Giro d'Italia Startlist

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jimycooper wrote:
    was just about to say about Guardini - why would the team leave him out, surely he's the best shot for stage wins after visconti?

hmm :roll:

It's probably a bit soon for him. He's only a 21 year old neo-pro who has even done a Pro Tour race yet. The Giro's a big step up. He's got plenty of time - no point ruining him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Bad form after the promise.
    He could have done what the rest of the sane sprinters will do.
    10 days and out before the big, scary monsters.
    Heck, he's been kick serious butt in Turkey.

Might have helped to take the pressure off Visconti, too.

Geraint rode a whole Giro at 21.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    like blazing said, im sure he could get on the podium and gain experience just riding the first third
  • RichN95.
    Bad form after the promise.
    He could have done what the rest of the sane sprinters will do.
    10 days and out before the big, scary monsters.
    Heck, he's been kick serious butt in Turkey.

Might have helped to take the pressure off Visconti, too.

Yeah, but he's yet to win in a race over 150km (most were under 130), so 200km at Giro pace is a big difference. I'm not sure he would have contended.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Michael Mørkøv: “I’m pleased to be helping Contador, because I got an excellent impression of him in the Volta ao Algarve, which is the only race I’ve ridden with him.

"He’s an exceptional rider, the perfect captain, but also a sympathic man, and in Portugal at least, I saw that he knew how to appreciate his teammates’ actions in a way that really inspires you to work hard for him.” (Politiken)

Vincenzo Nibali: “Alberto is beyond any doubt the best cyclist in stage races today. He’s determined, always hungry for victory. Physically, I’m ready and focused. It will be a very difficult challenge, but I’m not going to give up. I’m going to give everything I've got to beat him and it will be the race that will put each one in his place. His presence will also be a big motivator: Do you know what it means to win a Giro over Contador?”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    BMC have just pulled Ballan and Santambroggio from the race. Doping investigation......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Talking of 21 year olds, as we were earlier, Peter Kennaugh has replaced Serge Pauwels in the Sky line up.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    That smell around Ballan just won't go away will it...

Good to see Kennaugh get a ride, I don't know any awful lot about him other than some of the hype some have been putting out. Sky seem happy for him to develop slowly which is probably a good thing, though it would be interesting to seem what sort of rider he is.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Theo Bos has been replaced by Graeme Brown < everyone's favourite sprinter.

Rabo's no longer sending a Dutch only-team which is a shame. At least for those who liked that fact anyway....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Talking of 21 year olds, as we were earlier, Peter Kennaugh has replaced Serge Pauwels in the Sky line up.

Pauwels doesn't sound like a happy chimp:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kennaug ... ro-ditalia

Contract expires at the end of the season, but how many teams will be knocking on his door considering the results he's posted for Sky? The last thing I remember him doing was getting mugged of a stage win by his DS in the Giro two years ago.