Who's put in for Olympics tickets?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I tried and succeeded first time just before midnight. No time outs, just straight in.

If the deadline has been extended, I may go back for some more tickets as I was trying to complete before midnight.

Boxing sounds like it could be good.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Wouldn't it be great if the organisers were to have an etape style, closed roads sportive following the route of the Olympic Road Race?

Someone should organise a SCR outing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Lots of eye-rolling on Breakfast this morning about the website problems - no sympathy really as the tickets have been open for bidding for six weeks or so. It's not really a surprise that there was a rush at the last minute.

Anyone hear about the woman who applied for 240 tickets!? She'll shortly have potentially over £20k sitting on her credit card.

Olympic SCR sounds good though, although closed roads might be a big ask.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I put in for the athletics session with the Men's 100m heats in. It's too close for me to think that we could have seen it, but too far away for me to put in for loads and get them spaced over a number of days. Will be very excited if it comes off.

Couldn't go for many of the more popular events, as we have three kids and they limited you to four tickets per session. Would seem a bit unfair to leave one of them outside the ground.
  • 647 quid!

If I get them all I will be amazed, and happy. Have got some prime track cycling, athletics and swimming events in there.

In 16 months time I will just be glad to be going and to be able to take the kids to some Horse Jumping qualifiers!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'll be working at the Olympics, either as a javelin catcher or removing the sand from the ladies during the beach volleyball, as for the tickets it was a lottery as to which role you get.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My bro has applied for a couple of cycling ones - see what he gets, if any. Apparently it's next year's brithday pressie for me.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Lots of eye-rolling on Breakfast this morning about the website problems - no sympathy really as the tickets have been open for bidding for six weeks or so. It's not really a surprise that there was a rush at the last minute.

ahh the website which when the process opened had the advice not to rush in straightaway and apply but to wait and plan .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    rjsterry wrote:

ahh the website which when the process opened had the advice not to rush in straightaway and apply but to wait and plan .

I don't remember them advising to wait until the last 90 minutes of the entire six weeks. You can't have sympathy for people who leave things so late and then look to blame other people People have to learn to take responsibility for their own actions.

I had no problems applying for tickets, because I am not a total spanner.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Just got back from a rather lumpy holiday in the US so I think that made the tickets feel even more expensive. Think I will come to regret not getting anything as it is a once in a lifetime thing. Hopefully there will be a black/grey market for tickets closer to the time as I would like to get to the track cycling, otherwise it will just be the road cycling for me and maybe a trip to Greenwich park for the horses (if that is not ticketed?)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Chat on Twitter is that the track cycling, equestrian, modern pentathlon, triathlon and rhythmic gymnastics were the first events to sell out.

Quite an odd collection!

More than half of the 650 sessions are oversubscribed so will go to ballot.

This all courtesy of Owen Gibson of the Guardian on Twitter.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Butterd2 wrote:
    ...it is a once in a lifetime thing...

Nonsense, there's one every fifty years or so in London. On current trends a child born this year might see three!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Butterd2 wrote:

Nonsense, there's one every fifty years or so in London. On current trends a child born this year might see three!

Cheers,
    W.

Did you know (and it's amazing what you can find out on wiki) that we lost the 1908 bid to Rome? But Mount Vesuvius came to our rescue, and erupted, leading to a change of venue.

And that we won the bid for the 1944 Games, which didn't take place, ahead of seven other cities, one of which was Rome and one of which was Budapest (what sort of state would they have been in?). We were then invited to bid for the 1948 Games and awarded it without a contest (even though Lausanne and four US cities had originally bid)?

And that Denver is the only city to have bid for, won and then turned down the Games (winter, in 1976)?

2012 will mark London as the only city to have hosted the games three times, and we only won it properly once...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    Eh? Vesuvius is near Naples, over 100 miles away from Rome. <googles> Ah, it turns out the Italians had decided to spend the money elsewhere before the eruption and that just gave them a convenient get-out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    2012 will mark London as the only city to have hosted the games three times, and we only won it properly once...
    That's the spirit. 'tis truly the Olympic ideal :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Butterd2 wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Even on that basis I suspect it will be a once in a lifetime event for me. :(
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Butterd2 wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

They'll not know too much about the first one and by the time they get to the third they'll not remember the second.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Just spotted that slightly less than one quarter of the total value of tickets that we applied for has been debited from our account. Something is probably better than nothing...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    I still haven't had any money come out of my account- i really hope it's just late! Anyone else the same?
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Looking like I have got nothing.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just had 1/4 of my ask taken from the account. Need to check with the wife too as she had some on hers as well. Still a failrly large number that I need to pay. Hopefully that means I've got some of the finals that I've asked for!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    looks like i've got 2 out of the 6 events i put in for...now lets see what they are!!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Nothing taken from my account at all - assume I have nothing.......I expect that VISA, corporate sponsors and IOC are the real ticket winners.

Frustrating, very frustrating - It would also appear that I only know 2 people who can confirm that they have had money drawn from their accounts - but they only believe thay have maybe 1 ticket to 1 event - significantly reduced amounts drawn from their accounts.

Thats 2 people out of about 40 people I know that have applied for tickets who may have something......but not sure what or when.

All seems a bit bollox to me.
  • rjsterry
    Apparently those disappointed at this first round are first in the queue for a second round.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    We didn't apply for much but got some money taken out although looks like 2 tix rather than 4.

So it's either track cycling or ..... synchronised swimming. Whoopee!!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    No money taken off of my CC, so looks like nothing for me (so far).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    From DailyMash stars:

Aries (21 MAR-19 APR)
    A disappointing result as your Olympics tickets arrive and it turns out you spent £200 to watch the urine tests for the three-day eventing.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Both of us put in for £1600 of tickets each. Different events, different price bands, different number of tickets.

So far we both have nothing.....

Guess we can flog our house in Stratford and spend the cash on a good holiday :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Looks like I've got nothing
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    £86 debited for tickets. Can it be the cycling, the athletics or the rowing? Check my order for price brackets and find out no, it's none of those things, it's the sodding football final, something I can't even remember applying for in the first place. I guess I can dream that GB enter a team and beat Germany 10-0 in the final though in reality it'll be Grenada vs Kiribati and finish 1-0 due to a sloppy own goal.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"