fgot to unclip

fezhead
fezhead Posts: 21
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
hi. broke my duck the other day by fgetting to unclip. turned out to be quite an expensive gaffe. needed new seat, scuffed bar tape n bent brake/ gear leaver. but u no wot it was nothing compared to the embarassment that i felt because it all happend in front of the mrs. she pissed herself laughin while i squirmed round on the deck trying to unclip

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    New seat? Have you jus been eyeing one up for while?

also; lol at the last sentence! :P
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    lol harsh mate.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Valy wrote:
    New seat? Have you jus been eyeing one up for while?

:)
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    What did you manage to do to the seat to break it? And sometimes STIs can move on the bar in an accident, so they may not be damaged they could just need straightening up.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I feel your pain! I've fallen off mine twice in 2 days! :wink:

On Tuesday I took my bike out the back gate meaning to roll around to the front to the car to get my mobile out. I had my feet lightly resting on the pedals but not clipped in. As I approached the kerb for some stupid reason I put too much weight on my right pedal just before lifting my foot off and accidentally clipped in. I fell sideways and skinned my knee.

Yesterday I went for a new ride I found on mapmyride.com which I'd never ridden before. It was just short of 40 miles, but with some silly climbs. Within 4 miles of home, I tried to ride up a stupidly steep hill from Wooburn Green, got 3/4 of the way up, ran out of legs and tried to unclip. Had no energy to do so and fell sideways onto the verge.

It happens to us all :)
  • Welcome =D

My first time was at low speed at the top of a hill, luckily only a few people around and no harm done!

My cousin on the other hand tried SPD's for the first time on the L2B ride last year.. forgot to unclip and wiped out 3 other statonary riders!
    exercise.png
  • fezhead
    fezhead Posts: 21
    think most people have fgot to unclip at some point. wripped all the seat. have managed to straighten the lever. but bar tape all wragged. the top tube fell on my leg, had a rate lump in seconds but the old R.I.C.E effect (from my time asa 1st aider) worked wonders n were all back up n runnin. seats luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurvly
    :D:D
  • It's the embarressment the most!!
    I went over once and picked myself up and then skated around on my SPDL's on a damp road in front of all the cars, which I promptly ended up on my A***.
    Has much as it hurt and the worry of damage, you just have to laugh at yourself for doing it!! :lol:
    I know that if I watched myself do what I did that day, I would be rolling around so you have to laugh at the time.
    I am sure we will all do it on more than one occassion also.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    I went out for the first time last weekend clipped in. Loads of practice up and down the street, felt quite confident...

Within a mile I'd come a cropper :oops: grazed knee, scratched pedal and bar end / tape grrr. Thankfully it was in a quiet area so I think no-one saw me.

Feels almost like a right of passage!
  • It is definatly a case of hurt pride over physical pain!

I managed to do in a town centre down the side of a bus in front of countless people, but hey you'll probably never see them again anyway so who cares?

:lol:
    :D
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Hit the floor a couple of times and no doubt will hit it again the last time forgot to unclip while looking at a woman jogging and fell into nettles i would rather have hit the tarmac hells bells it was agony :cry:
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I don't know of anyone who has not done it once. You join a very big and not so exclusive club!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't know of anyone who has not done it once. You join a very big and not so exclusive club!

Indeed! A quick search on the forum will confirm this!
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • markowe
    markowe Posts: 24
    Yeah, you would be weird if you hadn't done that a few times. I have been riding SPD for a few years now (even started a blog on the subject!), but managed to do the 'clipless topple' fairly recently. Put new pedals on, which were a lot tighter than the old ones. Rolled to a stop, unclipped the wrong foot and promptly fell over the other way. Just before a race too. People worry about having serious falls with SPD's but the fact is most falls happen in stupid situations when you are riding 1 mph.
  • I know A LOT of people who have had the moment, loads of my friends just gone clipless for the first time recently and had the issues. :D

However, I honestly can't remember having a clipless moment ever! I have been riding clipless pedals for about two thirds of my life, which could be the reason, and I rode powergrips before then. But I really can say I can't remember, even in the early days having one of those moments.

I bet it happens next time I am out though! :shock:
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • markowe
    I bet it happens next time I am out though! :shock:

Yep, you've just called it upon yourself :D Let us know how you get on! Off, I mean!
  • davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    I managed to do it with a toe clips/straps :-( Got caught out by a traffic light change and was slightly off balance. Just slowly and gracefully toppled over, all the way desperately yanking my foot in completely the wrong direction. I'm sure the people in the car behind must have been wondering why I didn't just put my foot down!!!

Using SPDs I've been lucky - closest to falling off was when I was being naughty and cycling (carefully!) on the pavement out of a supermarket to the nearest road. Stopped without thinking at the edge of the road but fortunately was right next to a wall I managed to lean on!

I'm quite careful to unclip early and move my foot so I don't clip back in but I'm sure at some point I'll come a cropper in traffic.

Dave
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've had SPDs for a long time and did it the other day, first one in years since I started using them, at mum and dad's house end of a ride, fell into next doors hedge - couldn't get away with making out it didn't happen, there was green stains up the side of my bibs and bits of leaves in my top...

that reminds me to wind down the tension in the pedals before I set out tomorrow......
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • markowe
    Hmm, if there's one situation when riding clipped in that COULD be dangerous it's in traffic - imagine toppling over right in front of an artic'. Just saying...
  • rls
    rls Posts: 44
    Never done it with SPDs or the like, but did it a few years ago with cages/straps. I was taking a shortcut and stopped to let an old lady cross and landed in the road next to her....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    markowe wrote:
    Yeah, you would be weird if you hadn't done that a few times. I have been riding SPD for a few years now (even started a blog on the subject!), but managed to do the 'clipless topple' fairly recently. Put new pedals on, which were a lot tighter than the old ones. Rolled to a stop, unclipped the wrong foot and promptly fell over the other way. Just before a race too. People worry about having serious falls with SPD's but the fact is most falls happen in stupid situations when you are riding 1 mph.
    Let me know which races you enter this year :D
  • Only time i've ever done it it wasn't my fault. One of the alllen bolts had sheared on a particularly tricky and bumpy descent on my MTB. Got to the bottom of the hill, twisted foot to get out and of course it just pivoted on the one remaining bolt. Queue slow mo topple onto my side. Had to take the shoe off my foot to get it off ;) Mates pissed themselves :roll:
  • markowe
    markowe wrote:
    Let me know which races you enter this year :D

Ha, I came third in my category, I'll have you know, my national Masters debut in my country :) That topple was just a warmup ;)
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Been riding clipless for 5 + years, and only once fell off previously, when I "stalled" up a very steep hill in Devon. But then happened to me yesterday in a busy-ish Saturday morning market town in Hampshire. I came up to a junction, unclipped, decided there was time to get out in front of the car coming across so clipped in again, changed my mind and tried to put my foot down before realising I was still clipped in and then gently falling to one side. To be honest, I thought it was more funny than anything else - must have given the onlookers something to talk about for a while!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    topcattim wrote:
    Been riding clipless for 5 + years, and only once fell off previously, when I "stalled" up a very steep hill in Devon. But then happened to me yesterday in a busy-ish Saturday morning market town in Hampshire. I came up to a junction, unclipped, decided there was time to get out in front of the car coming across so clipped in again, changed my mind and tried to put my foot down before realising I was still clipped in and then gently falling to one side. To be honest, I thought it was more funny than anything else - must have given the onlookers something to talk about for a while!

did exactly the same on saturday, 60 mile training run for etape cally, 5 miles from home came to a junction, tried to save time and keep feet clipped in whilst checking oncoming traffic, looked safe, then 2 motorbikes came suddenly round bend, it was either try and power across or unclip, but feet were having none of it, they did the foot version of being tounge tied, slow motion fall, couldn't even get my hands off the handlebars, straight onto elbow and shoulder OUCH!, but not a scrape on the bike, very stupid of me! A second or 2 to unclip and i would have been able to mow the lawn, cut the hedge and do all those other jobs, instead had to watch the football and cycling on tv all afternoon, will i ever learn :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Valy
    Lol, yeah, I wonder what goes through the mind of someone who does not know about clipless when they see a clipless moment! :p

I would be "wtfd" fo sho!
  • bianchimoon
    Valy wrote:
    Lol, yeah, I wonder what goes through the mind of someone who does not know about clipless when they see a clipless moment! :p

I would be "wtfd" fo sho!
    you're right to someone who doesn't know they must think that the person on the bike is pi$$ed or something, had the privilege of watching a guy we used to cycle with fall over in the middle of a high street right next to a really nice blond passenger in a sports car, her mouth just gaped wide before she put her hand to it in shock then when she saw me starting to crease up, she realised it was ok and burst out laughing herself :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Valy
    Watch cycling wuh huh? WHERE!?!? :p

and giggidy
  • bianchimoon
    Valy wrote:
    Watch cycling wuh huh? WHERE!?!? :p

and giggidy
    Tour of turkey on eurosport