Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In the cold they are needed as your eyes will be shedding tears. Anti-fog is only comes into play when stopped, airflow when moving clears mine but I do add some rain-x type liquid to my winter glasses. Lidl/Aldi do deals on multi lens glasses but you need to try for fit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    There is nothing worse than hammering down a hill and having to stop because a fly has flown into your eye. That's why I ALWAYS wear shades.
    Recently got some Pro line multi lens's for £15. First time I used the yellow lenses on a very grey dull evening I couldn't believe the difference they made. I thought it was just for show but they are excellent. I am a convert.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I had a large bumble bee bounce of my sunglasses yesterday when I was doing 25mph, convinced me they were worthwhile :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • They also keep dust out a lot and when it's raining improve visibility... you can't see as much because of the rain on the lenses but at least you can keep your eyes open behind the lenses.

Not to mention the protection for your eyes from the sun on those long sunny rides.
  • one the subject of sunglasses does anyone have any experiences/recommendations of prescription lenses in wrap-around styles?. I am quite liking Rudy Project at the moment because they take varifocal optical inserts

SN660906V_M.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    thecrofter wrote:
    There is nothing worse than hammering down a hill and having to stop because a fly has flown into your eye. That's why I ALWAYS wear shades.
    Recently got some Pro line multi lens's for £15. First time I used the yellow lenses on a very grey dull evening I couldn't believe the difference they made. I thought it was just for show but they are excellent. I am a convert.

Which glasses are you talking about? Where can they be obtained?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    one the subject of sunglasses does anyone have any experiences/recommendations of prescription lenses in wrap-around styles?. I am quite liking Rudy Project at the moment because they take varifocal optical inserts

The Projects are well made and serve the job well. I quite like them. As for the inserts, it depends how strong your prescription is. If they could take my prescription (~-8), I'd probably go for them. I believe most labs that can grind inserts can grind them to varifocal spec; you really *do* have to ask them.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Eye protection is a very good idea for reasons given already. I have tried various options but to be honest for £3 or £4 the Aldi / Lidl ones take some beating. They wrap around better than conventional sunnies, aren't too dark and are cheap enough to be almost disposable.

EDIT: If you want something better that the Aldi / Lidl specials for not much more cash, check out the Bolle Safety glasses on ebay
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • davis wrote:
    one the subject of sunglasses does anyone have any experiences/recommendations of prescription lenses in wrap-around styles?. I am quite liking Rudy Project at the moment because they take varifocal optical inserts

The Projects are well made and serve the job well. I quite like them. As for the inserts, it depends how strong your prescription is. If they could take my prescription (~-8), I'd probably go for them. I believe most labs that can grind inserts can grind them to varifocal spec; you really *do* have to ask them.
    mines -4 so they should be ok... not sure whether to get them to make the inserts or get my local optician to do so...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I use some decathlon glasses with interchangeable clear, yellow and dark lenses - they work fine and cost maybe £15.

I'm too careless and clumsy to buy expensive ones...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've gone with the other end of the scale and bought Oakleys. Before the Aldi crowd get excited ( :wink: ), I used to have a 3 quid pair of PBK shades (reduced from 30 IIRC) but the lenses scratched much more easily and the arm failed when the pin rusted through. They were dramatically less good optically and steamed up much quicker. I bought the Oakleys as half-price factory seconds from the eyewearoutlet and, I have to say, I'm almost entirely unaware of wearing them - in all conditions. As glasses go, you can't get better than that. And, at 2 hours a riding day all-year-round, I don't think the expense is unjustified.

As well as insects, they proect your eyes from other crap - notably for me, farmyard "waste" spraying off my front tyre. I wear my lid everywhere, I wear my shades nearly everywhere - 2-minute trips to the PO excluded.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I have always worn glassers and finally took the plunge six months ago to get monthly disposable contact lenses, yes, not change daily, but wear constantly for a month and change, just 12 times a year, they are great, and believe me, for the FIRST time, I was able to buy cycling glassers, I now have five pair all different, the change in my cycling is 100%.

I can cycle in the rain with clear ones, when I wore glassers I couldnt, constant fogging.

no dust in the eyes, you don't freeze in winter and sqint, get some.

You do not have to get cycling glassers, none of mine are, I wear BLOC, and believe it, the review here on bike radar of Endura is spot on, great for the price, finally don't be put off by "low price", I have two pair of Foster Grant polarised £10 end of summer (£20) at beginning, well made and very good.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Flies, bumble bees and dust are nothing compared to a stone chip in your eye. Normal glasses are good, sports glasses are tougher and safety glasses tougher still.

I am still looking for a transparent visor that can attach to my helmet.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Oakley half jackets with a set of black iridiums which let 10% light through a set of g30 iridium lenes which let 30% (use these the most) and a set of persoimmion lenses which let 90% through and around the centre of london under street lights they do brighten things up.

I hate getting gritty eyes from the crap in the air.
  • whitestar1
    Well all I have come to the decision that riding glasses is a necessary evil. I am not loaded as the Oakley crowd. Honestly my medical lens cost me £250 if my wife found out that I got Oakley for that kind of money its curtains mate :lol: Found this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

It seems that this subject is well argued. So I have bought the Bolle Contour Metal Smoked Lens Safety glasses CONTMPSF off ebay. £10.99 plus free delivery and that 5-8 days so a very long wait.

It's anti-fog/impact resistant/anti-scratch polycarbonate lens. What do you think?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    whitestar1 wrote:
    I am not loaded as the Oakley crowd. Honestly my medical lens cost me £250 if my wife found out that I got Oakley for that kind of money its curtains mate :lol: ?

Mine cost me less than a fifth of that but I'm sure the Bolles will do the job.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Went round a number of opticians today asking about cycling/sports sunglasses with optical inserts... a lot of blank stares.... surely i cant be the only one ever who wanted such a thing?

I like the Rudy Project, but finding a N London stockist so I can try them on before buying is proving difficult... :(

Oakley's are easier to find... but a lot more expensive...
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    Bolle Silliums are probably the best and at £8 (actually shop around and get them for £5.75) a pair you don't have to mess about with interchangeable lenses, just get a clear pair and a smoked pair.

You probably won't find them at cycle shops though, you need to go somewhere like the local industrial supplies place
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Went round a number of opticians today asking about cycling/sports sunglasses with optical inserts... a lot of blank stares.... surely i cant be the only one ever who wanted such a thing?

Surprising, although I've been going to the same opticians since he told my parents I could see (Coloboma not affecting the retina) and his staff are all rather good.

Went in with a request from the MSA to confirm my eyesight was suitable for competition driving (although I had applied for a navigators licence :Shrugs:) first pair of glasses they suggested were Addidas sports goggles with inserts. Didn't like them though as I could really see the edges even when focused on a bit of paper.

I really need to get myself a pair of normal sunglasses though as my prescriptions getting worse and the previously mentioned eye fault means I really suffer from Glare.

For cycling I just wear a pair of cheap plastic things, yeah the lenses scratch but I don't find the scratches a problem.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • whitestar1
    david2 wrote:
    Bolle Silliums are probably the best and at £8 (actually shop around and get them for £5.75) a pair you don't have to mess about with interchangeable lenses, just get a clear pair and a smoked pair.

You probably won't find them at cycle shops though, you need to go somewhere like the local industrial supplies place

ebay and Amazon
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • giantsbrae
    giantsbrae Posts: 4
    screwfix
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I've got a pair of cycling glasses with 3 interchangeable lenses. To be honest, with the fluffing about changing lenses and the size of the lens case it'd be easier just to have two pairs of glasses - one for sun, one clear.
  • Oakley Jawbones make changing the lenses really easy.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I always wear glasses as bits of dust or the odd fly aren't nice and it stops my eyes watering. I don't change the lenses around that much, tend to stick to clear lenses for winter and then the yellow ones most of the other weeks as they cover both darkness and the sun nicely.
  • Check out www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk. They also have a store at Xscape in Castleford. I have ordered a pair of Rudy Project cycling glasses from them and the service in store is fantastic. If you are using their site and have any questions just give them a bell. The guy who served me is a regular mountain biker and so is able to give advice from experience instead of just the information from the manufacturer.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Whatever sunglasses you get make sure they have UV coating on the lens. It's the UV coating that protects rather then the tint. Tints are used for the contrasts.

I must admit I'm a Bolle fanboy. Cheap and high quality. For around £6 you can have high impact protection in a decent style that will save your sight if you hit a fly at speed or swipe a tree or bush branch.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Glasses are essential for cycling as already pointed out.

I bought some Rudy Project Kerosenes on offer from Colin Lewis about 10 years ago , I think they were about 45pds which included clear and dark easily changeable lenses.
    Since then I am on my second set of nose pieces - via great service from Parkers and then RP in the USA as Parkers had run out of the spare parts kit.
    I'm also on my second set of temple tips.
    These parts need replacing if you use the glasses a lot , through sweat etc.

I also bought my son a pair of hardly used Rudy Project Rydons from ebay for 35pds.

Both glasses are good designs and well made.

Like all things you pay for quality however there are deals out there to be had.
  • whitestar1
    fatherted wrote:
    Glasses are essential for cycling as already pointed out.

I bought some Rudy Project Kerosenes on offer from Colin Lewis about 10 years ago , I think they were about 45pds which included clear and dark easily changeable lenses.
    Since then I am on my second set of nose pieces - via great service from Parkers and then RP in the USA as Parkers had run out of the spare parts kit.
    I'm also on my second set of temple tips.
    These parts need replacing if you use the glasses a lot , through sweat etc.

I also bought my son a pair of hardly used Rudy Project Rydons from ebay for 35pds.

Both glasses are good designs and well made.

Like all things you pay for quality however there are deals out there to be had.

Where did you get yours?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I use Oakley Half Jacket XLJs with prescription lenses. They do a great job. As others have said, glasses of some kind are a must on the bike. Things like flies, dirt and grit do not feel nice if they get into your eye.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I always wear cycling glasses to avoid the odd insect strike and to reduce the inevitable eye watering that seems to aflict you as you get older. I treat them as a 'consumable' item though.

They can fog up (which is a pain) when you stop at lights/junctions etc, and occasionally on low speed climbs but other than that, they're fine.

A mate vindicated my decision to stick with the 'cheap' option in the winter when he spent £150 on some Adidas glasses.

They have a very garish white frame and bronze tinted anti-fog lenses (which were f.. all use on the February day we met up for a ride). They also have specially designed features for this, are tailored for that, have 'comfort fit' inserts (whatever they may be!) and the leaflet claims them to have many other features and qualities.

Unfortunatley he dropped them a couple of days after we met up and scratched the lens. The replacement is a 'special order' at £175 +P&P - so bascially it's cheaper to buy a new pair.

I'll stick with my £25 Bloc Stealths and £9.99 replacement lenses.

Bob