Metrigear-Garmin Powermeter

ridgeracer
ridgeracer Posts: 8
Has anybody heard any updates on if/when Garmin plan to release a pedal based powermeter, resulting from their aquisition of Metrigear?

I was hoping this would be a more affordable and portable route to training with power and have been waiting patiently but now wondering whether best to just jump into the Powertap market....

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    By the end of this year. But that's what they said last year!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    ridgeracer wrote:
    I was hoping this would be a more affordable and portable route to training with power

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Keep an eye on here as this guy seems to be pretty close to Garmin and he also does great gear reviews. The latest release date is sometime 4th quarter this year.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Won't be cheaper than a PowerTap.
    More problems but still living....
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Reckon Look/Polar are gonna beat them to it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWU0tTQC ... ture=share
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    And pause at 1:15 and you'll see they seem to overreport when compared to SRM... but can't see the scale to see by how much :)
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Won't be cheaper than a PowerTap

Garmin claim they will be trying to make power meters as ubiquitous in cycling as GPS. If that's the case they'll be under cutting existing products substantially.
  • danowat
    In a report last year, they said the price would still be hitting the £800-£1000 mark, certain not a price point where any old joe would get one.
  • 2010 was the year of promise-ware in the world of power meters.

One wonders if 2011 will be the same.
  • magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    Yep still vapour. I'm certainly glad I never waited for the next big thing.

The Polar will only work with Polar head units and is not ANT+ so isn't especially stunning. Doubly so when the expected price is so high around £1500-£2000 IIRC

The Metrigear/Garmin certainly has a lot of potential when it arrives and is proven - although the choice(s) of pedal could prove interesting.
  • danowat
    although the choice(s) of pedal could prove interesting.

I am sure I read / saw somewhere that if would be LOOK pedals?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Pokerface wrote:
    "they" then was metrigear
    "they" now is garmin.
    big difference.
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    I don't know where I got this from but I thought the pedal was going to be a speedplay for some reason. Must have read a rumour or report somewhere I guess.
  • The Metrigear prototypes were built into Speedplay pedals. If Garmin has any sense, there will be different versions of the power meter pedals.
    John Stevenson
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is also the Brim Brothers cleat based PM that looks interesting, it will be compatible with all the major pedal types...
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Looks like the rumours are starting again, but then they do every time Interbike comes round:

http://cyclereviews.co.uk/reviews/garmi ... 11-launch/
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    LOL :lol:

so in essence that says....

[some random bloke on the interweb] spoke with [some random guy] who told me that it would be........

Funnily enough I spoke with someone today who said I'd win the lottery tomorrow night, so I just cant wait!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Pokerface wrote:
    "they" now is garmin.
    big difference.

I'm still waiting for them to get the 705's firmware right. Dont hold your breath.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    a_n_t wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    "they" now is garmin.
    big difference.

I'm still waiting for them to get the 705's firmware right. Dont hold your breath.

Ha. They didn't say right they just said released. Garmin, king of betaware, looks have had the moderating hand metrigear on this product but you wonder how much longer they will continue to delay before the old habit overides all concerns about just getting it right.