advice on turbo to keep fit when injured

bikergirl17
bikergirl17 Posts: 344
off bike for 8 weeks due to fractured neck. allowed to use turbo, and have been doing easier tacx virtual reality tapes but realise that need to be considerably more structured ...

any recommendations on sessions (type, time) that would help me maintain some baseline aerobic and physical (leg) fitness? i don't use a heart rate monitor.

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Now you must go the way of 'The Sufferfest'. Have Angels and Fight Club ( for the house soundtrack ). They were perfect for my rehab. One word of warning... you can loose yourself in the moment :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    How long are you willing to spend on the turbo in one sitting. I personally would avoid high intensities whilst still recovering from an injury, especially one to the neck.

If you are willing to spend 1.5 hours + on the turbo, try some good tempo sessions, easy to recover from, and will give both strength fitness and endurance fitness. Keep the cadence up as well, as that may help take some strain away from you back.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    thanks all. right now i can barely muster 45 minutes due to boredom but realise i have to man up!

my neck seems to be ok given where the brake is located; the issue is actually my shoulder, which isn't broken but feels close to it, so i end up doing a lot of sitting straight up, just moving my legs to ease the pressure.

i have a high end tacx, so can set it to do workouts but i just don't know which ... sbezza, what exactly is a tempo session? and how does one gear that to the individual, since 'tempo' i assume depends on one's fitness level.

is there seriously any benefit to eight weeks on the turbo? is there something else i could do that would also help?
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    One legged pedaling drills possibly?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    i have a high end tacx, so can set it to do workouts but i just don't know which ... sbezza, what exactly is a tempo session? and how does one gear that to the individual, since 'tempo' i assume depends on one's fitness level.

Well it is about 80 to 85% of Max HR, but without using power or HR it is probably a toughish session where you can probably say one or two words between breaths. RPE is probably about 7 on a 1-10 scale.
  • DHTT wrote:
    One legged pedaling drills possibly?
    Overrated.