Challenge the pro's on the Olympic time trial course

GraemeB
GraemeB Posts: 22
Some of you guys are I know are aware of www.lapchallenge.co.uk - we currently do a 3 Lap Challenge league table on the site that was born out of a regular forum post from this site (Red Baron is still top!).

The site has been created to allow runners and cyclists to be able to upload their times into the league table of pre-determined courses. You can also challenge other users to a race.

In view of the pending Olympics we have just added the Mens Olympic time trial course to the site. Why not have a go and see how your times will compare to those in August 2012... Who will be top of the leader board come August next year?

The womens course will also be added in the next couple of days.

Have a look - www.lapchallenge.co.uk - it's a free to use site, just a bit of fun!

Cheers,

Graeme

Comments

• GraemeB
    I'm going to give it a go tomorrow, will let you know how I get on. No doubt the one and only time I'll be top of the league table!!!
  • GraemeB
    What a disaster!!!! Got lost 3 times and ended up doing nearly 7 miles more than we should have. We missed the turn off after Knight Reservoir (got carried away with a great tail wind) and ended up in Walton. We then had to fight back into the head wind to get back on course.

We then missed the turn off onto Burnwood Road near Hersham and messed up a little near the crossing of the A3.

Nice course, definitely not flat but horrible head wind for most of it today.

So, overall I currently have the top time in the league table with a VERY embarrassing 1hr 53mins but I did do 6.7 miles too far and stopped a few times to check maps... Excuses, excuses...

http://www.lapchallenge.co.uk/SingleLap.aspx
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    GraemeB wrote:
    What a disaster!!!! Got lost 3 times and ended up doing nearly 7 miles more than we should have. We missed the turn off after Knight Reservoir (got carried away with a great tail wind) and ended up in Walton. We then had to fight back into the head wind to get back on course.

We then missed the turn off onto Burnwood Road near Hersham and messed up a little near the crossing of the A3.

Nice course, definitely not flat but horrible head wind for most of it today.

So, overall I currently have the top time in the league table with a VERY embarrassing 1hr 53mins but I did do 6.7 miles too far and stopped a few times to check maps... Excuses, excuses...

What's all this 'we' business? :?
    Is the TT not an Individual TT?
  • GraemeB
    We had the regulation 90 second spacing ;)
  • GraemeB
    So we have a new leader on the league table, "Pink Panther" has SMASHED my time and tops the table with a Garmin verified time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 58 seconds.

Top speed of 33mph and average speed of 19.9mph.

Good going Pink Panther!

• GraemeB
    Can everyone please be careful at the right turn into Lammas Lane as you head into Esher. As pointed out by Dave last week you can't turn right here as it is one way. The easy option is to hop off your bike and cross the road junction on foot and then carry on. The only other way is to turn left and go round the block. If you do this let me know and I'll knock the time off your lap time.

Take care all... I'll be sure Wiggins will get off and cross the road legally during the event ;)
  • GraemeB
    Just to answer a few questions I've been asked direct via the site:

1. Yes I will add the women's time trial course to the site

2. No I probably won't add the road race courses to the site as they aren't really 'Lap Challenges' and are not time specific

3. Yes you can add your favourite routes to the site - simply register and then you can add any course you want via the 'My Courses' option. Please make sure that they are 'Laps' as opposed to point to point.

4. Yes you can add your club challenges to the site, see point 3. We can even create a team challenge if you want?

Cheers,

Graeme
  • GraemeB
    Ladies Olympic Time Trial course will be live this evening
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    GraemeB wrote:

3. Yes you can add your favourite routes to the site - simply register and then you can add any course you want via the 'My Courses' option. Please make sure that they are 'Laps' as opposed to point to point.

So you would not be able to add climbs?
  • GraemeB
    Yeah why not, funny you mention that I was have a conversation with one of our members from the site about adding the Box Hill climb. What are you thinking about?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    How about every climb from the book 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs :lol:

There is a guy who is riding all of them for charity (complete with garmin data), maybe he will let you have all his data :D

http://100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com/
  • GraemeB
    That's not a bad idea! I could look to create a page just for the hills. Cheers for that I think I'll look into it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    How about College Road in Dulwich, from the toll booth to the top of Fountain Drive. There's a thread on it on here.
  • GraemeB
    I'm think that this is a good idea. I'm going to add a sub menu to the site for Hill Challenge and then we can start to get these up there. I'll drop you all a line via the forum when it's done. Shouldn't take too long.
  • GraemeB
    If you want to see how your lap compares to the current leader check this out:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91661290

If you upload your time to the course we will overlay your time to the current leader for comparison.
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    I imagine I would be challenging for the slowest time, however my all time favorite curry house is in West Molesey so I can always use the excuse to visit the area.
  • GraemeB
    We could maybe add a curry Lap Challenge! Your time would probably be quicker than mine, I got lost a few times...

Check out the facebook page for more info on Lap Challenge...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lap-Chall ... 5177094245
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Graeme,

I think you need to question your ethics - are you doing this for the quick buck or for what you see as furthering the sport?

You are encouraging idiots to break a rule as set out in the Royal park guidlines :

http://www.richmondparklondon.co.uk/cyc ... adcycling/
    It is worth noting that there is a speed limit of 20mph throughout the park with regular police patrols at weekends.

Besides which any self respecting bike rider ought to be able to knock out over evens the morning after a big pie and ale dig.

Stop being a bad tit and mention the speed limit on your site and encourage folk to join proper cycling clubs who run bona fide time trials under the proper law governing them when they have a chance of knocking out some proper speed in the Big Nick...

Night Night

TT
  • GraemeB
    Good morning TT,

You're right that the speed limit should be mentioned, the original version always did have reference to the 20mph speed limit although this had mistakenly been dropped in the latest update. It has been now been updated.

There are no 'bucks' involved at all in this (only ones coming out of my pocket) never mind quick ones so it is hardly an ethical issue, the site was originally intended to be purely for runners but morphed into covering both sports. The 3 Lap Challenge was created in response to a long running thread on the Bike Radar forum - granted the sub hour marker isn't entirely advisable as it does encourage +20mph average (again removed from the site).

I'm not discouraging people from joining cycling clubs and any cycling clubs out there are more than welcome to advertise on the site for free. As I said early in the thread this site hasn't been created to make money, it's just a bit of fun and that is all I ever intend on it being.

I hope this answers your points, speed limit has been added and if you are a member of a club drop me your details and I'll happily put an advert on the site for you - for free!

Regards,

Graeme