster, didn't you? Was that not your intent for the original post? :? :?

no. anything else to add? fascinating.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I think that as a beginner on your way to fitness etc it is valid to ask what bike upgrades will make a noticeable difference. Feeling faster keeps you keen through the tough process of building up legs and stamina.

I'd reiterate wheels as I and a few others mentioned. Tyres can also make a difference (I too use Schwalbe Ultremos). Both together make a real difference you can feel and also gives you am idea of the potential for speed and longevity you already possess.

You don't have to spend thousands but prepare to spend a couple hundred if it wheels and tyres. Don't forget about cassette compatibility if you are tempted down a complete or used route.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    In order

Tyres
    Wheels
    A fortnight in Spain in Feb to get 1000 miles in whilst everyone else is sitting inside

Best upgrade and for free is to develop your legs by riding with those faster than you
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Clipless pedals and shoes.

Of course, they could be part of the package with the bike.

So, tyres.

OEM tyres are rubbish, so get tyres with some punture protection. (There are loads of threads on what is considered the best, not getting in to that!)

Next upgrade wheels

The only way to get faster/better is to ride more, that one is free!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    mattshrops wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mattshrops wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

no. anything else to add? fascinating.

:lol: He's answered your original question as he sees it. However, I disagree. In order I would recommend:

1. Seatpost
    2. Bottle Cages
    3. Handlebars
    4. Stem
    5. Pedals
    6. Ceramic Bearings throughout
    7. Cassette - definitely worth getting the marginally lighter versions for £100 extra
    8. Bar Tape - replace with (white) electrical tape
    9. Wheel magnet
    10. Brakepads

Hope this helps.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    1. Seatpost
    2. Bottle Cages
    3. Handlebars
    4. Stem
    5. Pedals
    7. Cassette - definitely worth getting the marginally lighter versions for £100 extra
    9. Wheel magnet

None of these make you faster save your money and ride more
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    P_Tucker wrote:
    :lol: He's answered your original question as he sees it. However, I disagree. In order I would recommend:

1. Seatpost
    2. Bottle Cages
    3. Handlebars
    4. Stem
    5. Pedals
    9. Wheel magnet
    10. Brakepads

Hope this helps.

Do I detect someone's tongue in their cheek?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}