£500 to spend at halfords

2»

Comments

• star-trails
    star-trails Posts: 68
    most bike shops are on the cycle to work scheme so you will get a much better bike from them if you want my opinion , im originally from solihull by the way

amy and scott
    x
  • Gdclay
    Gdclay Posts: 15
    Cheers my company chose only to deal with halfords though so didnt have much choice! Happy now though, cool where abouts are you now?
  • star-trails
    star-trails Posts: 68
    im in walsall now , so not moved a million miles
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Gdclay wrote:
    Right so my conpanys doing this cycle to work scheme and ive got £500 to spend at halfords
    whitestar1 wrote:
    Everyone is making a fuss over the Halfords bikes, why not take a step back and look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1?

Let me think :wink:

Seriously though, they all have their spec cuts somewhere, IMO the rockrider's spec cut in the wheels is a bad call, the halfords models tend to go for horrible cranks and basic drivetrain instead but better wheels. If you've got to have cheap nasty bits, make it the ones that wear out IMO.That said, the Decathlon's still a very nice bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've just ordered a Specialized Hardrock Pro from Halfords through the Cycle2Work scheme - their business services will check availability for you and arrange delivery straight to your home if desired. Mine is apparently coming from Berkshire Bikes.
  • RyanWilson
    RyanWilson Posts: 155
    I have been disputing about the HooDoo too, im cut between the specialized hardrock pro and the HooDoo, which is better is the question and for beginners like me that decision seems impossible. so i suggest just try as many bikes as possible. whichever feels right will be the bike you get and wont regret..
  • Tazzedx
    Tazzedx Posts: 23
    Hi,
    I'm returning to Mountain Bikes after a long lay off due to illness and recently bought a Hoodoo. I guess Halfords will vary according to staff and their interest or lack of it and their skill and knowledge. My local branch must be lucky as I've no issues with set up.

The bike itself has so far proven to be very capable with no issues worthy of the name. And I've been pleasantly surprised by what you can get for your money these days, it seems a good value bike.

My only advice would be don't forget to acquire some helicopter tape to protect your finish from the rub marks left by cable runs and the inevitable stone chips. It's tough stuff and will last, I used to use it on my race bikes in another life. lol. It's a worthwhile investment.

Best of luck - Enjoy.

Taz.
    Mountain Biking - as addictive as Cocaine and Twice as expensive!!!
  • Jawa
    Jawa Posts: 81
    supersonic wrote:
    iain1775 wrote:
    Well I own the very first Voodoo Hoodoo that was imported to the UK
    I bought it in 1995/6, frame number 37 and its stioll going strong, has gone though various guises rigid, cantilever brakes, V brakes, Girvin flexstem suspension forks 30mm travel, 100mm travel 140mm travel and now 80mm travel and is still one of the best hardtails Ive ever ridden it just adapts to anything I put on it
    Ok its pre Halfords and its steel not Aluminium so bears no resemblance to the modern bike of the same name but its a great spec for the money and you are investing in a bit of MTB history, designed by Joe Murray that you can garantee will last you and be reasonably future proof as much as a £500 bike can be
    Worlds apart from any Apollo or Carrera bikes halfords might sell

Shm_uk, your comment is one of the stupidist things Ive read on here, if you have no experience of the brand or bikes you shouldnt make such sweeping statements

(review of Voodoo bike in this months MBR - it scores a 9 and wins the grouptest)

Ah, the original Voodoos, those were the days! But lets not get carried away lol. They have nothing to do nowadays with Joe Murray, and the budget alu frames are pretty basic, and not up to the Carreras really.

I bought a Voodoo Wanga about a month ago (although it's the 2009 model) and I love it to bits. Took it to Cannock Chase a couple of weeks ago and had a great time riding it. Comparing the Voodoo bikes to the Apollo's is ridiculous.
    Also Joe Murray seems to be a pretty prominent figure on the Voodoo site, his name is on my frame and I would be suprised if he'd allow his legendary name to be used on a frame if he'd had no involvement in the design of it.
  • Gdclay
    Gdclay Posts: 15
    ive had the hoodoo about 5 weeks now and havnt regreted it for a minute, great value for money