LBL *spoiler*

124»

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    dougzz wrote:

I can't say I understand that but what I did notice is that on the last climb Gilbert was quite happy seated on a high cadence whereas one of the Schlecks (I don't know which one) was out of the saddle pulling what must have been a higher gear.

I know everyone has a different climbing style but I was reminded of how, a few years ago, LA's high cadence climbing style more often than not got the better of Ulrich powering his higher gear.

I know a lot of people think it fell a bit flat after previous classics this season but I found the last 15k compulsive as I was convinced that the Schlecks would have something up their sleeve to ruin Gilbert's party. I'm glad they didn't though. I also hope this is the beginning of a string of clean winners for this race.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how many eyes would be rolling if that had been someone else winning the 3 races over the last week. I really hope he is, but I'm afraid there's been too many let downs to buy into any one with any real certainty.
    That's completely understandable. Anyone who follows cycling closely must now have the same Pavlovian response to cycling success on this scale. I often wonder who's downfall would be the straw that broke the camel's back for cycling fans? What scandal would make the cycling Tifosi turn their back on pro racing and look elsewhere for their sporting fix? I guess it's a question for another time and another thread.

Chapeau Gilbert though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think it was Hincapie who said a few years back that it's easy to sit on the sofa and say people should've attacked, or tried something, but when you're at your physical limit there is nothing you can do.

To me, on the last climb you could see Pip was completely in control and had a bit extra while the Schlecks were on the limit. Pip played it well, got rid of the one guy in the group who would trouble him in a sprint and then just rolled to the finish line.

+1

Yep the brothers were just hanging on after that last climb, dont suppose there are too many non doped riders who would have been able to launch a sustainable attack under those circumstances.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    Just watched it.

Sh!t legs make any tactic look sh!t.

The Schlecks looked totally cooked after Gilbert's attack at 6km or whatever it was.

Omega had enough effort in the team amongst them to live with the mantle of having the outright favourite.

Was most disapointed with Gesink - surprised he didn't even make an effort to get to the wheel of the Schlecks - especially since he was well positioned for the attack.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited April 2011
    dougzz wrote:
    Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how many eyes would be rolling if that had been someone else winning the 3 races over the last week. I really hope he is, but I'm afraid there's been too many let downs to buy into any one with any real certainty.
    Get it right dougie.
    4 Wins out of 4

The Brabantse Pijl also
    Now with that race there was discussion about payment to the Belgian, Bjorn Leukemans who could have had the biggest win of his long career.

Bastogne (as you all know, maybe) is in the Luxembourg Region of Belgium and yes Gilbert is Local but next door is the half country of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, where the Schlecks come from.
    The Schlecks therefore are almost Local and before the German Euro money arrived in Europe then the Belgian Franc was legal tender in the Grand Duchy.

My point being is that the Schlecks must have Scooped a very Large share of the Belgian Lottery this weekend. :roll:

Andy was only pottering up the Ans climb with a "Done Deal"
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    deejay wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Get it right dougie.
    4 Wins out of 4

The Brabantse Pijl also
    Now with that race there was discussion about payment to the Belgian, Bjorn Leukemans who could have had the biggest win of his long career.

Bastogne (as you all know, maybe) is in the Belgian Region of Luxembourg and yes Gilbert is Local but next door is the half country of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, where the Schlecks come from.
    The Schlecks therefore are almost Local and before the German Euro money arrived in Europe then the Belgian Franc was legal tender in the Grand Duchy.

My point being is that the Schlecks must have Scooped a very Large share of the Belgian Lottery this weekend. :roll:

tinfoil%20hat.jpg
  • deejay

tinfoil%20hat.jpg
    .............."If the Cap Fits then Wear It"

Davide Rebellin
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I also hope this is the beginning of a string of clean winners for this race.

:lol: Yes, for me nothing says "clean winning" like utter domination.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Gilbert does pedal with a markedly toe-down style.
    He showed his dominance on the Côte de Saint-Nicholas, only Frank Schleck could hold him, so there'd be little point in Andy attacking on the Côte de Ans, Gilbert would easily have held him, if Frank attacked, then Andy would be out the back and Gilbert would have just had to hold him, then whip past.
    They were beaten, arguably as much mentally as physically. The best man won.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    dougzz wrote:
    redbicycle wrote:
    As Eric Zabel once famously said after MSR, "what'd you'd like to do after 300km of racing and what you CAN do are sometimes two different things..." Applies here - I think the Schleck's were completely out of gas. Perfect race by Gilbert, clearly no one can match him.

+Many - The forum experts at work here. Of course the first 250K and that lovely sunny day wouldn't have taken anything out of the legs, dropping the other 100+ riders the same. It doesn't matter if you have your entire team at the finish, on that course in this form Gilbert wasn't getting beaten. He dropped Andy on a climb, Frank could hardly hold his wheel, what were they supposed to do? Maybe Andy could have just ridden in to Gilbert and left Frank to take the win.

Funnily enough all I could think on that final 2km was how Andy was going to box in Gilbert. Gilbert was on the inside of Andy and the barriers - if Andy had slowed and moved over Gilbert would have to check and restart by which time Frank would have 20m. I know they wouldn't do it but that was what I was thinking.

Same thought crossed my mind. Quick touch on the brakes as Frank comes from behind and he's away... shame they were cooked. Still i always expect the same result when watching the Schleck's. They never seem to inspire confidence.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think it was Hincapie who said a few years back that it's easy to sit on the sofa and say people should've attacked, or tried something, but when you're at your physical limit there is nothing you can do.

Yes, I agree it is. However, I do find those brothers particularly irritating. I think their mum used to say to Frank 'oh let him play' when he didn't want Andy around. (like my mum used to do to me when I didn't want my sister with me!) :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    P_Tucker wrote:

Maybe, but I like to think that the fear of improved testing and the passport is such now that the level of advantage to a doper, given the reduced level to which he can risk doping, is small enough that a clean quality rider can prevail. But that doesn't stop the giant thump in the back of my head saying "get real" :)
  • mattsy666
    mattsy666 Posts: 91
    Nygaard's 'even Cipo' comment sums it up ... Andy was the stronger of the 2brothers and Andy gave it his all, Frank clung on, Gilbett upped the ante when Andy faded and Frank still hung on while Andy got dropped for his (failed) effort ... After that it was stick together for sfety's sake (24 secs lead) ... With only one winner ...

It was great this year but a bit like the Fab baiting that went on, no- one wants it 2years on the trott
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Don't think there is any disputing that Gilbert was the strongest man on the day - that's why you use tactics - so the strongest man doesn't always win.

The Schleck's led PG into the St Nicolas and they led him a fair way up it until he attacked. Then as soon as he sat back Andy came back up and went straight to the front for most of the rest of the race. For me it's too easy to say they couldn't do anything against Gilbert - if they tried and failed fair enough - but where did they really try ? Of course it's a hard race, of course 2nd and 3rd is a great result - but you hope riders of that caliber go all out to win not ride to hold on to a podium place.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • P_Tucker
    dougzz wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Maybe, but I like to think that the fear of improved testing and the passport is such now that the level of advantage to a doper, given the reduced level to which he can risk doping, is small enough that a clean quality rider can prevail. But that doesn't stop the giant thump in the back of my head saying "get real" :)

TBH, I wonder how much difference the passport makes. Obv the powers that be tell us that it's wonderful, but then they would say that. One suspects that the average Spanish gynaecologist could easily come up with a programme that would improve performance and avoid falling foul of the passport.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Hasn't these riders learned anything at the rolf sorensen school of cycling; win at all costs. Whether that means losing; If you drag a rider to the finish then you'll lose. They were happy to be 2nd and 3rd.
    They should have tried to attack or even refused to work with Gilbert and waited for more riders to come up from behind if needed to mix things up. Fuglsang should have been sent down the road to try to form a break. Having the Schlecks try to win was a sure fire way to get Gilbert to the finish line in a good position.
    Bad tactics again.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • P_Tucker
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Hasn't these riders learned anything at the rolf sorensen school of cycling; win at all costs. Whether that means losing; If you drag a rider to the finish then you'll lose. They were happy to be 2nd and 3rd.
    They should have tried to attack or even refused to work with Gilbert and waited for more riders to come up from behind if needed to mix things up. Fuglsang should have been sent down the road to try to form a break. Having the Schlecks try to win was a sure fire way to get Gilbert to the finish line in a good position.
    Bad tactics again.

-Jerry

Indeed. The telling thing is that if Andy Schleck had been riding for Lotto he'd have done exactly the same ride.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Just wondering what would have happened if the brothers had been riding for SaxoBank this year though.
  • deejay
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Bad tactics again.

-Jerry
    Love it, just Love it - talk about hitting the Nail on the Head. :lol:
    Rolf Sorensen on his knees with Tony Rominger up the hill while climbing Ans.

Lesson here, how to drag your tired old body with this gear, no that one but somehow he claws his way up that climb to catch Rominger who cannot believe he is still coming.
    Made it, wow, and Rominger knows who the winner will be that day because Rolf is a better sprinter.
    My first time and the first time Ans finish (1993) which went past the present finish by a couple of km's through some streets and under the motorway.
    There was a BBQ with burnt dogs and a TV up there. (probably still there)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "This is freaking amazing! To finish sixth in Liege-Bastogne-Liege might be the greatest result for me ever and naturally, I'm very proud."

Chris Anker

Nice work by him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    L-B-LprizeMoney.jpg

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 6:13:18
    2 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
    3 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
    4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Astana 0:00:24
    5 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky
    6 Chris Anker Sörensen (Den) Saxo Bank Sungard
    7 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing 0:00:27
    8 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:29
    9 Björn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil-DCM 0:00:39
    10 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Compare and contrast, prize money for the world snooker championships:

Winner: £250,000
    Runner-Up: £125,000
    Semi-final: £52,000
    Quarter-final: £24,050
    Last 16: £16,000
    Last 32: £12,000
    Last 48: £8,200
    Last 64: £4,600

You get £4,600 for not even qualifying for the first round of the main championships... poor Sammy Sanchez gets 450 quid for pedalling 260 km. I'm pretty sure some plumbers get a better hourly rate than that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    afx237vi wrote:

You get £4,600 for not even qualifying for the first round of the main championships... poor Sammy Sanchez gets 450 quid for pedalling 260 km. I'm pretty sure some plumbers get a better hourly rate than that.

However, Senor Sanchez is probably making around 1m Euros in salary. I doubt even Ronnie O'Sullivan makes anything like that in sponsorship. And the winners of the Tour win double that snooker amount.

While cycling does tend to be hopelessly undersold, I prefer individual earnings to be salary based rather than prize based for anti-doping reasons.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    The prize money is split amongst the Team also; not too good.
    Rolf Sorersen doing his thing below-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3CrdZr_GU

-Jerry

PS- The harsh reality is that both schlecks are paid by thier sponsor to win races which they failed to do with ease.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • P_Tucker
    afx237vi wrote:

Except that

1. Prize money only makes up a small part of a cyclist's income
    2. LBL is not the pinnacle of cycling - the Tour has much more prize money

Sammy Sanchez probably makes a million Euros a year (excluding sponsorship) - lets say he races 100 days (he almost certainly races fewer), thats €10,500 for an unsuccessful day's work. How many plumbers do you know who earn that?