afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Seriously, wtf was that?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Schlecks... pack of dweebs the two of em
    www.dotcycling.com
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'd describe that as tactical ineptitude on behalf of the schleck brothers except they didn't seem to bother with any tactics.

Nice one Pip
  • afx237vi
    Tactical ineptitude or complete lack of competitive spirit, I can't decide.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    What was that all about? Another Schleck masterpiece of tactics......fairly inevitable I'm afraid.

However, well done to Gilbert.....awesome!!! :shock:
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    LEGENDARY STATUS
    Contador is the Greatest
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Gilbertttttttttttttttttttttt!
    Always wanted to do that!
    Yak
  • emadden
    Stunning by Gilbert... Im thrilled. But those Schlecks are a disaster. I bet Mr 60% is pissing himself laughing
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Gilbert. Man Of The Year without a doubt, and it's only April.

As for the Schlecks, what a pair of numpties...
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    hahahah, you would have though being two pro they would have an ounce of tactical awareness...apparently not! leading out a better sprinter on another team is a pretty sure fire way to make sure you don't win.
  • frenchfighter
    Nice podium for the Schlecks regardless.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice podium for the Schlecks regardless.

Who ever remembers the "nearly men"?
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • emadden
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    You know that Riis is the man behind those two. They are definitely not the brightest cookies in the bunch.

Getty
    tumblr_l4x5a0Qjd11qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Big shame on all the other 'favourites'
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    You know that Riis is the man behind those two. They are definitely not the brightest cookies in the bunch.

Getty
    tumblr_l4x5a0Qjd11qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

hahahhaah Its like Dumb and Dumber :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Lost voice ever so slightly from shouting at phil to sprint and laughing at the Schlecks at the same time...

cue all the talk of Gilbert the GT rider.....
  • I did a big laugh when I saw the job the schlecks did in that last km... no brains at all.

If you play your two leaders at the same time and have them against one rider in the finale you should always win. A junior coach would make them ride home.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Really though, does anyone think the Schlecks could have won? They couldn't string him out a 6k to go...it was Gilbert that attacked and dropped Andy. Then on the final stretch, if Frank attacked, Gilbert would simply have got on his wheel, then Andy's, then Frank's, then sprinted for the win and got it. IMO.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    they could have at least tried, what did they have to loose?
  • emadden
    they could have at least tried, what did they have to loose?

+100 ... Andy even led out the sprint....
    www.dotcycling.com
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Really though, does anyone think the Schlecks could have won? They couldn't string him out a 6k to go...it was Gilbert that attacked and dropped Andy. Then on the final stretch, if Frank attacked, Gilbert would simply have got on his wheel, then Andy's, then Frank's, then sprinted for the win and got it. IMO.

Who knows if they would have won, probably not. But they would have stood a better chance of winning if they actually tried to win rather than settling for holding each others hand on the podium
  • afx237vi

Surprised by you, FF. Surely it's better to attack and lose after a good fight rather than giving up and conceding defeat from 15km out?
  • redbicycle
    redbicycle Posts: 271
    As Eric Zabel once famously said after MSR, "what'd you'd like to do after 300km of racing and what you CAN do are sometimes two different things..." Applies here - I think the Schleck's were completely out of gas. Perfect race by Gilbert, clearly no one can match him.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Well done on Uran getting fifth
  • Yes, impressive yet somewhat disappointing too.

Gilbert fans and Schleck haters will love it, but anyone hoping for a dramatic battling finale will feel it was an anti-climax.
  • frenchfighter
    afx237vi wrote:

Surprised by you, FF. Surely it's better to attack and lose after a good fight rather than giving up and conceding defeat from 15km out?

100% certain they should have buried themselves in relays, going again each time Gilbert caught up with Schleck 2 on his wheel. It would have made for a better spectacle by miles too. I just don't think they could have bettered him, especially as they looked a little fried.
    Contador is the Greatest