Who's put in for Olympics tickets?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Finally got round to doing our bid this evening. Will be painfully expensive if we get everything.

I didn't major on the velodrome, as I think we aren't going to do as well there as expected. Thoughts?
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    WIn or lose - the action at the velodrome is awesome to watch. Plus it's one event where you can get relatively close up to the action.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asked for a couple of Velodrome sessions, but I've gone for quite a spread; cycling, diving, rowing, triathlon, athletics, gymnastics and, of course, womens beach volleyball.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Yep, gone for a few different sports - have a feeling there'll be tickets on the day for some of the more random events such as handball (although with London being so multi-national that could be a bad assumption!).

Went for both mens and womens athletics finals, the womens cycling finals, swimming finals, a round of gymnastics (same day as cycling I think) and the lottery that is the £20.12 Opening Ceremony option.

Fully expect to get none but you've got to be in it to win it, right?!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Heptathlon and mens 100m final. Chances? Slim.
  • can't be bothered. had a friend who applied for £10k of tickets for whistler and ended up with 1 £45 ticket for skijump preliminaries. will stay at home 10 mins from the park and watch as much as i can on telly, with the bike on the turbo trainer.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Applied for a load of tickets on the basis more chance of actually getting some - sods law I'll get them all and have to remortgage.

EDIT: and if I read it right - they take the money before you even find out what you have got and then give you a refund when you find out.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    JZed wrote:
    Applied for a load of tickets on the basis more chance of actually getting some - sods law I'll get them all and have to remortgage.

EDIT: and if I read it right - they take the money before you even find out what you have got and then give you a refund when you find out.

No - you are OK on that front, this from the 2012 website FAQ;
    Payment will be taken between 10 May 2011 and 10 June 2011. You will only be charged for the tickets you have been allocated.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    tickets still on sale till midnight tonight....
  • Pokerface wrote:
    WIn or lose - the action at the velodrome is awesome to watch. Plus it's one event where you can get relatively close up to the action.

Bugger. Didn't think about that. Even though I did realise that applying for the cheap tickets for the mens 100m final would most likely mean I'd end up at the very top of the stand in one of the far corners of the track.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Doing it tonight - have until Midnight to register. Neither myself or my wife have VISA cards, so we are on a phone a friend mission.....

Must admit that I thought that more would be made of the one brand ability to purchase....
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    It's a disgrace. 'Proud to accept VISA' indeed - bloody outrage that a payment vehicle can pay for exclusivity in something like the Olympics.

Luckily, the GF has a Visa card so have used that.

Similar things have happened in football World Cups, etc, in recent times. Along with crap like 'can only drink official beer, Budweiser' in the WC in South Africa - with the whole Robbie Earle/Dutch blondes/'guerilla marketing' hoopla.

I went for pairs of tickets to a few athletics sessions (inc men's 100m final but obviously unlikely!), plus some gymnastics/swimming for the GF and a try at the men's football final @ Wembley. That all comes to >£500 if they come off, but that's probably unlikely (and I'll be happy not to get them all!).

Let's not forget the £6 delivery charge they also add on!

They charge when they determine what tickets you'll get, in May-June, but the authorised reselling opportunity isn't until next year so if you have any clashes or don't want certain tickets, you'll have to hold on to them for some time. I'm sure they'll cream a % off the face value, should you sell them...
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • Blandiblub wrote:
    It's a disgrace. 'Proud to accept VISA' indeed - bloody outrage that a payment vehicle can pay for exclusivity in something like the Olympics.

Luckily, the GF has a Visa card so have used that.

Similar things have happened in football World Cups, etc, in recent times. Along with crap like 'can only drink official beer, Budweiser' in the WC in South Africa - with the whole Robbie Earle/Dutch blondes/'guerilla marketing' hoopla.

If Vancouver is anything to go by, wait til you find out that you can't take food or drinks into venues, and you're stuck with undermanned official food concessions in the venues, selling crap. Fortunately, there, the security at the entrance would usually let us in with sandwiches and water, but there were a couple of occasions when we had to bin our food before entry. "Food" included sweeties, btw. I can see the security being outsourced to G4 or redundant PCSOs, so expect something more stringent...

The £6 charge also really rankled with me. FFS, it's not like I'm offering to pay a small amount of money. You'd think they could afford some bloody postage stamps.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not yet. Got the road races and TTs very close to home, so that's a good start. Suspect the kids would like to be able to say "I once went to the Olympics"...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've piled in for cycling and athletics, and a couple of others, while fully expecting a small return. No way can I miss the spectacle so even without tickets I've every intention of stalking the Olympic Park for a few days during the fortnight. I'm as sceptical about many of the compromises that have had to be made as the next bloke but it's happening, and in my back yard to boot, so I want to see it succeed mightily.
    Whatever you've put in for, here's to good luck in the ballot.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    We've got a 5 year old (6 during the olympics) and we want him to see some stuff, so we've taken the opposite tack and gone for the cheap tickets at qualifying events - including "child pays their age" - for athletcis, cycling and beach volleyball.

The VISA thing is an absolute scandal tho'.

Even if I don't get any tickets in the lottery, I still feel that there'll be tickets for obscure events available for qualifying/early morning sessions etc. nearer the time - so if you just want to say "I went to the olympics...." I'm sure there'll be chances.

There's always the cycling road race....
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Would rather sit in comfort and watch it at home, as for the royal wedding, would rather go for a bike ride than watch that.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Greg66 wrote:
    Blandiblub wrote:
    It's a disgrace. 'Proud to accept VISA' indeed - bloody outrage that a payment vehicle can pay for exclusivity in something like the Olympics

The £6 charge also really rankled with me. FFS, it's not like I'm offering to pay a small amount of money. You'd think they could afford some bloody postage stamps.

+ 1 ordered a few...well you got to be in it to win it blarr blarr blarr !

+ 2 £6 delivery is a f**king joke though ! no other way to do it though so needs must !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I put in for a couple of the afternoon sessions at £95. Better value I reckon than £60 for the morning sessions. I'll be happy with one. If not, I tried and there'll presumably be opportunities when people offload due to being over-lucky.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    PBo wrote:
    We've got a 5 year old (6 during the olympics) and we want him to see some stuff, so we've taken the opposite tack and gone for the cheap tickets at qualifying events - including "child pays their age" - for athletcis, cycling and beach volleyball.....

Your wife/sig other buys that story?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Just did it. 200 odd squid if I get everything, but that's highly unlikely as I've picked some popular events, more likely I'll get nuffink.

Sport: Cycling - Track
    Session code: CT002
    Date/time: 03 August 2012 16:00-18:55
    Venue: Velodrome
    Price Category: D
    Quantity: 1
    Total cost: £50.00
    Total maximum cost: £50.00

Sport: Swimming
    Session code: SW010
    Date/time: 01 August 2012 19:30-21:35
    Venue: Aquatics Centre
    Price Category: C
    Total cost: £95.00
    Total maximum cost: £95.00

Sport: Opening Ceremony
    Session code: ZO001
    Date/time: 27 July 2012 19:30-22:30
    Venue: Olympic Stadium
    Price Category: D
    Total cost: £20.12
    Total maximum cost: £20.12

Sport: Athletics
    Session code: AT013
    Date/time: 09 August 2012 18:30-22:10
    Venue: Olympic Stadium
    Price Category: E
    Total cost: £50.00
    Total maximum cost: £50.00
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Christ, these tickets don't come cheap. Picnic in the Park for the road race it is then.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:
    Christ, these tickets don't come cheap. Picnic in the Park for the road race it is then.

Nah not cheap at all - I went for Opening Ceremony, 2 athletics, 2 cycling track and Boxing. Mixture of seat prices depending on how much I want to see stuff and potentially another chink in the new bike war chest.

I'm telling myself its a once in a lifetime event.....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I went for a couple of track sessions, BMX finals, bit of boxing and some athletics (200m final evening). Came in at over £600 - ouch! I'm assuming I'll probably get none of those, in which case road race cycling, time trial and marathons will probably do me fine to be honest.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:
    We've got a 5 year old (6 during the olympics) and we want him to see some stuff, so we've taken the opposite tack and gone for the cheap tickets at qualifying events - including "child pays their age" - for athletcis, cycling and beach volleyball.....

Your wife/sig other buys that story?

oh, the best bit about it was that the sister in law is coming along too, and she was the beach volleyball advocate! I didn't have to do a jot of persuading!. The session we've applied for has men and women's matches - so something for everyone :D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    If I do it will be like CJCP and road race or TT or both, I suspect the area around Boxhill is likely to be a waste of time, but other spots might be quieter etc, if nothing else some okay MTB routes out there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I've applied for a few of the "cheap" options. It soon adds up with the wife and 2 kids. But will definitely get out to try and see the road racing. Richmond Park is only a short walk from here. I think they are doing some sort of practice run this summer as well, might have imagined that bit though.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Olympic site is melting down.....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yup, FUBARd. I've got one application in but the wife wanted one too so been trying to subumit for her for the last hour. Keeps timing out and failing to process :(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've applied for a few of the "cheap" options. It soon adds up with the wife and 2 kids. But will definitely get out to try and see the road racing. Richmond Park is only a short walk from here. I think they are doing some sort of practice run this summer as well, might have imagined that bit though.
    Pretty sure there is a practice run. There was one before Beijing, which (iirc) Cadel Evans won
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • thelawnet wrote:
    Olympic site is melting down.....
    They've announced the deadline is extended to 1am

so, a further hour of getting timed out, maybe ;)